3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some pics of a recent project I have been working on (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 PM

jesus shaved you live in commack and I've never seen your max! [i know goldmember isn't around...I'm talking about the other one]
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gunther
jesus shaved you live in commack and I've never seen your max! [i know goldmember isn't around...I'm talking about the other one]

diablos gunther i moved 3 years ago and never updated cardomain! probably the only person in years to read it as i still have people asking me what else i plan on doing to the car that's been turned into a cube a year ago
Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 PM
I miss my VE

Wow Michael, nice work.. As for the windshield/backglass, you decided to take that out? If so, why?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:56 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Wow Michael, nice work.. As for the windshield/backglass, you decided to take that out? If so, why?
Better paint job.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Thanks, Yeah I took both the front and rear glass out for a couple of reasons.

1. There was a little rust bubble on the edge of the front windshield. I wanted to take the glass out and make sure it didnt spread and to grind out all of what was there.

2. As Brian said it makes for a better paint job...no tape lines and not worries about paint peeling at the edges.

Its not very hard to cut out and its not very expensive to have glued back in so its worth it to me.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
diablos gunther i moved 3 years ago and never updated cardomain! probably the only person in years to read it as i still have people asking me what else i plan on doing to the car that's been turned into a cube a year ago
That explains it.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gunther
That explains it.
i'll be out at bald hill (ampitheater x63 LIE)on tuesday nights though. didnt get to enjoy it last year.

get'em glued in mike?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:20 PM

NICE JOB Hey Mike did you have to hang dry wall in you garage to keep the dust down also what air tank do you use.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM

wow, thats cleaner than NEW.
i love the glossy black paint.. I cant wait to see the interior, sounds like its going to be nice painting some parts to match the shift **** etc. Im gonna do all that to mine someday, just cant decide on a color yet.
Im a machinist, and I never see metal get finished that nice looking lol
Im sure you said it, but theres alot of pages and reading. How did you coat/polish the intake manifold so nicely?
Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
Im sure you said it, but theres alot of pages and reading. How did you coat/polish the intake manifold so nicely?
no need to reitterate again what was said before in the past.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Michael
Thanks, Yeah I took both the front and rear glass out for a couple of reasons.

1. There was a little rust bubble on the edge of the front windshield. I wanted to take the glass out and make sure it didnt spread and to grind out all of what was there.

2. As Brian said it makes for a better paint job...no tape lines and not worries about paint peeling at the edges.

Its not very hard to cut out and its not very expensive to have glued back in so its worth it to me.
Oh I see.. I figured. Did you cut it by yourself or did you have a helper on the outside? At my job, we use a metal wire attached to handles on the inside and out, and we go that way, but I heard there are a number of ways to do it.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

...get'em glued in mike?
nope the guy couldn't make it out today so I am going to park it in my neighbors shop while it rains tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Mr.Davon24
NICE JOB Hey Mike did you have to hang dry wall in you garage to keep the dust down also what air tank do you use.
No I don't have anything elaborate...matter of fact I have painted cars with just tarps up. My first paint job came in the carport with nothing at all covering it up...if you pick the right time of the morning you can paint outside with no problems.

Right now I just have the insulation boards up enclosing the carport. I spray everything down with the pressure washer the day before I paint and it keeps the dust down...I still get a little but thats what sanding and polishing is for.

I have a huge industrial compressor (Champion...top of the line stuff) I got from a body shop that went out of business. Its about a $3K compressor new and I got it for $500 used.

Originally Posted by MaximaN00b
wow, thats cleaner than NEW.
i love the glossy black paint.. I cant wait to see the interior, sounds like its going to be nice painting some parts to match the shift **** etc. Im gonna do all that to mine someday, just cant decide on a color yet.
Im a machinist, and I never see metal get finished that nice looking lol
Thanks...I painted my old interior the same way and you can see it here. Different shift **** and all but same color and style. I primed the intake and valve cover with a high build primer then added the base and clear after getting it smooth.

Oh I see.. I figured. Did you cut it by yourself or did you have a helper on the outside? At my job, we use a metal wire attached to handles on the inside and out, and we go that way, but I heard there are a number of ways to do it.
Yeah I cut it out myself. I used a razor blade on the rear glass all the way around (from the inside) and on the front I used a razor blade (from the outside) for the sides and top but used a piano wire for the bottom. I didnt have someone to do it on the inside so I ran the string to the other side and worked it that way. Took a little time but worked out well.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:23 PM

i bought one of the pneumatic cutters to do the back glass on the 4th gen. used it twice and it paid for itself. works well too. when i had the front windshield replaced the guy cut it all out from the outside with a hook type razor with a t handle. once he had the top and sides cut out he pushed the glass out and cut the bottom off. never even had to remove the wiper cowl. i could never do that but he was good, fast too.
i just figured it out and i have 50+ hours into the 4th gen before i'm ready for paint. u wanna come up here for a little instead?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

i bought one of the pneumatic cutters to do the back glass on the 4th gen. used it twice and it paid for itself. works well too. when i had the front windshield replaced the guy cut it all out from the outside with a hook type razor with a t handle. once he had the top and sides cut out he pushed the glass out and cut the bottom off. never even had to remove the wiper cowl. i could never do that but he was good, fast too.
i just figured it out and i have 50+ hours into the 4th gen before i'm ready for paint. u wanna come up here for a little instead?

yeah I thought about getting some kind of cutter but figured the razor works well enough. The problem with the 3rd gen SE is the rubber part is part of the window and you really cant cut it out from the outside without messing up that trim. The GXE is easy because all the trim is separate...I dont know about the 4th gen.

I have no idea how many hours I have on this third gen but I know I am just about worn out. I still have a friends 3rd gen to paint as well but I am going to take a break after finishing this on before starting on that...I have no idea when I could even come up there to do any work.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

BTW I bought some new toys today. I got some 3M trizact 3000 grit DA paper (actually sponges). Let me tell you it makes buffing so easy its almost unfair.

I start with 1500 grit DA paper dry and then do the trizact wet. Let me tell you it makes the panel very flat and easy to buff. Doesnt take much to buff 3000 grit. I was concerned I would be sanding for a while to get the 1500 out with the 3000 but I didnt have to sand much at all...very little work.

Anyway they are rather expensive at over $7 a disk but they last longer since you do it wet and its just getting 1500 out. It is well worth it (I bought 3 which should be enough to finish the car) and I love them and will be using them for all my projects in the future.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 PM

those valve covers are
Old 04-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

BTW I bought some new toys today. I got some 3M trizact 3000 grit DA paper (actually sponges). Let me tell you it makes buffing so easy its almost unfair.

I start with 1500 grit DA paper dry and then do the trizact wet. Let me tell you it makes the panel very flat and easy to buff. Doesnt take much to buff 3000 grit. I was concerned I would be sanding for a while to get the 1500 out with the 3000 but I didnt have to sand much at all...very little work.

Anyway they are rather expensive at over $7 a disk but they last longer since you do it wet and its just getting 1500 out. It is well worth it (I bought 3 which should be enough to finish the car) and I love them and will be using them for all my projects in the future.

i was thinking about getting the 3000 trizact grit but i'll wait until the weather warms up a little more in the NE. it probably won't knock down bad orange peel but i'm sure it makes for easy buffing.

you get a fresh air system yet? with all the painting that you do it should be something to consider..no?
Old 04-18-2007, 08:02 AM

sounds cool thanks for the info.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 PM

did you get a special DA or pad for it or are you attaching it to your reg DA? i have a hutchins(?)da/polisher i got from a friend cheap because he bought a ton of useless crap and lost his job. it has a 1 inch and 3 inch pad to polish out small areas. havent tried it yet, or even found a use for it really, but i think i can get a reg 5/6 inch pad to bolt up to it. it'd be nice to get that setup for it.
my friend had used that on his black chevelle and he turned out a great job.
the molding is seppt on the 4th gen, bt i cut it out from the inside on the top and sides and from the outside on the bottom. i had the second one cut out in about 10 minutes. biggest fear is that the vibration would shatter the glass.

got the doors painted?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:29 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

did you get a special DA or pad for it or are you attaching it to your reg DA? i have a hutchins(?)da/polisher i got from a friend cheap because he bought a ton of useless crap and lost his job. it has a 1 inch and 3 inch pad to polish out small areas. havent tried it yet, or even found a use for it really, but i think i can get a reg 5/6 inch pad to bolt up to it. it'd be nice to get that setup for it.
my friend had used that on his black chevelle and he turned out a great job.
the molding is seppt on the 4th gen, bt i cut it out from the inside on the top and sides and from the outside on the bottom. i had the second one cut out in about 10 minutes. biggest fear is that the vibration would shatter the glass.

got the doors painted?

Well I have heard that you are supposed to do the short throw DAs (mine are actually orbital sanders...you know the palm sander deals) but I just use my regular one. I use an intermediate pad in between the 1500 disk if I am going to be around corners. Its a thick very soft and cushiony pad that has a lot of give to it so you wont cut the corners or contours really bad. Other than that I use a regular pad.

For the Trizact I just use the softer version of the hook it II pad. They have one for filler sanding thats hard but this one is for final sanding and is much softer.

The Trazact is pretty thick anyway since its a foam pad. When I finished with the 3000 it was slick and it left no sand scratches that you could see. Great stuff.

I painted the doors Sunday night...have buffed one and mounted it...I am going to do the rest tonight. Saturday I am going to paint the rest of the parts and install them Mon or tuesday.

Hopefully the car will be completely together by Wed.

I will update with some new pics when I can get some meaningful ones.

next time I sand with the trizact I will take a pic and show how slick that disk makes it.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well I got some pics of the rear door after I went over it with the 3000 grit Trazact disk. It shows how much it slicks it up before polishing.

I really wish I had used this for all of my projects. I remember hand sanding Austins car...my arms were sore for weeks.

none of it is buffed yet in these pics...

Old 04-20-2007, 07:59 PM

Whoa what a difference.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by DanNY
i was thinking about getting the 3000 trizact grit but i'll wait until the weather warms up a little more in the NE. it probably won't knock down bad orange peel but i'm sure it makes for easy buffing.

you get a fresh air system yet? with all the painting that you do it should be something to consider..no?

How did I miss your post...you must have done a mod thing and put it there when I wasnt looking lol.

The 3000 grit Trizact will not cut peal...its way to fine to do any cutting. Cut it with 1200 or 1500 first and then go over it with the 3000 grit. Its way easier to get out 3000 grit sand scratches than 1200 or 1500. Very little buffing time is required.

I say go for it...get some good 3m hook it II 1500 grit and the Trazact and you will be wishing you had done this all along just like I am.

as far as the fresh air system goes I only have one more paint job...maybe two to do until I am finished painting for a while. After I build my shop I am going to seriously look into one though. I have gotten my shop pretty efficient with the paint evacuation now though and I am not as bothered by the chemicals as I used to be. I am also going to keep my eye out for shops going out of business or upgrading and get a real paint booth.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:14 AM

WOW, I'm definately going to look into it. you said you were pretty much suing with with a palm sander right? you dont have a da with a water attachment
Old 04-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

WOW, I'm definately going to look into it. you said you were pretty much suing with with a palm sander right? you dont have a da with a water attachment

nope just one of my orbital sanders in one hand and a garden hose in the other...yeah I know technically most people use a rag to squeeze water but thats usually for hand sanding...machine sanding is so fast I just use the water hose.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

nope just one of my orbital sanders in one hand and a garden hose in the other...yeah I know technically most people use a rag to squeeze water but thats usually for hand sanding...machine sanding is so fast I just use the water hose.
hey it works...go with it.
as long as your water bill is not TOO high
Old 04-23-2007, 04:43 PM

i use an old soap bottle or a spray bottle, a little bit of soap in to to lube things up and make for an easier clean up.

no updates!?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

i use an old soap bottle or a spray bottle, a little bit of soap in to to lube things up and make for an easier clean up.

no updates!?

sorry just been busy on it.

doors are on and back together, windows and windshield are back in, bumpers and fenders are sanded and ready for paint first thing in the morning...it will come down to the line but it will be finished.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:05 PM

Sry to get OT but Micheal i sent you a pm about a week ago about some painting tips and you havent responded.... could you help me out?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 04-24-2007, 04:13 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22
Sry to get OT but Micheal i sent you a pm about a week ago about some painting tips and you havent responded.... could you help me out?

Thanks,
Alex

no sorry I have barely had time to sit at the computer lately...I was probably too busy to respond the day I got it and just forgot.

you can find you answers on the net by searching. Check paint forums and you should be able to find what you are looking for.

sorry I just don't have time to sit down, think about and write out what your asking about...check the stickies for my post with painting tips and there should be links to paint boards and also some "how to" sites.

OR PM shavedmax, therealgoon or DanNY and see if they have time to help you right now but I am pretty sure if you look at some of the sites I linked to in the stickies you should find all you need.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 PM

no problem, ill check out the websites and painting stickies, ill probally ask shavedmax or someone for help.

Thanks
Alex
Old 04-25-2007, 04:29 AM

mike's painting stickie is still on the 3rd gen page i think. great info on it. other than that, trial and error(how most of us have learned, lol)
Old 04-25-2007, 07:53 AM

I was just looking to patch some paint chip holes with a rattle can im not going to paint a whole car... that is why i just asked instead of searching.

If you have any tips for that can you pm me please.
Alex
Old 04-25-2007, 03:50 PM

paint chips=touch up paint, rattle can will look like poop on a stick
Old 04-26-2007, 04:33 PM

you should really start a new thread for your topic since it isnt related to mike's rebuilding of his car.

from what i see those parts need to be repaired and repainted, rattle can and tochup will both look like poop
Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 PM

deleted, sry about that...
Old 04-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well its finished but unfortunately I didnt get to enjoy it all. the buyer came in yesterday and the car wasn't even close to being finished. He was very understanding and was actually excited to get to work on it and help me finish putting it back together.

These pics are not very good because of the time of day but he had to get back to TX. He promised me he would get some pics in good lighting later. There are still some good reflection shots though.

All in all its the best paint job I have done to date. It turned out really nice with just a flaw or two but nothing that is really noticeable (I just know they are there).

anyway

Old 04-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well its finished but unfortunately I didnt get to enjoy it all. the buyer came in yesterday and {snip}
Nice. Maybe his check made it a little easier to let it go.

edit: What kind of wheels are going on there? Needs Formula 5s.
Old 04-28-2007, 02:04 PM

no finished engine bay shots mike? it looks very good
Old 04-28-2007, 02:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well its finished but unfortunately I didnt get to enjoy it all. the buyer came in yesterday and the car wasn't even close to being finished. He was very understanding and was actually excited to get to work on it and help me finish putting it back together.

These pics are not very good because of the time of day but he had to get back to TX. He promised me he would get some pics in good lighting later. There are still some good reflection shots though.

All in all its the best paint job I have done to date. It turned out really nice with just a flaw or two but nothing that is really noticeable (I just know they are there).

anyway

You're kind of pissing me off because I want one

and because while I know how inexpensive it is to do maximas, if you did the same work to older cars... you could bring in higher margins. Then again you probably wouldn't sell them but that's beside the point

Seriously Mike, if you do another 3rd gen promise me you'll start a company and start attaching numbers to the cars. They are awesome.

(however that needs moar spoiler )

Quick Reply: Some pics of a recent project I have been working on (56k beware)