3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

95-98 240sx Steering Wheel in 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

95-98 240sx Steering Wheel in 3rd Gen

What would be required to swap a 95-98 240sx steering wheel into a 3rd gen?
Old 11-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The steering wheel

It should just slip right on and bolt up. Being that new it'll likely be an air bag wheel so that won't be active, naturally. The larger issue is you'll likely lose your cruise control controls and there's a slight chance as well that the turn signals won't disengage. I've not swapped a wheel on mine yet so I'm not positive on those things but they're definite possibilities.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:48 PM
Way out West

The steering wheel is above the turn signals, so that shouldn't come into play.

If the donated steering wheel has cruise with the same kind of set up, it should work. I am not sure about the airbag part, though. I think the cruise control units on pretty much all Nissans with an airbag (93+) are the same. 95-98 airbag stuff might be different -- as in it might work with a 95-98 Maxima, but not a 3rd gen.

I have a 91 240sx steering wheel in my 92 Maxima (non airbag for both) and my cruise control and horn work as normal. The airbag thing doesn't come into play for me. The cruise control on mine has copper rings that connect inside. I am not sure if the airbag models use that method or something else.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:03 AM

I'm not concerned about hooking up the air bag. The wheel is already bought, so I'll probably bring it into the dealership to see what they say about putting cruise on it. If I can get the controls put on it down to the wiring harness, we will be able to wire it up just fine to the existing wiring for the old cruise control setup.

It sounds like it's an easy bolt on thing besides the cc. I appreciate the info. I'll post how it ends up going once it's on the car a few months from now.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
The steering wheel

you took my answer!
Old 12-03-2006, 05:59 AM

non airbag maxima:
a 240sx airbag wheel will bolt onto a non airbag maxima but the horn, cruise, airbag will not work.
a non airbag 240sx wheel will bolt onto a non airbag maxima and retain all cruise and horn functions. the horn and cruise are connected by 3 copper rings on the back side of the steering wheel that contact the 3 raised terminals on the hub.

Airbag equipped maxima:
a 240sx non airbag wheel will bolt on to the airbag equipped maxima if you remove the wiring underneath, it will look like a roll of tape. this can be rewired to retain cruise and horn functions but it is a real PIA (this is what i did)
the stock airbag wheel connects to the wiring with a solid connector and the wiring is wrapped like loose tape around the wheel hub so it can turn and not bind. all this wiring needs to be taken out to put a non airbag 240sx wheel in there. it may bolt up to an airbag wheel if it has the same type of connector, or you could probably do some hacking to the harness and make it work
Old 12-03-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by gdmaxse
non airbag maxima:
a 240sx airbag wheel will bolt onto a non airbag maxima but the horn, cruise, airbag will not work.

This is the situation that I'm in.

What do you think would entail getting that beast in there to get the horn and cruise to work?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:08 AM

ok well let me say this first, it CAN be done but it will require soldering some wires and some trial and error. i recommend finding a non airbag wheel out of an 89-93 240 or even an early 300zx because those wheels will bolt right up with no modifications.
If you absolutely must use the airbag wheel here is what you will need to do to get the horn and cruise to work:
Old 12-03-2006, 09:09 AM

on the airbag steering wheel there should be two connectors, one for the airbag and one for the horn, cruise. the horn and cruise connector should have 3 prongs and the airbag connector should have two. the three prongs on the horn cruise connector need to be connected to the 3 terminals on the steering wheel hub somehow. you will need to use the trial and error method to find out which ones correspond because i cant remember off of the top of my head. i think the middle terminal on the hub is the horn connection. once you find the horn, connect the other two and drive, if the cruise works leave it, if it doesn’t work swap the two. also, the horn will only work when the steering wheel is actually contacting the hub so you will need to put it on to check if the horn is working but you don’t need to tighten the bolt down. you may be able to follow the individual wires on both your non airbag and airbag wheel to see which ones correspond. once you figure out which ones correspond, you will need to solder a length of wire on to each terminal on the steering wheel hub. then wrap the wires loosely around the hub maybe 5- 10 times (so it will not bind when you turn the wheel full lock) and connect the other ends to the corresponding prongs in the connector on the steering wheel. you can cut off the harness and just twist the wires together while you are test fitting them but i would suggest soldering them so they don’t pull apart.
Sorry if this sounds a little long and confusing, but it has been a while since i did this and i did the opposite(non airbag wheel into airbag maxima), so mine was a little different. it really doesn’t take that long once you figure out what wires to connect. also i dont think a dealer would be up for this kind of geto rigging unless they are a good friend of yours and are familiar with wiring things up from scratch.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:59 AM

gdmaxse,

Thank you for the info. I have the wheel already, so it's going to have to go this route. I was planning on getting the dealer just to get the cruise set-up working (since the steering wheel doesn't have cruise control on it already.) Then, a friend of mine that knows electronics really well and I are going to mount it and connect everything.

I really appreciate your insight, as it will help a lot while doing this part of the project. When we get around to the steering wheel (which will be a while because the interior is the 2nd-to-last thing I am going to do) I will let you know how it goes. Again, I appreciate all of your insight, big-time. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2006, 05:57 PM

I bet that the reason your cruise doesnt work is the vaccum powered actuator its the thing that connects to the throtle body right beside the throttle cable. you can probly get one at a junkyard, or in the for sale section.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by twinkle
I bet that the reason your cruise doesnt work is the vaccum powered actuator its the thing that connects to the throtle body right beside the throttle cable. you can probly get one at a junkyard, or in the for sale section.
Originally Posted by '90_Maxima
the steering wheel doesn't have cruise control on it
^
I have to get the correct cruise control switch mounted on the steering wheel.