3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Iraggi alternators ... my experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Iraggi alternators ... my experience

Hi guys,

A while ago I asked about getting a better/beefier alternator for my Max. A few of you recommended Iraggi and after exchanging several emails with Dom, I was happy to go ahead with a 90/180A beast with an underdrive pulley (because of my Unorthodox Racing UDP) for US$571 after shipping.

Delivery took a while but I eventually got it after a couple months from the day the funds were PayPal'ed. Installed it and everything was well with the alternator peaking at 15.6V with minimal load. Overall, everything was looking great.

That was until about 5 weeks after and the regulator dropped out on me, resulting in the alternator full fielding and producing a momentary spike of 18.0V! I say momentary because I immediately loaded up the system with the A/C, blower fan on full and lights. This managed to bring the voltage back down to 15.4V provided I stayed light on the throttle. I had to get to work on time so I wasn't left with much of a choice. The whine of the full fielding still left me concerned but thankfully it's a short 15 minute trip to work.

Driving back home later that afternoon, the regulator gave way completely and left me running off my battery for the last 15 mins of the trip home. I can live with this better than an alternator which may fry all the electronics if not loaded up! Anyway, I decided to get in touch with Dom about getting this thing checked out as it was still under a 1 year warranty and having the regulator converted to an external type, as I noticed it had the same crappy internal regulator found in our OEM alternators. Dom replied quite promptly while I was swapping out the alternators (I kept my OEM one as a spare - glad I did!) to his credit and told me it would cost me another US$99 to have it converted to an external regulator. Furthermore, in light of my international situation, if I were to submit it to my local auto electrician to have it repaired, any future warranty claims would be null and void. I can understand that to a certain extent.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here guys but if I'm looking for a better alternator than what I currently have, that means it must be made with better components that would be suited to the better job, no? I hope I don't sound unreasonable here but given the money spent (less US$90 for shipping), I think it's fair to say that a US$480 alternator should reflect its cost in the quality of the components and not just the labour alone. So to have to face the shipping charges in both directions for such a heavy item is one thing I'm prepared to accept and would have in this situation. But to have to pay a further US$99 so I can ensure that the alternator will not only last but in turn not cost me any further shipping charges for further warranty claims? Sorry, but that's just asking for too much.

I'm sure those of you who have dealt with Dom and recommended him to me are happy with what you've got and have had nothing but the best of luck with your alternators. In light of this, however, I'm not inclined to recommend him and if anything, I'm now left with the impression that this guy is simply out to maximise his profit margins by building sub-standard alternators in terms of light duty components for heavy duty tasks.

So I've decided, now that I have an alternator with the right windings for the task, I'm rescinding my warranty with Dom knowing that I'll get it converted with a quality Bosch external regulator for far less than what I'd be paying in shipping and Dom's additional fee.

Shame, Dominic, shame.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for updating us on this. It seems to be a hit or miss situation with this guy, some people have had great experiences and others not.

You can see reviews on http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ghlight=iraggi
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Bah Bosch sucks too, I had to replace mine 6 times cuz the regulator kept going out and causing it to blow my headlight bulbs and some fuses. Also bursted my $170 optima 3 times (God Bless 3 year warranty)
Old 05-01-2007, 07:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I’ve got a question related to this alternator/power/electrical issue. My alternator died last winter, so I got it replaced. Everything seemed alright, but I noticed a problems later on...
My headlights and dash lights were blinking. Not on and off, but almost like they were getting power surges. I took my car in to get it checked out, but my mechanic said the battery, alternator, and starter were performing normally. I think they were thinking the charging system was going out based on the problem. But after it checked it out, they didn’t really have any advice.
Any idea what this could be? My friends were thinking it might still be the alternator, possibly a cheap voltage regulator inside it. Driving around with those surging headlights is really starting to bug me… I’d appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Bah Bosch sucks too, I had to replace mine 6 times cuz the regulator kept going out and causing it to blow my headlight bulbs and some fuses. Also bursted my $170 optima 3 times (God Bless 3 year warranty)
Turns out I'm getting it converted to an external Hitachi regulator. The internal one turned out to be something of an unusual Taiwanese brand.

Thanks Dom for throwing cheap $h1t into an expensive alternator and then expecting me to pay 3 times (in shipping charges only) what it's costing me to get it fixed here!
Old 05-01-2007, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Deftone51
Any idea what this could be? My friends were thinking it might still be the alternator, possibly a cheap voltage regulator inside it. Driving around with those surging headlights is really starting to bug me… I’d appreciate any advice! Thanks!
Although it's normal to see a bit of a difference between idle and driving (your voltage can fluctuate from 12V to 14.6V and sometimes a bit higher), if you're seeing something in the mid 15's like I was, then it is definitely a cause for concern. I'd take the alternator to an auto electrician who actually knows what he's doing and get him to check out the regulator in the event it has the same cheap crap mine did. See if you can get it converted to a decent external regulator so that it is also easier to service in future (and it will keep cooler outside too).
Old 05-02-2007, 12:45 AM
No turbo, no care!

For $570 I would expect the regulator to be replaced with something better than OEM. Thats a shame. I fully support your decision to go with a local technician to add a quality external regulator!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Deftone51
Hey guys, I’ve got a question related to this alternator/power/electrical issue. My alternator died last winter, so I got it replaced. Everything seemed alright, but I noticed a problems later on...
My headlights and dash lights were blinking.
Sounds like cracked solder somewhere or a bad ground? Cracked solder is common on the power lock module, so it may not be a suprise to find it elsewhere.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Man I wondered about those aftermarked alts. But the potential for serious problems has always dissuaded me. I think I'll continue to hunt for efficiency in my stereo so I don't have to replace it...I don't want to end up like that...
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM

Personally I wouldn't trust those Iraggi alternators, they might blow up on the side of the road without warning.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Personally I wouldn't trust those Iraggi alternators, they might blow up on the side of the road without warning.
Lessons learned I guess. According to my auto electrician, the coils and diode pack are good quality but the regulator was the weakest link in the chain. There are local guys that could've custom produced what I wanted and had I known about those 2 in the least, I wouldn't have even bothered with such an item from the US (mainly due to shipping costs).

All in all, Dom needs to take a long hard look at his craftsmanship because it certainly doesn't show any pride in his work.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Who is this Dom guy you talk about, I can conclude that it is the maker but is he like amember here or something?
Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 AM

Dom (Dominic Irraggi) is the guy who produces these high current alternators. Their reliability is nothing short of a joke, given the component selection for the alternator he built for me. He trades through eBay under the username Trafficjamz.

Like I said before though, the alternator definitely does the job but only when it works! Once I get the genuine Hitachi external regulator fitted up to mine, I will have my high current output back and more importantly, I won't have to worry about having to swap my alternator for a long while yet.

I just wished that Dom would've considered my plight and at least supply me with a quality replacement regulator for the warranty, given that I already paid about US$500 for the damn thing! It should never have been built that way, it should've had a quality external regulator and to ask me to pay another US$99 for an external replacement regulator instead of the same internal one is just a friggin' joke.

That is NOT what I call quality craftsmanship and most definitely not quality support!
Old 05-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey Guys..

We dont typically get on the forums and post but its difficult to not get on there and defend yourself when you see something about you.

Pasted and commented.....

"Driving back home later that afternoon, the regulator gave way completely and left me running off my battery for the last 15 mins of the trip home. I can live with this better than an alternator which may fry all the electronics if not loaded up! Anyway, I decided to get in touch with Dom about getting this thing checked out as it was still under a 1 year warranty and having the regulator converted to an external type, as I noticed it had the same crappy internal regulator found in our OEM alternators.

Than im sure you noticed the "same crappy case style" as your factory alternator. Thats how they are a direct bolt on. Same case as factory. All plugs and connections are like factory. That doesnt mean they are the same as factory, just compatible. When we send a customer something that is not a direct bolt on - plug and play device, they freak out. Sure....we can build a bullet proof alternator...but it wont fit in your car. Your case style dictates amperage limitations and durability. For example, a large case GM is much more durable than your small case Hitatchi. Im not saying that your alternator should have had a problem, just saying that under the same load, they large case wouyld hold up better.
I guess my point is.....it may look factory, but it may not be.

Dom replied quite promptly while I was swapping out the alternators (I kept my OEM one as a spare - glad I did!) to his credit and told me it would cost me another US$99 to have it converted to an external regulator.

We only offer an external/adjustable regulator. Its $99.00 more than if you just wanted the internal one. Thats like buying a racing motor from a company and the carbeurator going bad then asking if you can have a blower with fuel injection for free instead. They are two totally different things. If you wanted to repair with the same type of regulator, that would have been free of charge, but we never got that option.

Furthermore, in light of my international situation, if I were to submit it to my local auto electrician to have it repaired, any future warranty claims would be null and void. I can understand that to a certain extent.

I cant think of ANY company that would let someone else repair their own product and still honor any type of warranty. Its not gonna happen.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here guys but if I'm looking for a better alternator than what I currently have, that means it must be made with better components that would be suited to the better job, no? I hope I don't sound unreasonable here but given the money spent (less US$90 for shipping), I think it's fair to say that a US$480 alternator should reflect its cost in the quality of the components and not just the labour alone.

The parts are better. We never got a chance to troubleshoot the cause of the problem. Maybe it was the regulator, maybe it wasnt. Who knows. We were here for you, you just chose another option.

So to have to face the shipping charges in both directions for such a heavy item is one thing I'm prepared to accept and would have in this situation. But to have to pay a further US$99 so I can ensure that the alternator will not only last but in turn not cost me any further shipping charges for further warranty claims? Sorry, but that's just asking for too much.

You knew the potential for having to return to the states for warranty when you purchased originally. Would it have been better if it were 9 months instead of 5 weeks? Again, the $99 regulator is totally different than yours.

I'm sure those of you who have dealt with Dom and recommended him to me are happy with what you've got and have had nothing but the best of luck with your alternators. In light of this, however, I'm not inclined to recommend him and if anything, I'm now left with the impression that this guy is simply out to maximise his profit margins by building sub-standard alternators in terms of light duty components for heavy duty tasks.

If were to "maximise" profits, our alternators would be $600.00+ just like everyone else.

So I've decided, now that I have an alternator with the right windings for the task, I'm rescinding my warranty with Dom knowing that I'll get it converted with a quality Bosch external regulator for far less than what I'd be paying in shipping and Dom's additional fee.

Im sorry you live thousands of miles away. Not much I can do there.

Shame, Dominic, shame.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Well here's a question I'd like to ask either Dominic or The Max:

Was The Max ever offered the alternator with an external voltage regulator or did he not know that it was an option at the time of purchase?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Was The Max ever offered the alternator with an external voltage regulator or did he not know that it was an option at the time of purchase?

No, we was not offered an external regulator. His vehicle didnt come with that style of regulator from the factory. It would not be a complete bolt on then.

Iraggi
Old 05-03-2007, 04:49 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

A genuine nissan replacement alternator will last longer than any aftermarket unit out there imo....

My oem lasted 10 years/230,000 miles...
Old 05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Alex_V

Originally Posted by Iraggi Alt's
No, we was not offered an external regulator. His vehicle didnt come with that style of regulator from the factory. It would not be a complete bolt on then.

Iraggi
So you put in a cheap taiwanese regulator in the alt vs the factory one?

I like how you misquoted him and talked about case styles, not regulator quality differences.

I'll never need an upgraded alt just trying to figure out how something is $500sih, and is good quality except for 1 component...

~Alex

Old 05-03-2007, 05:14 PM
mod or sell?

quality is not determined by where an item is built, but by who checked it to make sure the quality was there.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Max
Originally Posted by Hectic
Lessons learned I guess. According to my auto electrician, the coils and diode pack are good quality but the regulator was the weakest link in the chain. There are local guys that could've custom produced what I wanted and had I known about those 2 in the least, I wouldn't have even bothered with such an item from the US (mainly due to shipping costs).

All in all, Dom needs to take a long hard look at his craftsmanship because it certainly doesn't show any pride in his work.
It was a joke
Old 05-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Alex_V
So you put in a cheap taiwanese regulator in the alt vs the factory one?

I like how you misquoted him and talked about case styles, not regulator quality differences.

I'll never need an upgraded alt just trying to figure out how something is $500sih, and is good quality except for 1 component...

~Alex
He was saying that the regulator was a crappy one like the stock. I was comparing the housing, it looks stock too. I guess he was expecting something that looked like it was designed for Nasa...not for his Maxima.

Everything is good quality. We dont even know what really happened. There may have been other issues that caused a failure. I would like to know.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:18 PM

Hey Guys..

We dont typically get on the forums and post but its difficult to not get on there and defend yourself when you see something about you.

Than im sure you noticed the "same crappy case style" as your factory alternator. Thats how they are a direct bolt on. Same case as factory. All plugs and connections are like factory. That doesnt mean they are the same as factory, just compatible. When we send a customer something that is not a direct bolt on - plug and play device, they freak out.
However, I was not referring to the case as that would be vital for the direct bolt-on nature. I concede that. What I don't concede is the fact that you still used a poor quality regulator for the task. That isn't just my opinion alone, it is also the opinion of my auto electrician of 10 years. He's not in it to rip me off considering we've done business for each other. I repair his ECU's, he repairs my alternator or supplies me with automotive components such as fuel injector connectors and the like.

Sure....we can build a bullet proof alternator...but it wont fit in your car. Your case style dictates amperage limitations and durability.
It does not limit your choice of regulator to just ONE and of substandard quality.

We only offer an external/adjustable regulator. Its $99.00 more than if you just wanted the internal one. Thats like buying a racing motor from a company and the carbeurator going bad then asking if you can have a blower with fuel injection for free instead. They are two totally different things.
Bad analogy there. A regulator is a regulator, irrespective of it being internal or external. It is there to do one job and it needs to meet the specifications and durability accordingly. If someone buys a performance product, they expect it to not only do the job, but to do it longer than just for 3 - 4 weeks! So that is more like buying a racing motor, the carburettor going bad only to find that amidst all the fantastic components such as TRW forged pistons, Carillo con-rods, Crane Cams and whatnot, I then find a cheap OEM (or clone) carburettor on the top which is known to be an underperformer.

THAT is the kind of regulator I got in a supposedly better performing alternator.

If you wanted to repair with the same type of regulator, that would have been free of charge, but we never got that option.
Why would I want to use the same crummy regulator knowing it didn't last me for much longer than a month? If the external regulator was an option during our numerous emails exchanged, why wasn't this option discussed with me? We discussed an custom smaller-sized pulley (which was machined without a front lip to keep the belt in place in the event of a little pulley/belt wobble mind you) and I went to the expense of having that done. If there were more options for me to explore, beyond what you had listed on your eBay site (those options listed were seemingly the warranty options, standard, 1 year and lifetime options) then you should have discussed this with me as well. It would have been nice if you felt that the regulator was a limitation from a bolt-on perspective and was worthy of discussion.

Fact is though, there is clearance for an external regulator to be mounted on an alternator and STILL be a bolt-on upgrade component.

I cant think of ANY company that would let someone else repair their own product and still honor any type of warranty. Its not gonna happen.
There are reasons for companies having authorised repair centres. They trust the people who conduct those repairs based on their expertise. They make those options available. Like I said, that was a big ask and I understood your reaction to that. However, since you know what kind of regulator you used, I would've expected at least a replacement regulator being sent to me once it was diagnosed as being that.

The parts are better. We never got a chance to troubleshoot the cause of the problem. Maybe it was the regulator, maybe it wasnt. Who knows. We were here for you, you just chose another option.
Correction, the parts are better except for the regulator component. You have in there a substandardTaiwanese regulator as opposed to the Japanese type which is currently being sourced for me. Yes, you were there for me and if it I were to believe that all the parts were better, then I would have gone to the expense of shipping it back to you because I would have the faith in that I would most likely not have to go through that shipping expense a 2nd time. But you didn't provide me with quality throughout the entire alternator's part list. Furthermore, you then tell me it's another US$99 for an external regulator, just to add insult to injury.

Why should I have faith in someone who is going to have me return the product more than just once because they continue to use a substandard regulator? That's just not feasible.

However, knowing it was just the regulator (although I am an electrical engineer, it doesn't take one to realise what was going on) meant that the issue would be cheaper to fix here than it would've been to send it away to you. However, because I was still prepared to send it away with a view to get the external regulator instead, until you then told me it's another US$99. It was at that point that I knew I would be better off taking it to my local auto electrician who would source a better component for a hell of a lot less than what I would be paying both you and the shipping companies (and that's not even combined!).

You knew the potential for having to return to the states for warranty when you purchased originally. Would it have been better if it were 9 months instead of 5 weeks?
If it were not the same regulator you've got in there now, it would've lasted longer than 9 months so that argument is moot.

Again, the $99 regulator is totally different than yours.
Obviously a quality component.

If were to "maximise" profits, our alternators would be $600.00+ just like everyone else.
Funny that. I found several major brand alternators (as recommended to me by some friends not understanding that custom fabrication was not an option in my setup) which were competitively priced with yours and going on those friends' experiences with theirs, they've definitely run for years without a hitch and with even higher current demands than my vehicle.

But you know what? If I knew that an external regulator was an option available to me, I would have paid the extra US$99 back then because you would have been upfront about it. Of course, I'd be later kicking myself for not asking the right contacts here about a couple others who could custom build such alternators for me as well but that's life.

This is just a deal gone sour rather than me not making a well informed decision. Now I understand why there was just as much negative comment on your product as there was positive comment. I took the risk with the 50/50 balance of comments and only through experience was I going to find out why it was so.

Im sorry you live thousands of miles away. Not much I can do there.
Try providing better quality components all 'round and then you'll realise there's a lot more you can do.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:35 PM

Not an option I was aware of. But then again, Dom is suggesting that it wouldn't be a bolt-on alternator if it did have an external regulator. Those of us who know what our alternators look like when they're installed will probably have a different opinion of bolt-on to what Dom seems to.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
A genuine nissan replacement alternator will last longer than any aftermarket unit out there imo....

My oem lasted 10 years/230,000 miles...
My first OEM only lasted me about 8 years/90,000 miles. Diode pack just popped one day out on the road, not to mention the field coil being in pretty bad shape and it was actually cheaper to get a replacement OEM Hitachi brand new from my regular auto electrician.

That's the one I've been riding on up until this debacle (and now riding on again). Good thing I don't need to use the A/C being autumn/fall.

Having said that though, there are plenty of aftermarket units out there which are excellent all 'round and I've seen more than just one of each in use on vehicles which put them through their paces. It's just a shame they're not bolt-ons.

But like I said. Overall, Dom's alternator is a good unit with the exception of the regulator. My auto electrician is impressed with the rest of it. Not to say that it will outlast any other alternator but at least it will perform better and still run the same distance once this regulator is sorted out.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 PM

Iraggi
Why not? Would I not have the clearance then for an external regulator? (answer: I would have the clearance)

It's not what came from the factory, it's what is suited to the purpose for which it is being built. As an engineer, when I design a device or even a systems install, I need to ensure that I've taken into consideration the operating environment. Some of our gear has to operate in the elements and depending on which Olympics they are, if it's summer they're going to overheat. If it's winter, they're going to freeze. We need to accommodate that. You build to specifications and even where you do need to compromise, you can still factor in reliability for the time required.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:58 PM

He was saying that the regulator was a crappy one like the stock. I was comparing the housing, it looks stock too. I guess he was expecting something that looked like it was designed for Nasa...not for his Maxima.

Everything is good quality. We dont even know what really happened. There may have been other issues that caused a failure. I would like to know.
No, I was expecting something that was built to the specifications ... electrical and environmental. We both knew the alternator was designed by you to put out a nominal 90A at idle and 180A at full speed. We both knew that it was going into a J30 model Nissan Maxima so you were aware of how warm the operating temperatures would be. We both knew I was using an Unorthodox Racing underdriven crankshaft pulley which needed the custom machined alternator pulley. I wasn't disappointed by something which was a duplicate image of my OEM alternator ... it's what I was expecting. Why would I have a problem with a solid alloy case anyway? What I was surprised by after I pulled it out of the box was the regulator also looked the same but I assumed you would have used a regulator which may have well looked the same but hopefully of better specifications and build quality, since that's what I thought I was paying for.

But to then take the alternator apart and be shown a cheap Taiwanese made regulator? Seriously Dom, it's not so much that NASA wouldn't specify such a component but rather a NASA employee would not want to see one in their vehicle if they need to get their butt to work pronto before something bad happens at their work in their absence. There are unfortunate circumstances that just can't be helped (i.e. "s#@t happens") and there are unfortunate circumstances that could have been avoided (i.e. substandard components/devices).