3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Two whole months of Maxima ownership!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 05:58 AM

Two whole months of Maxima ownership!

So i took the car for its yearly roadworthy test and it failed. I cant remember everything but it needs something like four new brakepipes, rear tyre, brake work, suspension work and so much welding that the guy said he cant do it and the only option is to scrap it.

Bought the car from ebay in August, not the first time buying there, and the woman said they had owned the car for over ten years with it being looked after by a mechanic friend of theirs.

I feel scammed but thats the risk you take on ebay i guess.

Shame is the engine is fine, i guess ill sell it on for spares/repairs.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brakepipes? I would seek out a 2nd opinion. Also, what wrong with the tire? Generally you want to replace all tires at once.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 AM
wants an I35

wtf are brakepipes?

how many miles are on the engine?

you can get a tire for 60 bux

brakes and suspension can be done for around 500 dollars.

i cant imagine what else could be SO wrong with this that your mechanic said to scrap it.
what needs welding? the exhaust?
you could get midas to do a whole exhaust line for 600+
Old 10-24-2007, 08:32 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by lleyleber

So i took the car for its yearly roadworthy test and it failed. I cant remember everything but it needs something like four new brakepipes, rear tyre, brake work, suspension work and so much welding that the guy said he cant do it and the only option is to scrap it.

Bought the car from ebay in August, not the first time buying there, and the woman said they had owned the car for over ten years with it being looked after by a mechanic friend of theirs.

I feel scammed but thats the risk you take on ebay i guess.

Shame is the engine is fine, i guess ill sell it on for spares/repairs.
is this the one in europe that had no A/C?
if it is, then you were totally scammed and I'd file for a refund if you paid by paypal, and leave a negative
Old 10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

i'm thinking he means brakelines, people. Also, what kind of welding needs to be done? It's hard to imagine any welding that would cause a car to be scrapped if not done...unless the frame was rusted through or the front crossmember brace...

In other words...
Old 10-24-2007, 02:58 PM
STFU n00b!

definitely sounds like you got screwed on the car.

brake lines shouldn't be too expensive- they're about $20 US each for OEM lines.
tires are, well, service items.

rust damage is a big issue- the left rear corner of these cars is notorious for rust around the gas filler tube in the northern areas of the uS since they use so much road salt. it collects on the fiddly bits holding the tube in place and causes the car to rust through. The big problem with it is the left rear passenger seatbelt attachments are very close to this area. a weakened frame from rust poses a safety issue in a crash.

nonetheless, I would venture to file a claim with paypal on this car since it's in such horrible condition as opposed to what the owner described in the auction.

an FYI for the other guys... brake lines and tires and rust and etc are a big deal in the UK. Their cars have to undergo MOT inspection (Ministry of Transport) every few years, and it's MUCH more rigorous than our US safety inspections. If there's any question about a brake line or tire or whatever's age or condition, they are required to replace it before the car will pass muster again. inspection time is a very expensive and tedious process for cars that aren't extremely well maintained.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:49 PM
mod or sell?

what safety inspections
Old 10-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
an FYI for the other guys... brake lines and tires and rust and etc are a big deal in the UK. Their cars have to undergo MOT inspection (Ministry of Transport) every few years, and it's MUCH more rigorous than our US safety inspections. If there's any question about a brake line or tire or whatever's age or condition, they are required to replace it before the car will pass muster again. inspection time is a very expensive and tedious process for cars that aren't extremely well maintained.
Thats funny, since they have all those speed cams and crazy traffic I wouldnt think any car in the UK needs working brakes or seatbelts.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 PM

How much did you pay for it?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:33 AM

Huh

What are fiddly bits?
Originally Posted by Matt93SE
definitely sounds like you got screwed on the car.

brake lines shouldn't be too expensive- they're about $20 US each for OEM lines.
tires are, well, service items.

rust damage is a big issue- the left rear corner of these cars is notorious for rust around the gas filler tube in the northern areas of the uS since they use so much road salt. it collects on the fiddly bits holding the tube in place and causes the car to rust through. The big problem with it is the left rear passenger seatbelt attachments are very close to this area. a weakened frame from rust poses a safety issue in a crash.

nonetheless, I would venture to file a claim with paypal on this car since it's in such horrible condition as opposed to what the owner described in the auction.