3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

to the track this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM

to the track this weekend

so since my friends talked me into it....my max is going to the track on sunday....

i dont really like drag racing, but what the hell i guess.

problem is its bracket racing and i have no idea what kind of times im going to run. any ideas on what times i should claim?

its an 89 se...it has an intake...no cat with a tanabe muffler, lowered, full syntetic engine and trans oil, 215/60/15 potenza re960s pretty new. any ideas on what kinda times i could put down? stock times, and times with the few mods i have? thanks alot, not trying to give 3rd gens a bad name on sunday =]
Old 04-23-2008, 09:31 AM

havent ran mine either (94 se ve). but good luck and learn/focus on the light. take your time and you will get the hang of it.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

Look at the track times here on the .org (i'm not sure where they are at, but there are some here right?) and take a guess. Maybe guess a bit faster then you think you can run b/c iirc, in bracket racing if you run under your posted time then you're out. The goal, I think, is to run as close to your posted time without going under it. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 AM

my 90 se with an K&n intake and stock exaust can run mid to high 15
Old 04-23-2008, 04:14 PM

thanks for the timeslips section heads up....found a few there, but not to many VG 3rd gens, im thinking of going with a 15.7 ....hope this works out, sound good?
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Baby's on the Half Tip!

another idea - there are actually lots of cool calculators here: http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm and other places online where you can put in your weight, hp, gears, tire size, etc, and it estimates your 1/4 mile.

Last edited by hoyshnin; 04-23-2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:40 PM
Way out West

There is a 1/4 mile section on this forum and you will probably get more good advice there.

I think most VG 5-speeds that are fairly stock run high 15, low 16s, but times are going to depend a lot on the weather, track conditions and elevation. When a lot of Maxima guys went, Anton had a VG 5-speed. I think he had a Y-pipe, intake and a straight pipe past the cat. IIRC, he ran about 16.0.

The key to bracket racing is 1) timing the light and 2) going with a launch you are comfortable with and then working to have the same launch again and again. Most of the rest of the race is going to be the same.

I bracket raced my car a couple of years ago and finished second for the day.
It is a lot harder to be precise with a manual transmission. The guy that won had an AT.

What I did was went out into the country and practiced my launch (exact rpm and method). NOT THE FULL 1/4 MILE! I did maybe 8-10 launches. Then, when I went to the track, I tried to do the exact same thing every time.

I basically dialed in my time at about .1 faster than I ran in my best test run, so I wouldn't break out.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
There is a 1/4 mile section on this forum and you will probably get more good advice there.

I think most VG 5-speeds that are fairly stock run high 15, low 16s, but times are going to depend a lot on the weather, track conditions and elevation. When a lot of Maxima guys went, Anton had a VG 5-speed. I think he had a Y-pipe, intake and a straight pipe past the cat. IIRC, he ran about 16.0.

The key to bracket racing is 1) timing the light and 2) going with a launch you are comfortable with and then working to have the same launch again and again. Most of the rest of the race is going to be the same.

I bracket raced my car a couple of years ago and finished second for the day.
It is a lot harder to be precise with a manual transmission. The guy that won had an AT.

What I did was went out into the country and practiced my launch (exact rpm and method). NOT THE FULL 1/4 MILE! I did maybe 8-10 launches. Then, when I went to the track, I tried to do the exact same thing every time.

I basically dialed in my time at about .1 faster than I ran in my best test run, so I wouldn't break out.
16.0 isn't very good for a 5spd... I ran a 16.3 on a VG auto with nothing but some intake spacers and a cone filter. stock ypipe, and 2 broken studs.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:18 AM

ha that site with the calculators was kind of cool...i dont know how close they are though....after trying a few i was getting an average of about 15.3....i dont think i could run that.

planning on practicing launching with a few of my friends on saturday before we go to the track...still dont think ill ever like drag racing though ha
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS MEMBER - OWES PEOPLE MONEY

There is a time trial before any bracket racing event... You get a couple of runs to get your dialin.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
16.0 isn't very good for a 5spd... I ran a 16.3 on a VG auto with nothing but some intake spacers and a cone filter. stock ypipe, and 2 broken studs.
shaving off tenths of a second is a little tougher than people think. It was also bracket racing and I believe Anton was trying to get consistent launches, not set personal records.

With all of the mods I have and taking out over 100 lbs, I can only take about 1 full second (10 tenths) off of the bone stock time.

Except for Aaron (very extreme) and anyone with a turbo or nitrous, the best times for bolt on modded VEs are only in the mid to high 14s. The stock times are around 15.5-15.7.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
shaving off tenths of a second is a little tougher than people think. It was also bracket racing and I believe Anton was trying to get consistent launches, not set personal records.

With all of the mods I have and taking out over 100 lbs, I can only take about 1 full second (10 tenths) off of the bone stock time.

Except for Aaron (very extreme) and anyone with a turbo or nitrous, the best times for bolt on modded VEs are only in the mid to high 14s. The stock times are around 15.5-15.7.
toward the end of the day i lined up against aaron. he wiped the floor with me before the 8th mark, and by the stripe i couldn't even read his plate.

well i heard that a stock GXE should run 16.8, and the VG a/t SE might run .02-.05 better from the stiffer suspension helping with traction. but my car apparently ran .5 better than stock which isn't too bad for the few mods i have. i would like to see 15.9 next time i go. which will be a LONG time from now.