3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some pics of a recent project I have been working on (56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
The man has a few other priorities right now....
It's ok, I told him I don't need the attention

Originally Posted by Michael
I really need to finish it though because I have a couple people interested in it and I don't want to miss the sell.
A chance to have Austin's twin.... intriguing
Old 03-19-2007, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
A chance to have Austin's twin.... intriguing
My car doesn't have anywhere near the level of engine detail work that one has. Mine does, however, have excellent wheels.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:40 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Well I figured I would update this thread with a couple of interior pieces.

I will get paint pics soon I promise.

anyway I got my shifter **** (specifically chose this one because its screw on) and ebrake handle and they didn't quite match so I decided to do something about it.

here is a pic of them before:

and here are a couple of pics after a few minutes of sanding and polishing wheel/jewelers rouge:

I will go over them with a fine wheel and finishing rouge and then probably powder clear them.

I have brand new black ebrake boot and shifter boot to go with it and I will paint the shifter surround, radio surround and upper trim silverstone like my last VE5. I think it will all look really good together.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

man those look like something else lol
Old 04-08-2007, 11:52 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Beautiful work michael...
Old 04-08-2007, 05:15 PM

SHiiiny
Old 04-08-2007, 05:44 PM

Does it come with batteries?...LOL
Old 04-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
man those look like something else lol

Originally Posted by maxitech
Does it come with batteries?...LOL

get your minds out of the gutters guys.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:36 AM

We cant dude! We're greasy ****-head teenagers reemember?

Actually, I will turn 21 in about 2 months!!!!!!! dude I'm fillin up my max with liquor like that guy did a while back! as long as I have money and my old cloth interior to put in I should be fine
Old 04-09-2007, 04:28 AM

We cant dude! We're greasy ****-head teenagers reemember?
i didnt know that after nineteen there was twentyteen.............. but i guess you never really grow up.

looks good mike, do any work to the car itself?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:11 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by shavedmax
i didnt know that after nineteen there was twentyteen.............. but i guess you never really grow up.

looks good mike, do any work to the car itself?

yup...I have everything ready to spray except the trunk and hood (which should be ready to spray today). I am going to try and spray my epoxy sealer tomorrow and let it sit over night and spray the color Wed. I am waiting 24 hours because most recommend that with the epoxy (instead of the 30 min the info sheet says). The recoat on this epoxy is 3 days so it will still take the color well. This is my first time to use epoxy as a sealer so I want to be careful. If it were any color but black I wouldn't even use a sealer (I would rather have a nice slick 600 grit sanded surface) but the heavy pigment of black pretty much requires the chemical bond of a sealer.

Of course I will not be spraying the entire car at once since I have everything off (and I mean everything) and not enough room so it will be well into the weekend before every piece is painted.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 AM

Nice job Michael. This is exactly why I'll be adding a 3rd gen to the family this weekend.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:36 PM

yup...I have everything ready to spray except the trunk and hood (which should be ready to spray today). I am going to try and spray my epoxy sealer tomorrow and let it sit over night and spray the color Wed. I am waiting 24 hours because most recommend that with the epoxy (instead of the 30 min the info sheet says). The recoat on this epoxy is 3 days so it will still take the color well. This is my first time to use epoxy as a sealer so I want to be careful. If it were any color but black I wouldn't even use a sealer (I would rather have a nice slick 600 grit sanded surface) but the heavy pigment of black pretty much requires the chemical bond of a sealer.

Of course I will not be spraying the entire car at once since I have everything off (and I mean everything) and not enough room so it will be well into the weekend before every piece is painted.
i'm debating doing that myself on the black 4th gen. this way i can finish off 2 panels at a time,paint them and not worry as much about the overspray or the neighbors complaining. i dunno, we'll see. i just got started on it, still a way to go
Old 04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I got the quarters and roof painted. My lighting is horrible but you can tell by the reflections that its pretty slick and has a nice shine. I will get some outside pics when I get a chance but tomorrow its supposed to storm so I dont know if it will be then.

I used some 3M plastic masking material that is really nice. Its made to take paint like paper and not flake off like normal plastic. it made taping it off cake. I just back taped the opening and stuck the plastic to it...cut the excess off and its masked.

anyway here are pics of it in my "booth"...I will update when I have better lighting pics...

Old 04-13-2007, 04:32 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

God i need to to bring my car to you...

Looks good michael..
Old 04-13-2007, 05:24 PM

F shooting it myself, I'm taking it to you. Put in down in 2 years, lol.

Is that straight black? Or the pearl.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:27 PM

I got the quarters and roof painted. My lighting is horrible but you can tell by the reflections that its pretty slick and has a nice shine. I will get some outside pics when I get a chance but tomorrow its supposed to storm so I dont know if it will be then.

I used some 3M plastic masking material that is really nice. Its made to take paint like paper and not flake off like normal plastic. it made taping it off cake. I just back taped the opening and stuck the plastic to it...cut the excess off and its masked.

anyway here are pics of it in my "booth"...I will update when I have better lighting pics...
very nice mike, was it just plain black kh3 or did you add anything to the paint?

i "lost" my booth today, windy as hell and it bent 2 legs. luckily it didnt end up in my neighbor's yard this time.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
God i need to to bring my car to you...

Looks good michael...
Thanks...you can bring it here for a price .

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
F shooting it myself, I'm taking it to you. Put in down in 2 years, lol.

Is that straight black? Or the pearl.

in two years I hope to have my actual shop and booth so you might be my inaugural paint job .

It is just straight black. I decided since I was selling it to just go back stock color. I do have another 3rd gen in my drive way I will be painting the pearl black color.

very nice mike, was it just plain black kh3 or did you add anything to the paint?

i "lost" my booth today, windy as hell and it bent 2 legs. luckily it didnt end up in my neighbor's yard this time.
Thanks...it actually came out really nice...much nicer than I expected (very little dust or peel). I did stick with the KH3. I used a very high solids clear (52%) with the Transtar Euro clear. I really like how it sprayed.

ouch on the "booth"...any way to straighten the polls or you just gonna have to junk it?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 PM

LOL

Looks very nice, I can only imagine the satisfaction you must get by making a car look brand new again.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:48 PM
kthxbye2u

im not going to give you any more attention... since thats EXACTLY what you want from us

dude i love it
Old 04-14-2007, 03:51 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
im not going to give you any more attention... since thats EXACTLY what you want from us

dude i love it

:attention
Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 AM

Thanks...it actually came out really nice...much nicer than I expected (very little dust or peel). I did stick with the KH3. I used a very high solids clear (52%) with the Transtar Euro clear. I really like how it sprayed.

ouch on the "booth"...any way to straighten the polls or you just gonna have to junk it?
one of the poles i had already straightened out, it bent where it slides into the top, i should be able to straighten it again, the other one is bent in the middle, i dont see it comming back to life too easily. oh well, just gives me a reason to build the garage now.................

i havent used transtar in a while, i did like how it sprayed out though. i still have a gallon of the limco(glasurit) clear i had bought so i'll be using that on the 98. how long did it take to dry?
Old 04-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

...how long did it take to dry?
it dried really fast (at least out of dust) because I used the fast activator (good up to 80*) since I am painting small sections at a time. I barely got to finish just the part I did.

If I had to paint the whole car at once I would have had to use the slow activator or I would have dry spray all over it because of the temp.

It says its out of dust in 30 min. but it had gotten hotter than I planned (still below 80* though) so I am pretty sure it was out of dust in less than 20 min.

all in all I am very pleased with it...now I just have to see how well it buffs.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:59 AM

it dried really fast (at least out of dust) because I used the fast activator (good up to 80*) since I am painting small sections at a time. I barely got to finish just the part I did.

If I had to paint the whole car at once I would have had to use the slow activator or I would have dry spray all over it because of the temp.

It says its out of dust in 30 min. but it had gotten hotter than I planned (still below 80* though) so I am pretty sure it was out of dust in less than 20 min.

all in all I am very pleased with it...now I just have to see how well it buffs.
lotta work to just sell it.............
Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM

How about keeping it and enjoying it for a year or so?
Old 04-14-2007, 01:03 PM
Alex_V

Michael, my maxima told me to ask you if you or your max will consider having its babies? The 240 is quite jealous as well.

How much for a respray of the max? I wanted to DIM in a few years but I couldn't ever be that good.

~Alex

Old 04-14-2007, 02:01 PM

Looks great Michael. Cant wait to see pics of it all finished.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:08 PM

Nice job on the valve cover
Old 04-14-2007, 04:20 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

yeah probably so but to ask what I am asking I want it to be as nice and as close to brand new as possible.

Originally Posted by maxitech

How about keeping it and enjoying it for a year or so?
Then I wouldnt be able to sell it for as much as I am selling it for now. Besides I need to finish the room more than I need a car.

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Michael, my maxima told me to ask you if you or your max will consider having its babies? The 240 is quite jealous as well.

How much for a respray of the max? I wanted to DIM in a few years but I couldn't ever be that good.

~Alex
no way my max is the stud not the female

By the time you got it down here and had to leave it for half a year (yeah I am slow) it wouldnt be worth it.

Originally Posted by JRS89MAX
Looks great Michael. Cant wait to see pics of it all finished.
well hopefully those pics will come by the end of next weekend. Still have a lot to do but it needs to be together by next weekend.

Originally Posted by 90stanza
Nice job on the valve cover
LOL did you read the whole thread or look at any of the other pics or is the valve cover the only thing you like on this project? Thats fine if thats the case...just curious.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:00 PM
mod or sell?

I've got 'bird that needs a paint job
Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM

Dude, you are quite skilled and truly inspire me to learn, which leads me to my question. Where did you learn to do bodywork?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:52 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Dude, you are quite skilled and truly inspire me to learn, which leads me to my question. Where did you learn to do bodywork?
well I used to help out a friend a little here and there. I just kinda learned a little then. Most of what I learned was from reading, trying and asking my friends that do paint and body. Some was trial and error though.

There are a lot of good places on the net to read and learn and also there are some places you can buy DVDs of how to do it (thats what I wish I had done...may have saved me some money in the long run).
Old 04-16-2007, 03:43 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

how about some reflection pictures...

Man this thing is coming together slow. I sure wish there was an org member near me that wanted to learn how to do this stuff and help me out. It will come together in time though.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Man this thing is coming together slow. I sure wish there was an org member near me that wanted to learn how to do this stuff and help me out. It will come together in time though.

if you were only a lil closer buddy...........
looks awesome, is that polished or out of the "booth"
Old 04-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

if you were only a lil closer buddy...........
looks awesome, is that polished or out of the "booth"
How much vacation time do you have and how much is a flight down here .

thats polished...I had a little bit of peal and some trash to get out.

Hopefully the glass guy can come tomorrow and put the front and back windshields in. Its supposed to rain Wednesday and I need it to be out of the booth. I should be able to put the doors on tomorrow as well.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:25 PM

Man thats glossy I'd love to learn how to do that stuff but alas, im not close enough
Old 04-16-2007, 04:28 PM

nice job on the engine parts
Old 04-16-2007, 05:16 PM

Oh yeeeah! More motivation to get it done!

The reflection has a contrasting effect on the tree, lol.
I have plenty of vacation time!.. But no time for vacation.....

EDIT: Mapquest says 5 hours 8 mintes. Hmmmm!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 05:37 PM

How much vacation time do you have and how much is a flight down here .

thats polished...I had a little bit of peal and some trash to get out.

Hopefully the glass guy can come tomorrow and put the front and back windshields in. Its supposed to rain Wednesday and I need it to be out of the booth. I should be able to put the doors on tomorrow as well.
seriously, i have about 2 weeks, but i wouldnt be able to take it until next week at least and i have a wedding on sat.

as far as the flight, not sure. closest airport is islip/macarthur, then jfk, then laguardia.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
kthxbye2u

how much would shipping cost for 175lbs 3'x3'x6' box be?
over-nite of course

Quick Reply: Some pics of a recent project I have been working on (56k beware)