3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Breath In and Breath Out!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

but vlsd>>>>>>>open dif... unless they know of a lsd that fits, and if so, that info should be posted somewhere (if you can get your hands on it).
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by CMax03
There's actually a company here in Houston that modifies the VG Auto trans with heavy pieces, modified valve body, etc! Those VG's in the junkyard have alot of new stuff that was recently fixed but the owners were tired of the cars and sold them to the junkyard cause most of those found there have no signs of a collision! I'll be prepared to expect the worst and I'll have one modified for HD usage!
Originally Posted by BenStoked
but vlsd>>>>>>>open dif... unless they know of a lsd that fits, and if so, that info should be posted somewhere (if you can get your hands on it).
yea, the VLSD is worth it

i am planning to take pearl93VE's ve-auto off his hands after he's done with his 5spd swap, and then install it on my car for a day or two to prove it can be done, and show how to do it. After that i'm putting my m/t back on and you can buy the VE a/t from me when i'm done with it, along with any parts you'll need for the conversion (like the flexplate, mounts, etc)
Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Wow that's some dedication Cadaver! I'll keep eyes open for a 5 spd! The junkyard must have 20 3rd gen at a time! Anyone got a part number for the 3rd gen Lsd?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Wow that's some dedication Cadaver! I'll keep eyes open for a 5 spd! The junkyard must have 20 3rd gen at a time! Anyone got a part number for the 3rd gen Lsd?
not sure if you can just buy the LSD thing anymore, and even if you could, you can't just toss it into a non-LSD trans case. the tranny is the RS5F50V tho.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
not sure if you can just buy the LSD thing anymore, and even if you could, you can't just toss it into a non-LSD trans case. the tranny is the RS5F50V tho.
I think installing a shift kit on a freshly remanufactured auto will reduce the smooth engagement therefore reduce that 3rd gear clutch pack failure that seems to plaque the 3rd gen auto trans.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I think installing a shift kit on a freshly remanufactured auto will reduce the smooth engagement therefore reduce that 3rd gear clutch pack failure that seems to plaque the 3rd gen auto trans.
even so wouldn't you rather avoid the one-tire-fire situation by having LSD? you can get the LSD trans, rebuild THAT for the same price give-or-take with the shift kit, still have LSD, and have a known-better reliability record to boot

the only REAL complication of wiring up the VLSD trans is that you need a switch to be ON under 1/16th throttle and OFF above 1/16th throttle. if you can do that then the rest is pretty simple stuff
Old 04-22-2009, 07:38 PM

I would love than traction benefits of LSD, I'm confused is VLSD (Viscous Limited slip differential) or that one with the switch for power or economy? You don't think that Quailfie has one that will fit this auto? Even with a little machine work?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I would love than traction benefits of LSD, I'm confused is VLSD (Viscous Limited slip differential) or that one with the switch for power or economy? You don't think that Quailfie has one that will fit this auto? Even with a little machine work?
both a/t's (vg and ve) had power/comfort settings, but the VE one had better internals and the VLSD. the quaife MIGHT fit if you persuade it, can't say for sure.

matter of fact i wanted to see if i could get one to fit in a vg m/t cuz it's supposedly similar to the 4g non-vlsd m/t but i haven't gotten ahold of the stocl 4G diff to put in a VG5 casing yet.

the real question is... do you want auto or do you want manual? the VLSD should be a no-brainer, and i know you're no stranger to custom work so putting the VE-auto on a VG should be cake or you. If you have AIM i can explain what's necessary to do it.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM

Are the bellhousing bolt patterms the same on the VE and VG? I don't have AIM! But I'll mess around with this trans that I have now and search the boneyards with a magnify glass, if I choose that route for right now Auto is the path I had already chose since the JWT ECU reflash was for that of an auto. I'll more than likely stay an auto. It's so many 3rd Gens in the boneyard maybe I'll squeeze a Qualfie unit into one or at least try! I've got an awesome machine shop that hasn't failed me yet in the last 6 or 7 engines I've built and many other things that were modified to take the abuse! There could be a LSD unit in another vehicle which isn't a Nissan that will fit our Gearbox, there's alot of parts out there it's really mind boggling.
Cadaver this is a street performance setup not just drag strip, So I'm thinking that cost and time wise...that shift kit will firm up the shifts a little more plus hold some gears a little longer when pushing hard into the throttle providing that extra application of torque/hp when passing or getting away from the traffic cluster. I'm really into cruising in both my Maximas not shifting/clutching or all that...I guess I'm aging surely but slowly and I really enjoy having a free hand well driving especially with my wife!

Last edited by CMax03; 04-22-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Are the bellhousing bolt patterms the same on the VE and VG? I don't have AIM! But I'll mess around with this trans that I have now and search the boneyards with a magnify glass, if I choose that route for right now Auto is the path I had already chose since the JWT ECU reflash was for that of an auto. I'll more than likely stay an auto. It's so many 3rd Gens in the boneyard maybe I'll squeeze a Qualfie unit into one or at least try! I've got an awesome machine shop that hasn't failed me yet in the last 6 or 7 engines I've built and many other things that were modified to take the abuse! There could be a LSD unit in another vehicle which isn't a Nissan that will fit our Gearbox, there's alot of parts out there it's really mind boggling.
Cadaver this is a street performance setup not just drag strip, So I'm thinking that cost and time wise...that shift kit will firm up the shifts a little more plus hold some gears a little longer when pushing hard into the throttle providing that extra application of torque/hp when passing or getting away from the traffic cluster. I'm really into cruising in both my Maximas not shifting/clutching or all that...I guess I'm aging surely but slowly and I really enjoy having a free hand well driving especially with my wife!
if a VE 5 tras bolts onto a VG block then so does a VE auto trans just gotta get the proper lower gussets. you're gonna have to do the hub/axle swap too for a VE trans, and of course you'll need the VE auto starter. your harness will plug into the VE trans just the way it is. you just have to rewire a few things on the TCU (keep your VG tcu) side behind the dash. and you need to use a Nissan Quest flexplate.

aim is easy to get btw. or any other instant messaging system you like (gmail chat, facebook chat, whatever)
Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
if a VE 5 tras bolts onto a VG block then so does a VE auto trans just gotta get the proper lower gussets. you're gonna have to do the hub/axle swap too for a VE trans, and of course you'll need the VE auto starter. your harness will plug into the VE trans just the way it is. you just have to rewire a few things on the TCU (keep your VG tcu) side behind the dash. and you need to use a Nissan Quest flexplate.

aim is easy to get btw. or any other instant messaging system you like (gmail chat, facebook chat, whatever)
I do have that AIM on my PC! I thought you were speaking of another program dealing with Nissan interchangeability between different models
Old 04-23-2009, 12:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I do have that AIM on my PC! I thought you were speaking of another program dealing with Nissan interchangeability between different models
n00b

well whenever you want to talk about it... PM me for s/n