3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Does the VE really like intake(HAI or CAI)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:30 PM
The Bulgarian Guy

Does the VE really like intake(HAI or CAI)?

Long time ago I had a VE that after putting a cone filter in,would become not happy at all-it would start cutting out and loosing power for no reason. As soon as I put the original panel filter,things would be back to normal. Recently I replaced my stock filter with a K&N panel one(different ve) and it seems like the engine is not running 100% right. Of course, I threw away the old filter so I can't swap them back and see if there is a difference. Part of the problem also is that my KS was not functioning before I swapped the filters so I can't tell if the car was running better before or not. Confused?Sorry...Shortly after I put the K&N, I stuck a 470k ohm resistor. I know that I don't have detonation at any rmp's(stock timing,93 octane, excellent compression-great motor). Pretty much, this ve is just as fast as my old vg. Actually, the reason behind this thread is that I raced a friend's bmw 635csi(85) and I lost. I don't understand how a 200 pounds lighter car with a little more power and higher redline can be slower that this bmw(he has an exhaust leak that is not helping him either). Any input?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Way out West

I doubt that your problem(s) have anything to do with your air filter set up, unless you messed with (even accidentally) some wires or connections.

Cutting out and losing power sounds like coil packs or MAF. You might also have a poor state of tune, manifold stud leaks, vacuum leaks or any number of faulty sensors or wiring. There are a lot of things to go wrong or lead to loss or power or running poorly. Did you check for codes? What kind of mpg do you get?

You didn't say if your car was an AT or 5-speed. Aside from a modded AT (like Aaron92SE) the VE ATs aren't as fast as the manuals.

Really, without sufficient track times or dyno results, it is hard to say if your car is slow, his is fast, you suck at driving, etc.
Old 11-21-2006, 04:49 PM
The Bulgarian Guy

I guess I'll have to pick up a cheap air filter and try it...The cutting out in my previous VE didn't feel lile a coil problem(I've had 9 3rd gen so far ) Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 11:14 PM
I miss my VE

Thats a good question. I read many times on here that the HAI will make you lose low end, but you will gain top end. And vice versa for the CAI. Many haven't felt a difference. Is the mod even worth it? Why not just have a nuetral setting with the stock air box? Is it just done for the intake noise?
Old 11-26-2006, 07:43 PM

Try cleaning the MAF. I have a VG but experienced similar problems when I went to a CAI. Go to your local parts store and purchase some CRC MAF cleaner.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:31 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

I'll try I guess although it seems that the problem is somewhere else. Before the maf cleaning I plan on trying some seafoam by injecting it inyo one of my vacuum hoses but first I need to read up on it a little more just to make sure I don't screw up anything. Thank you guys...

P.S.
II was messing with my yaris yesterday and took the air filter out. It looks like cloth and it was close to impossible to blow through it. I thought that removing such a restrictive filter would open up the car nicely but when I test drove it around the block the car was actually feeling slower. Why is this happening? Also, by feeling slower I mean less power through out the whole rpm range. Last, when I put the cone filter into the ve it got messed up instantly and when I put back the stock filter it fixed itself instantly as well which kind of eliminates the bad MAF option.