3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just Talked With a "Tranny Guy"

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Seems like he knows his stuff...Had his own shop for part of the 18 years he worked around Grand Rapids...Said he has worked on pretty much everything foreign and domestic. Lives way out in No-Man's-Land now and works out of his barn. Also said the humming noise coming from my tranny is just a bearing starting to get worn.

Anyway, I was talking to him about the differences between a non-VLSD model like mine and the VLSD model. He said that he could turn my VG-5 into a limited slip unit. Is there any merit to this statement?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

@ thread title...

I'm pretty sure the vg casing will not hold a vlsd unit...

Why not just get a ve trans/axles/hubs?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

define "limited slip"
is it a clutch type? gear type? spring type?
Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
I'm needing a caw

Yes, he might be able to stuff a Quaife (if it will even match to the axles) but the VE case is buldged to accomodate the VSLD unit in there.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:43 PM
mod or sell?

Lincoln Locker
Old 04-17-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Should have told him that you knew he had a mainshaft
Old 04-17-2007, 06:54 PM

I wouldn't upgrade a Vg tranny. If you looked inside both a vg and Ve trans. You'll see the Ve is just beefier.

You sure he isn't just going to weld your axles together? lol
Old 04-17-2007, 07:45 PM

Of course I want a VE VLSD tranny...but if / when my tranny goes, this guy is down the road a few miles...waiting on a quote from him...anyway, as things currently sit, I could buy a used VE tranny ($400 shipped) and put it in an see how far that takes me...We'll see how this guys rebuild price compares to that $400...The current tranny is staying right where it is until it doesn't go no mo'...

I've done close to all the mods I reallly want to on this car, time to start focusing on my game plan for acquiring a Goat...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Why would you not just go with a VE swap. It seems like it would be almost drop in, right? Maybe using hybrid axles with VE inners. What other mods are needed?
Zach
Old 04-17-2007, 08:41 PM
Alex_V

For a VG-5 all you need are tranny, axles and hubs. Or hybrid axles and a tranny. No other mods.

~Alex

Old 04-17-2007, 09:09 PM
STFU n00b!

The VG and VQ trannies use the same open diff.
the quaife is designed around the 4 gen open diff.

According to the other guys in the SC/turbo forum, the VG, VE, and VQ-5 guts are all the same but I don't believe that.

nonetheless, the VG should be able to fit a quaife diff.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

According to the other guys in the SC/turbo forum, the VG, VE, and VQ-5 guts are all the same but I don't believe that.

It comes down to price, Matt...and when the tranny finally bites the dust I will see what I can afford...from this point will it go down hill quicky or take awhile? it still shifts and acts fine, so I'll keep driving it for now. When it does fail, will it progressively get worse as mentioned above, or will it catostrophically fail?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
from this point will it go down hill quicky or take awhile? it still shifts and acts fine, so I'll keep driving it for now. When it does fail, will it progressively get worse as mentioned above, or will it catostrophically fail?
If the whine is in fact your input shaft bearing going out, you'll eventually start hearing the ***** smacking together instead of the sound you're hearing now. I put around 10k miles on my car before I got around to fixing it. I was finally forced into doing it, but it wasn't becuase of a "catostrophic" failure. Eventually, bits and pieces of the broken cage were loose and kept shorting out the position switch in turn blowing the engine control fuse every time I moved the shifter. Around that time, it would also get locked out of 1-2 and make loud grinding sounds when letting off the clutch a lot of the time. It's definitely possible to cause more problems than that though, I think it was mtcookson who told me he busted off parts of the case by not changing it out when he had the chance. So if it progresses, plan on replacing the bearing this summer.

I'm still wondering if your whining sound is the front bearing though. Maybe make an audio or video file while driving.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:50 AM
STFU n00b!

exactly what he said. the problem will slowly cause other issues to happen.

mine was simply a 1,2,5,r lockout. so I only had 3&4 sometimes. once I'd get rolling, then I could shift back into 1-5+r, but often I would be forced to start off from a light in 3rd gear in heavy traffic. get rolling about 5mph, then the fluid would move the bits around and I could downshift again and get outta there.

It also got to the point it was causing enough shaft wobble to ruin the seal on the input shaft and i had royal purple75w90 literally RUNNING into the bellhousing while the car was running. I was at a track event and got black flagged because they could see the oil dripping out and hitting my exhaust, causing smoke behind the car.
when I pulled into the pits, I had a 4" puddle (not a small spot that seeped to 4", but a real puddle) of fluid every time I shut off the car.

I drove it home thursday night, pulled it apart on friday morning, rebuilt the tranny, and had it running friday evening. I was back at the track for another 2 day event on Sat & sun. no drips, no smoke.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Hectic
If the whine is in fact your input shaft bearing going out, you'll eventually start hearing the ***** smacking together instead of the sound you're hearing now. I put around 10k miles on my car before I got around to fixing it. I was finally forced into doing it, but it wasn't becuase of a "catostrophic" failure. Eventually, bits and pieces of the broken cage were loose and kept shorting out the position switch in turn blowing the engine control fuse every time I moved the shifter. Around that time, it would also get locked out of 1-2 and make loud grinding sounds when letting off the clutch a lot of the time. It's definitely possible to cause more problems than that though, I think it was mtcookson who told me he busted off parts of the case by not changing it out when he had the chance. So if it progresses, plan on replacing the bearing this summer.

I'm still wondering if your whining sound is the front bearing though. Maybe make an audio or video file while driving.
Exactly what I am getting! I traced a bunch of wires and eventually changed the O2 sensor that had a burnt wire to "fix" the fuse problem. It has been locked out of 1-2 a few times, and I am also leaking fluid. If I take it out and the case is fine, how likely is it to be rebuildable. Keep in mind that I have put about 30K on it since noises started and there seems to be thrust play now as it is louder when I have pressure on the clutch. Would a simple bearing and seal kit do it you think?
Zach
Old 04-18-2007, 02:59 PM

I am still gonna wait to hear back on a rebuild price from te guy, but I'm pretty sure I will buy a used VE unit in the near future. That way I can throw it in the trunk for Maxus, so if my tranny fails at any point during the event I'll have you guys there to help me swap it...LOL!

Seriously tho, I will probably try to have it swapped out before Maxus and maybe I can unload my current tranny for 100 bucks or so...
Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

why has no one tryed this
Old 04-18-2007, 06:12 PM
STFU n00b!

because a Quaife diff+ install is about $2000. more than the value of most of our cars.