3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 06:08 AM

Brake Rotor Question

Hi, I Was looking to get some new perfomance drilled/slotted brake rotors for my '94 Maxima. I was planning on getting Powerstop, but I was just wondering if there any better deals out there or if anybody has any opinions on where to get them or maybe what to get instead. I Was planning on getting them at Nopi. Thanx!!!
Old 09-20-2001, 07:59 AM

ebay....

i will soon be ordering brembo front cross drilled rotors for my 93 se...my friend has the brembos as well but his are only slotted, th ones that i am looking at are slotted and drilled which i hear have a higher tendency of problems but i like the style more...i beleive they go for $140+shipping for the front and about $100 for the rear...
Old 09-20-2001, 08:35 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Nopi will probably be over priced. See what Phuong at www.eatricezone.com can do for you or Paul at www.avalonracing.net
Old 09-20-2001, 12:07 PM
STFU n00b!

Just a warning on the Brembo drilled rotors... mine were cracked horribly after about 8000 miles. to the point I'm afraid to use them. I would highly recommend staying with just slots, or going with solid rotors. they may not look as good, but that's $150/year that you're spending on rotors alone.

(that said, I've gone through 3 sets of rotors in the last year on various projects with the Max)

I also don't recommend Powerstop. they use cheap, generic rotors that have poor quality ores in them and are prone to cracks and warping.
Powerslot and Stillen both use Brembo cores, which are of much better quality than the "made in China" Powerstops.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Just a warning on the Brembo drilled rotors... mine were cracked horribly after about 8000 miles. to the point I'm afraid to use them. I would highly recommend staying with just slots, or going with solid rotors. they may not look as good, but that's $150/year that you're spending on rotors alone.

(that said, I've gone through 3 sets of rotors in the last year on various projects with the Max)

I also don't recommend Powerstop. they use cheap, generic rotors that have poor quality ores in them and are prone to cracks and warping.
Powerslot and Stillen both use Brembo cores, which are of much better quality than the "made in China" Powerstops.

I agree with Matt93SE. If you get the standard size cross-drilled rotors, there isn't enough mass to keep them from warping. If you do like cross-drilled, then go for a much larger size, but they probly won't fit on your factory 15" rims. Don't quote me on that, because I haven't upgraded my brakes yet. My roomate just spent $1200 on a whole new brake package with cross drilled rotors, and after racing only twice, it warped them.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:17 PM
STFU n00b!

on the crossdrilled rotors, it's not usually warping that's the problem.. it's the cracking.

I've got some pics of the rotors on my website, but my server's down at the time being..

As for larger rotors, there's not a lot you can do under stock rims. there's just not much clearance for anything.
Old 09-20-2001, 04:03 PM

advice on Brembo drilled/slotted rotors.

I need new rotors and i'm thinkin about buying drilled/slotted Brembo rotors from Ebay. Two sellers are selling them for $140 and $120. They say they are brembo drilled/slotted. Do any of you know if these are OEM replacement Brembo rotors with custom drilling and slotting? Let me know what you think? Any suggestions on what rotors are good?

Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=595565072

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=595571297
Old 09-20-2001, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by James _92_4DSC

I agree with Matt93SE. If you get the standard size cross-drilled rotors, there isn't enough mass to keep them from warping. If you do like cross-drilled, then go for a much larger size, but they probly won't fit on your factory 15" rims. Don't quote me on that, because I haven't upgraded my brakes yet. My roomate just spent $1200 on a whole new brake package with cross drilled rotors, and after racing only twice, it warped them.
Sorry, I ment to say he spent $500 on Brembo crossdrilled rotors, stainless brake line, and pads, which he purchased from Stillen.com.
Old 09-20-2001, 09:53 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: advice on Brembo drilled/slotted rotors.

Originally posted by johnnyo319
I need new rotors and i'm thinkin about buying drilled/slotted Brembo rotors from Ebay. Two sellers are selling them for $140 and $120. They say they are brembo drilled/slotted. Do any of you know if these are OEM replacement Brembo rotors with custom drilling and slotting? Let me know what you think? Any suggestions on what rotors are good?

Here are the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=595565072

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=595571297
Either one will be fine.. they're obviously done by different companies (i.e. the slots and holes are in different patterns, thus they were done by different people), but both look to be pretty good.
they've also got the 2 extra holes drilled in the face so you can insert a screw and pop the rotors off if they happen to get frozen to the hub.. that's a telltale sign of being Brembo cores. bendiz, beck arnley, and wix don't have those anymore- only brembo and OEM (Akebono I think) still use them.

As for whether they're OEM replacement rotors or not, they're probably from the same core (Brembo part # JBR-505), then they just put the holes and slots in them.... as far as I know, that is the the only brembo part # that will fit on our cars.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:59 PM

Re: Re: advice on Brembo drilled/slotted rotors.

Well after you say that you cracked a few sets of cross drilled rotors, is it better to just stick with regular rotors?? Is performance really enhanced or warping less likely with these? I really don't want to replace them every year..

Either one will be fine.. they're obviously done by different companies (i.e. the slots and holes are in different patterns, thus they were done by different people), but both look to be pretty good.
they've also got the 2 extra holes drilled in the face so you can insert a screw and pop the rotors off if they happen to get frozen to the hub.. that's a telltale sign of being Brembo cores. bendiz, beck arnley, and wix don't have those anymore- only brembo and OEM (Akebono I think) still use them.

As for whether they're OEM replacement rotors or not, they're probably from the same core (Brembo part # JBR-505), then they just put the holes and slots in them.... as far as I know, that is the the only brembo part # that will fit on our cars.
Old 09-22-2001, 12:14 AM
STFU n00b!

with slotted or regular rotors, you shouldn't have a problem with warpage or cracking, as long as you drive "correctly"

that means don't slam on the brakes and do a 100-0 stop on cold brakes..

and don't come straight from driving around town and wash the car (soaking your rotors).. that's what usually causes drilled rotors to crack- heating/cooling them too quickly by slamming on the brakes without a warmup, or hosing them at a car wash..

same goes for solid rotors, but the problem isn't nearly as severe.

I would recommend going with either Powerslot rotors, Brembo blanks, or OEM rotors. you won't go wrong with any of them.

Performance will be basically the same with all rotors, with the slotted ones helping out in wet weather (if you've ever gotten your brakes wet, you know what I mean.. with drilled/slotted rotors, that problem is gone, as the holes/slots wupe the water off the pad/rotor contact surface. regular rotors jsut sit there and spin with water between the pad and rotor- so your brakes don't work until the rotors dry out.
of course this only happens when you drive throu 6+ inches of water, but you still need to be aware of it.
Old 09-22-2001, 01:14 AM

with slotted or regular rotors, you shouldn't have a problem with warpage or cracking, as long as you drive "correctly"

that means don't slam on the brakes and do a 100-0 stop on cold brakes..

and don't come straight from driving around town and wash the car (soaking your rotors).. that's what usually causes drilled rotors to crack- heating/cooling them too quickly by slamming on the brakes without a warmup, or hosing them at a car wash..

same goes for solid rotors, but the problem isn't nearly as severe.

I would recommend going with either Powerslot rotors, Brembo blanks, or OEM rotors. you won't go wrong with any of them.

Performance will be basically the same with all rotors, with the slotted ones helping out in wet weather (if you've ever gotten your brakes wet, you know what I mean.. with drilled/slotted rotors, that problem is gone, as the holes/slots wupe the water off the pad/rotor contact surface. regular rotors jsut sit there and spin with water between the pad and rotor- so your brakes don't work until the rotors dry out.
of course this only happens when you drive throu 6+ inches of water, but you still need to be aware of it.
Damm Matt your a fountain of knowledge ! I have the powerslot slotted rotors and beat the hell out of them(Maximaracer28 knows this) and wash them at the carwash(they use hotwater). I also have bad abs sensor so no ABS and The rotors still look new after 8000 miles