3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

stock 1992 ve highschool kid build thread..follow me from the start, (pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

mal, for the LCAs, you're gonna need a real camera with a flash, and take a picture from the back facing forward.. the washer gets in the way on the front. but you can see the rubber from the back.

as for the tasks:

dunno what the R&P should cost
BOTH SIDES control arm bushings, balljoints, and tierod ends (if tierod ends aren't included with the rack) $100
left axle $55
right axle $75
labor DIY for free

that's alot less than $1800.. depending on the cost of the R&P t could come out less than $500
Old 03-18-2009, 04:03 PM

1500 for that car buy it cause it has only 40,000miles on it.. if i get the chance i would most def buy it cause why
1 u already have a maxima
2 u can parts it out for the newer maxima that cost 1500
3 cant go wrong its a maxima
4 saving alot of money!!!!
5 engine with 40,000 miles on it cant go wrong with that

like i said if i had the chance i would buy it most def!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
mod or sell?

at the stated price I would walk away from the car.
I think in the 5+ years i've been a member here only 10 people have replaced their racks, so if yours is bad then I would be seriously concerned about the rest of the car.
JDM on a VE is 100% mechanically identical to a USDM VE.
a JDM motor with "40k" is bull **** plain and simple. they call that an average mileage because of most of their motors come out of 3-5 yr old cars as they have to be taken off the road. The VE is a 3 year only motor and at youngest it is 15 years old.
The only value I see in that car is it's interior if you like leather.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:42 PM

unless the maxima im looking at is amazing...im just going civic with k20 swap or 3000gt. i would like the max but ill have to see.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

those pics you posted aren't totally pointless; I can tell you that front bushing is trashed. it should be more centered with the washer.
you really don't "need" half shafts until they start ticking.
and what teh heck happened to the fender?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by makowski
unless the maxima im looking at is amazing...im just going civic with k20 swap or 3000gt. i would like the max but ill have to see.
so your "going civic" and doing a k20 swap.... when u cant afford $330 in parts heres a link to a $95 R&P

http://www.rackpinionwhse.com/ShopBy...y=True&rewrite=

are those pics of your car or the $1500 one.... lets see pics of both
Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 PM

no im just saying i dont know if putting the money into it is worth it now that stuff went wrong....and thats all my car, read like the 3rd update, the wheel fell off.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 PM

no im just saying i dont know if putting the money into it is worth it now that stuff went wrong....and thats all my car,read like the 3rd update, the wheel fell off.
haha, so now whenever something goes wrong with your car you're just going to buy another one? good plan.

but anyway if i were you i'd stick with the max you have now, tough it out, cuz those repairs aren't that difficult. And pamper the s**** out of it cuz these cars are so fun when you have them running nicely.
...way better then some ricefartinghonda.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:42 PM

you guys just do not understand this car will, i repeat, will have endless costly problems/repairs within the very near future... alot
Old 03-18-2009, 07:58 PM

no im just saying i dont know if putting the money into it is worth it now that stuff went wrong....and thats all my car, read like the 3rd update, the wheel fell off.
great if thats the problem then buy another max (who is gonna buy that maxima with 224k, vtc clack, busted steering and suspension, and a busted fender) u need too use this as a parts car for a new max ............not buy a civic and pray nothings wrong with the civic......ur basically throwing out your maxima instead of getting some use out of it...... buy another VE and rip apart the one u crashed sell what u dont need (possibly make a profit) and put all the spare parts in a garage for when ur newer max breaks down....then sell the body to a junkyard and get basically the same amount you would get if u sold it in its current condition.....not too mention throwing away the bra and rims u bought too.....plus u get to learn how to take everything apart without messing up your daily driver......if theres anything wrong with the second max u buy u can instantly fix it for free.....buying a civic or 3000gt doesnt help
Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 PM

exactly wat i was planning on doing .... so if i get this max on sunday...the build thread will continue
Old 03-18-2009, 08:55 PM

the other max im looking at...

Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
great if thats the problem then buy another max (who is gonna buy that maxima with 224k, vtc clack, busted steering and suspension, and a busted fender) u need too use this as a parts car for a new max ............not buy a civic and pray nothings wrong with the civic......ur basically throwing out your maxima instead of getting some use out of it...... buy another VE and rip apart the one u crashed sell what u dont need (possibly make a profit) and put all the spare parts in a garage for when ur newer max breaks down....then sell the body to a junkyard and get basically the same amount you would get if u sold it in its current condition.....not too mention throwing away the bra and rims u bought too.....plus u get to learn how to take everything apart without messing up your daily driver......if theres anything wrong with the second max u buy u can instantly fix it for free.....buying a civic or 3000gt doesnt help
He can't bolt a tire on right, idk how much work he's gonna do to the max himself.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gunther
He can't bolt a tire on right, idk how much work he's gonna do to the max himself.
....yea, your right
Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 PM
I can has?

the other max im looking at...

What's up with all the super clean black on black SE's around here lately.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

3/13 start

ok where to start. i will always update this thread so keep checking in. Im setting this up like its march 13th, the friday before the weekend. its now the 16th and much has happened but you will just have to keep following. i got this 1992 black se last summer and this summer before college im putting a little money into it. please give me your input and ideas on what to do.

The bad:

little rust
whole exhaust
suspension
window regulators
hood dent
224,000 miles

Mods that will happen soon (all of these are in the mail now, or im picking up)

17 inch adr rims with tires
warpspeed y pipe
kyb gr2 struts
1.7 inch drop springs/ greenys
window regulator
hood bra
new cold air intake
advanced timing (dont worry i already run 93 octane)

mods that will happen within a little time.

patched or replaced exhaust manifold/new studs
replaced mid pipe 2.25
5.5 gen muffler

Mods that will happen in future((maybe))
exedy clutch
fidanza flywheel
or maybe ill just do a 3.5 swap
rust removal
Looks like you've got rust in the classic spots in front of the rear wheel wells. Fix them the right way. I fixed the passenger side on my car a couple years back (still need to do the driver side, but it's not as bad). Here's my post with pics back when I fixed it

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-rust-0-a.html

Good luck with it. You also should check the front strut towers for rust as well as the trunk area and especially the rear seat belt mounts in the in the trunk.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Looks like you've got rust in the classic spots in front of the rear wheel wells. Fix them the right way. I fixed the passenger side on my car a couple years back (still need to do the driver side, but it's not as bad). Here's my post with pics back when I fixed it

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...-rust-0-a.html

Good luck with it. You also should check the front strut towers for rust as well as the trunk area and especially the rear seat belt mounts in the in the trunk.
DAMN! about time you start posting in here again. where have you been James? i have the same problem with my car as well. same spots are rusted as well in mine and i have to act on it quick.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM

you guys just do not understand this car will, i repeat, will have endless costly problems/repairs within the very near future... alot
Then sell it and quit complaining, what do you expect from a car going on 20 with 220k on the motor.

and do you think a civic will do you any better or a 3000gt. they all break, all of them. and yes we do understand, that is why this forum is here, its not just for mods and power, its for tech support, its help when you cant afford the shade tree mechanic or the dealer tech.

im building my 89 max under a budget of $1500.
how you ask, because i have done my research and watched the net for parts i need.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 300zmax
Then sell it and quit complaining, what do you expect from a car going on 20 with 220k on the motor.

and do you think a civic will do you any better or a 3000gt. they all break, all of them. and yes we do understand, that is why this forum is here, its not just for mods and power, its for tech support, its help when you cant afford the shade tree mechanic or the dealer tech.

im building my 89 max under a budget of $1500.
how you ask, because i have done my research and watched the net for parts i need.
lol ok im complaining, i keep saying this because people keep saying i should put money into it...im over my car im not using it anymore, this was stated a while back. and that ill part it out and use what i need for the new one. so no you dont understand, what i was saying is that im getting this new one most likely and putting everytyhing i bought for the old one in the new one. and the build will continue. people were trying to tell me cheap prices on parts and all these scenerios (thank you i apreciate it) but it doesnt matter because im not putting money in a yes you said it a car going on 20 with 224k....end of repair posts for my old one...jeez.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:45 PM

lol ok im complaining, i keep saying this because people keep saying i should put money into it...im over my car im not using it anymore, this was stated a while back. and that ill part it out and use what i need for the new one. so no you dont understand, what i was saying is that im getting this new one most likely and putting everytyhing i bought for the old one in the new one. and the build will continue. people were trying to tell me cheap prices on parts and all these scenerios (thank you i apreciate it) but it doesnt matter because im not putting money in a yes you said it a car going on 20 with 224k....end of repair posts for my old one...jeez.
nah we aint done yet makowski...

u still gotta rip apart that old max and based on those pics 1500 is fine (40k does seem suspicous though) buy it and send us pics of your old one with a stripped engine bay

oh yeah and this is a nissan forum saying "going civic" well demz iz fightin wordz
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by sleepyvg30e
nah we aint done yet makowski...

u still gotta rip apart that old max and based on those pics 1500 is fine (40k does seem suspicous though) buy it and send us pics of your old one with a stripped engine bay

oh yeah and this is a nissan forum saying "going civic" well demz iz fightin wordz

if you think i cant take a car apart, think what you want im not getting in an e fight about an ability you have no idea about. and why would i need to strip my old car??? yes, i agree with you i am getting this other one and i thought 40 k well technically 42k was suspicious but still. also i said civic because when i go to college what i get now will most likely be my brothers, and a civic for him (doesnt care about cars) would be good. im not here to get everyone mad i started this build thread to show well a build, thanks for all the advice just right now nothing is happening untill this weekend.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

unbelievable..
Old 03-19-2009, 07:18 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
DAMN! about time you start posting in here again. where have you been James? i have the same problem with my car as well. same spots are rusted as well in mine and i have to act on it quick.
Just been busy.. grad school.. work.. rebuilding/restoring my little Civic. I finished that about a month ago now it's back to the Maxima's
Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 PM

im going tomorrow to get the car,,,ill lock or try to lock this thread and start a new one...i couldnt pass up a maxima.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

following the build, good luck
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM

im going tomorrow to get the car,,,ill lock or try to lock this thread and start a new one...i couldnt pass up a maxima.
My advice to you would be to let this thread die and start a new thread in a few weeks. Take lots of pictures and ONLY post up in the thread AFTER you have done things; people DO NOT like speculation around here, there is too much "I'm gonna turbo this" or "I'm gonna 3.5 swap this" bull**** that never happens. Like I just said DO NOT speculate or ask questions in your build thread if you want it to live w.o getting cluttered. SEARCH before you ask or post a new thread because 9 times out of 10 its already been asked and answered.

If you post up problems in a thread, people will generally try and help you out or give you their opinion. This does not mean they are attacking you! They are merely trying to help you solve your problem based on their own experience. So don't whine or get pissy when someone doesn't think the same way as you do.

Also if you are going to post up on this or any other forum, you need to understand that no matter what some people will not like what you have done. You don't need to defend yourself or feel offended by what people say, it's your view, your opinion, and your car.

-Alex
Old 03-31-2009, 07:32 PM

my car is now up for parts...along with everything i bought..i just went...shall i dare say it..ci...civ...civi....naw i cant.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:50 PM

:matt93se:
Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22
Old 03-31-2009, 09:06 PM

Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 PM

Nissan>Honda
Old 03-31-2009, 10:09 PM

ik ik i never thought i would go honda but i did. its a nice ek though it runs low 13s so im good with that.

Last edited by makowski; 03-31-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:44 PM

ik ik i never thought i would go honda but i did. its a nice ek though it runs low 13s so im good with that.
Yeah really, my VE runs mid 13's... wanna race?!!?!?! ahhaha
Old 03-31-2009, 11:46 PM