3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can Some body tell me whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 02:17 AM

Can Some body tell me whats wrong?

Just recently my car (steering wheel) is starting either "tug" left or right, depending on what gear my car is shifting into.

ok i`ll try to describe the problem

when i drive slowly and normal (giving car half throttle) the car drives straight and just fine.

but when i floor the car or give it 3/4's throttle,
i can feel the steering wheel either shift (tug) right, when its at a lower gear (high rpm) , when it finally shifts to a higher gear (4th gear) (low rpm) the steering wheel will tug back towards the right..

these tugs are making my hand move a 1/8 circle of the total steering wheel, considering my hand is staying in the same position..
say my hand is holding the steering wheel at 12 o clock... then it will shift over to 2 o clock, then when it tugs back to the left going to about 11 thru 12 o clock..

seems like my aligement is really off or something is really wrong with my suspension , or drive shaft. and/or rack pin steering column..is bending or flexing in unusual ways..

i really cant pin point whats wrong

any body have any ideas?
Old 10-04-2001, 04:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Can Some body tell me whats wrong?

That is called Torque steer. IT can also be caused by a lose control arm up front or a maybe a bad axle? Brushings could get lose which cause that to happen. Go to the dealership and ask them to test drive to see if they can find the problem?? Or take to a mechanic!!!!

I kind of had the same problem back in the day!! It is fixed now.
Originally posted by mykizism
Just recently my car (steering wheel) is starting either "tug" left or right, depending on what gear my car is shifting into.

ok i`ll try to describe the problem

when i drive slowly and normal (giving car half throttle) the car drives straight and just fine.

but when i floor the car or give it 3/4's throttle,
i can feel the steering wheel either shift (tug) right, when its at a lower gear (high rpm) , when it finally shifts to a higher gear (4th gear) (low rpm) the steering wheel will tug back towards the right..

these tugs are making my hand move a 1/8 circle of the total steering wheel, considering my hand is staying in the same position..
say my hand is holding the steering wheel at 12 o clock... then it will shift over to 2 o clock, then when it tugs back to the left going to about 11 thru 12 o clock..

seems like my aligement is really off or something is really wrong with my suspension , or drive shaft. and/or rack pin steering column..is bending or flexing in unusual ways..

i really cant pin point whats wrong

any body have any ideas?