3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

*NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

do maximas have a hole where u can put aftermarket wires from under the hood to the cabin?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:17 PM

I Tried

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Look at the wiring along the hinge for a break.
you will probably need to use a test light to probe the wires to find the break.
Good luck!
but why would the red cover be semi-melted?

I couldn't find a break btw

anything else it could be?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I own a 92 SE DOHC, and im having crazy problems with bucking/surging/hesitation, from what ive read around the net its a pretty common problem with the VE30DE, also there seems to be what looks like gas leaking (which is why i'm getting crappy gas mileage i guess)

The Leak is occurring at the top of the hose where the red arrow indicates, could this be related to the bucking and surging at all? is this fuel filter related?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:06 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Presto
I own a 92 SE DOHC, and im having crazy problems with bucking/surging/hesitation, from what ive read around the net its a pretty common problem with the VE30DE, also there seems to be what looks like gas leaking (which is why i'm getting crappy gas mileage i guess)

The Leak is occurring at the top of the hose where the red arrow indicates, could this be related to the bucking and surging at all? is this fuel filter related?

The fuel leaking issue most likely has nothing to do with the bucking/stumbling problems..First order of business would be to tighten up the fuel hose clamps in your picture,tighten them up as far as they will go,this should stop the leak,or at least slow it down until you get around to replacing the old hose with new hose..

Your stumbling issue may be cracked front ignition coils,pull the front coils out of the valve cover to check for cracks.

If the coils look fine,they you may have a bad coolant temp sensor..

Good info on the cts--->http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=541699

it might be good idea to check your ecu for codes..look in the general maintenance sticky for instructions on how to access the codes.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
as I told him on nissanforums, I believe it is just the rev limiter being hit
sorry but it is not the rev limiter being hit. i may be a newb to the maxima world but i am not an idiot when it comes to engines. i tried hitting the rev limiter the other day after your post. my rev limiter is set at between 7 grand. i can rev it to 6,000 not near 7,000 and it will start acting a fool for about 3-5 min and it will plane out. during this time period it sounds like i described before. there has to be a solution to this problem. maybe the answer is to be found only by coolsun or myself ? hey coolsun keep in touch and mybe we can find a cure for this. thanks for responding also.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Thanatos
sorry but it is not the rev limiter being hit. i may be a newb to the maxima world but i am not an idiot when it comes to engines. i tried hitting the rev limiter the other day after your post. my rev limiter is set at between 7 grand. i can rev it to 6,000 not near 7,000 and it will start acting a fool for about 3-5 min and it will plane out. during this time period it sounds like i described before. there has to be a solution to this problem. maybe the answer is to be found only by coolsun or myself ? hey coolsun keep in touch and mybe we can find a cure for this. thanks for responding also.
just why exactly are you revving that high? runnin like that prolly is EXACTLY why you have that problem.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Uberhass
but why would the red cover be semi-melted?

I couldn't find a break btw

anything else it could be?
My rear 3rd brake light is also semi-melted, like a sagging circle where the bulb is. I'm guessing its a design flaw: bulb too close to the cover, melting point of plastic too low? If you replaced your bulbs and fuses and it still won't light up, try opening your trunk and trace the wire that goes to the 3rd brake light, at the hinge, there should be a junction. You should have someone step on the brake while you wiggle the wire in that area around, if it lights up, keep the wire position there and then find some electrical tape and tape it tight. Other than that, check for bulb housing corrosion, worn wire somewhere. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
just why exactly are you revving that high? runnin like that prolly is EXACTLY why you have that problem.
then why would the factory any factory have a set rev limiter at any certain setting if the freakin car couldnt even reach that certain setting. thats why they call it a rev limiter to keep the engine in a safe atmosphere. anyway i am not trying to get into a post battle with anyone just trying to get this figured out.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:48 PM

so if i am doing things wrong. how about letting me in on some of yalls tricks and secrets. since some people think i am doing things wrong. i am here to learn not argue. like i have said in my other post. this is my first Max. and i want to make the most it can be. i love getting the most performance i can out of any vehicle i can and i dont do redneck or getto mods to my engines. please note that i always say ENGINE. a motor is what powers a drill. i might be a newb to you people and to the Max world but i have been around engines all my life. i love hp. i joined this site to gain knowledge on the VE30DE. i have owned 3 nissans so far. a 91 sentra ga16de 5-speed that built out the wazzoo. a 87 sentra auto just to drive to work and a 87 hardbody with the 3.0 also. it was an auto too weak as hell. anyway i have liked the Max ever since the 3rd gen came out but never owned one till now. i think i'll start a new post now.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:06 PM

My Max.

ok. i am the proud owner of a 94' Maxima SE 5-speed VE30DE with 155543 miles. i'll post pics when i become a member. i sold my BELOVED highly modded jeep xj so i could have this car. i can honestly say and yes i mean honestly. say i was the first person to have a modded "cant say IMPORT though" domestic i guess tuned car in this town.i'll post on what it was and mods in another post. so now i want to bust on somore v8's and put some of these rich cocky teens with their bought not built imports. i love raceing. always have. now i am turning to some of you vets and those who know about the 3rd gen Max to really set this thing off.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

ok. i am the proud owner of a 94' Maxima SE 5-speed VE30DE with 155543 miles. i'll post pics when i become a member. i sold my BELOVED highly modded jeep xj so i could have this car. i can honestly say and yes i mean honestly. say i was the first person to have a modded "cant say IMPORT though" domestic i guess tuned car in this town.i'll post on what it was and mods in another post. so now i want to bust on somore v8's and put some of these rich cocky teens with their bought not built imports. i love raceing. always have. now i am turning to some of you vets and those who know about the 3rd gen Max to really set this thing off.
Welcome to the 3rd gen forum on Maxima.org
as long as the maintenance is kept, turboing the ve is one of the best power adders available. along with the usual port'n'polish, etc...
hope you remember to keep it safe at the track, since i am assuming you do not race illegally
btw, sorry about my other post... i had a wild hair up my

if you already have the pics, go ahead and post 'em in the "great 3rd gen picture thread", located in the stickys. no need to wait on anything
Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by benstoked
Welcome to the 3rd gen forum on Maxima.org
as long as the maintenance is kept, turboing the ve is one of the best power adders available. along with the usual port'n'polish, etc...
hope you remember to keep it safe at the track, since i am assuming you do not race illegally
btw, sorry about my other post... i had a wild hair up my

if you already have the pics, go ahead and post 'em in the "great 3rd gen picture thread", located in the stickys. no need to wait on anything
i havent actually had a chance to take some pics of it due to the weather here. it is either raining or sleeting and even when it is nice it is dark by the time i get off work. i have only had this Max for about two weeks now. i havent even had a chance to put a good cleaning on it yet or even go through a tank of gas yet. i hate this time of year here. its always crapy. and i love to keep a clean car. i do keep the inside spotless though.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 PM

how do u take out pcv valve? wat wrench is need to take it out i can take out da pin connected to the valve but not the pvc???? (this might be a solution to y my car feels to stall at high rpm) also one more thing i been starting to hear some rattle at the front where the fuel injectors r all three of them?? any worries?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 AM
hal3214

mods

best place to get cheap mods like intake and others... and best place to get cheap lowering springs

Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM

hey any ideas on how to take out the pcv valve???
Old 02-04-2008, 12:28 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by coolsun
hey any ideas on how to take out the pcv valve???
Get a 19mm deep well socket,attach it to a long extension,attch the extension to a ratchet.

Remove the pcv hose from the pcv valve,stick the socket on the pcv valve,turn counterclockwise.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:09 PM

That right thar is funny!!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:09 PM

ok thank you very much Greeny
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM

Hello everyone. i have question to ask. I have a 93 nissan maxima se. Ok here is the problem long story short my car won't go into gear. I have no clue where to start. I knoe some knowledge about the max but just don't knoe where to fix the problem.

These are the possible problems i think it needs to be looked at.

slave cylinder-might be dead, but what i don't get it that i can start the car up with no problems.
Master Cylinder-There are still fluid in the cylinder.
Clutch-maybe need to be replace
Tranny-
Linkage-

so these are the possible..Help me out guys on wut is the problem.
agian my car can start. but can get it into gear. thanks for the help.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:40 PM
mod or sell?

can you get some one under the car to look at the linkages and make sure the slave is doing it's job?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM

How would i check the linkages, and slave cylinder. I know where it is, but just don't know how it is wrong with it. Can i be able to fix it. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:08 PM
mod or sell?

just look to see how things move when you shift and when you press the clutch.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM

just saying hello and im one of the new guys here.

My question is the '92 gxe has the VE or the VG model engine? Thanks
Old 02-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by G3Karl
just saying hello and im one of the new guys here.

My question is the '92 gxe has the VE or the VG model engine? Thanks
for 3rd gens:
all GXEs have vg30E, 89-91 SE has vg, and 92-94 SE has ve,
Old 02-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

wow talk about the flood of noobs tot he org lolz. ok to answer the one asking about cheap mods. cheap mods arent always the ones you wanna buy and do. like for springs invest in some Eibachs i would tell you and when doing lowering springs also look into new struts because the factory ones wont last long once you lower the car. as for intakes its your own preference greeny jeff and a bunch have actually made there own CAI i got mine off ebay and it works just fine a CAI is a CAI with these old 3rd gens its not like one can make too much of a big difference from another. any other questions? lol
Old 02-07-2008, 09:25 PM

is it hard to change the axle? mines is making thumps n is leaking?
if its not too hard wat tools r needed?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

you mean half shafts?
basic tools plus a 36mm and breaker bar.
hard part is passenger side.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....placement+axle
i recently did the drivers, and was done in about an hour and a half.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you have an Auto? On the auto the driver-side is difficult to get out, in fact I never got it out, just gave up. 5-sp is simpler in that regard, but the rest is the same.

Passenger side will just slide out once you unbolt everything, which is the same stuff as on the left + a bracket on the engine with 3 12mm bolts, theres not much room for tools in there but it can be done.

On the wheel side, you just have to remove enough stuff to lift everything off from the axle's end. Different people do it differently. I unbolted the ball joint and swung everything out of the way, which was a bit tricky. Unbolting the strut would make it easier though.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:29 PM

yeah its an auto
danks
Old 02-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Banned

passenger side axle removal and replacement is easy i agree with mike i just unbolt the ball joint and swing it down and out the way. as for time i spent 45 to an hour total removal and replacement of passenger side axle. VE5 maxima non the less but auto and manual axles are just about the same on the passenger side as in time to remove and replace them. i had an auto and also did the driver side and its not all that hard to remove i guess its just goes from car to car some may be harder to remove then others.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5-speed swap

i cant get a clear line of info from all that ive found...so if someone can can give me a parts list it would be greatly appreciated...im doing a 91 5-speed swap into my 94 gxe...auto bit the dust(good thing anyways)...im just not sure what else i need...i have the trans..master and slave cylinders..clutch pedal..shifter..shifter boot..new clutch and flywheel...help please..thanks
Old 02-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by godlike1994
i cant get a clear line of info from all that ive found...so if someone can can give me a parts list it would be greatly appreciated...im doing a 91 5-speed swap into my 94 gxe...auto bit the dust(good thing anyways)...im just not sure what else i need...i have the trans..master and slave cylinders..clutch pedal..shifter..shifter boot..new clutch and flywheel...help please..thanks
Check the stickies.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:45 AM

QUESTION? i have a 94 se 3.0 5-speed. bone stock. when i rev the engine to around 6 grand the engine starts fluttering and ticking like it is a lifter tapping. the idle floats up and down almost stalling out and eventually it will go away. its like when you float a lifter in a v8 after over reving it. is this the same thing. if so why is this engine doing so i havent even hit the rev limiter yet. when the engine is right it runs real strong. this thing is clean. no leaks or smoke. could it be a sensor like a throttle position sensor or egr valve not being able to compensate for the action of the engine. and it has a new fuel filter so thats not it.
Question. i have been reading on the VTC's. could this have anything to do with the way my engine acts when it revs high and starts idling crazy. could this be because the VTC's are going crazy. just a thought.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey whats up fellows, i have an 90 maxima gxe and the alarm system goes off ever time i lock the doors. It dont go off right after, more like fifteen minutes or more. Is there any way i can disconnect the alarm system.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:15 PM

there should be an inline fuse somewhere.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

there should be an inline fuse somewhere.
No,there isn't..

There is a control box under the dash.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by Greeny
No,there isn't..

There is a control box under the dash.
in some mysterious place under the dash exists the box... THE ALARM!!!
yeah, don't ask where the box is, because nobody wants to tell so that potential thieves dont know how to jack our cars.
(are you a maxima thief, Wayne!?!)
Old 02-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Striking Rod Seal Replacement

Hey guys,

Last weekend I nailed a rock on a snowy, gravel forest road (my Maxima is a fishing/camping vehicle because it's so dependable, 265K). Immediately, the shifter was hard to get into a 3rd and 5th, but it would go. I headed back to the nearest store, only to find the tell tale signs of an oil trail following me. Had a quick look, saw that it was leaking around the shift rod seal and had my friend tow me home.

So, it's up on jacks and I can clearly see that the seal has actually worked itself 1/2 way out on it's own. Luckily, the housing looks OK. I'm trying to troubleshoot this and wondering if the shift rod is bent, the striking rod is bent, or neither, or both! I can't imagine the seal working itself out if the striking rod isn't bent, but maybe.

Questions, it's dark now and I can't find my manual but I assume there's a roll pin to remove the yoke on the end of the striking rod? Can the striking rod be removed, and if so, how? I'd like to check to see if this is bent before installing the seal.

Thanks much,

Jason
Old 02-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by sagsmi
(edited for content...)
Questions,
1)it's dark now and I can't find my manual but I assume there's a roll pin to remove the yoke on the end of the striking rod?
2)Can the striking rod be removed, and if so, how? I'd like to check to see if this is bent before installing the seal.
1) short answer, yes
2) the pin for the striking rod can be removed through a drain plug. the FSM show using a pin punch, but it looks like the pin would fall into the tranny.
perhaps it can be pulled out by a magnet after removing the striking rod, but I do not know.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:33 PM

new guy with a 92 maxima gxe vg30e.

im looking for a digital cluster and the AAC or HVAC, wutevr u call it.

where can i find one online???

nd in order to put in the digi-cluster, do i need that extra part that goes onto the dash and reflects off of the windshield, cause i dont wanna go into all of that if i dont have to.

ehh, why not, anyone with some rims nd tires for sale, PM me, i'll buy.

pics coming soon

Quick Reply: *NOOBIES* The "I am new here,but have a question" thread..(post your questions here)