3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

need help installing a cd player

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 04:10 PM

need help installing a cd player

can someone point me to instructions on how to install a cd player to a non-bose system. I did a search and really did not find much. Thanks
Old 11-26-2001, 04:20 PM

Re: need help installing a cd player

Originally posted by maximan
can someone point me to instructions on how to install a cd player to a non-bose system. I did a search and really did not find much. Thanks
Check out Craig B's site
http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gte671n/mymax.html
Old 11-28-2001, 03:57 PM

Thanks platinumplus. that's very informative. The only I'm not sure of is in what case I need to by pass the amp in the rear speakers. and how do I do it. anyone? thanks for your help
Old 11-28-2001, 04:49 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

you

Shouldnt have to if you have a non bose system. I dont think you have amps on the rear speakers.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:15 PM

maximan,

is there 1 amp for both rear speakers? if so, then there should be a harness leading into the amp (maybe 2). if you're bypassing, then you want to splice into the harness before it goes into the amp and take the speaker wires (2 thin ones) and connect those to your speakers. the bose system has 4 wires: 2 thin, 2 thick. just make sure you use the thin wires. the black is negative and white (?) is positive.

take this information with a grain of salt since i've only by-passed the amps on my bose. if you can't connect the rears, then you might be better off running new speaker wires for the rears (and maybe even the fronts).

good luck.
Old 11-28-2001, 06:35 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I could have sworn

Originally posted by ghostmax
maximan,

is there 1 amp for both rear speakers? if so, then there should be a harness leading into the amp (maybe 2). if you're bypassing, then you want to splice into the harness before it goes into the amp and take the speaker wires (2 thin ones) and connect those to your speakers. the bose system has 4 wires: 2 thin, 2 thick. just make sure you use the thin wires. the black is negative and white (?) is positive.

take this information with a grain of salt since i've only by-passed the amps on my bose. if you can't connect the rears, then you might be better off running new speaker wires for the rears (and maybe even the fronts).

good luck.
he said he had a non-bose system. oh wait
cd player to a non-bose system.
guess im not losing my mind
Old 11-28-2001, 07:42 PM

I just put in a new CD player and speakers in active speaker system

take two wires running to each speaker. Take wire cutters. Cut wire. Crimp wire to new speaker wires. Done.

There is a singel amp in the trunk, but I don't think it really does much. I'm pretty sure I've blown it out, but I sure as hell can't tell. Active speaker system is REAL easy to work with. When puttin the CD deck in, though, make sure you have the dual diversity antenna adapter.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:30 PM

Re: I just put in a new CD player and speakers in active speaker system

Originally posted by Gamezilla
I'm pretty sure I've blown it out, but I sure as hell can't tell.
if you've blown it, your rear speakers won't work. pretty damn easy to tell.
Old 11-28-2001, 10:25 PM

Re: I could have sworn

Originally posted by N34JZ

he said he had a non-bose system. oh wait guess im not losing my mind
I never said he didn't have a non-bose system. i was merely passing on advice for by-passing the amp, which would probably be similar to a bose system. thanks, please drive to the second window.
Old 11-29-2001, 11:16 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Re: Re: I could have sworn

Originally posted by ghostmax

I never said he didn't have a non-bose system. i was merely passing on advice for by-passing the amp, which would probably be similar to a bose system. thanks, please drive to the second window.
I dont think the non bose systems have amps for each speaker but mabey they do. so dont get so defensive.
Old 11-29-2001, 06:15 PM

thank you all for your comments. the circuit city guy led me to believe that I have to bypass the amp(s) in the rear. Yes, my max has Clarion HU & active speakers. We'll find out when I start working on it this weekend. I'll post back so you all know the result.

Gamezilla! yes, I do have the antenna adapter & wire harness.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:31 PM

OK, there's an amp in the rear on the left side. Without rewiring there's no sound coming out from the rear speakers.
Old 11-30-2001, 08:24 PM

Sounds like you blew your amp. That's gonna cost a lot of $$$, but I'm not sure how much (mine's still working, so I haven't replaced it). I don't know how to install them, so I'd have an audio place do it if I were you (looks kinda complicated, but it may look worse than it really is). Before you go out and get an amp, check to make sure you put the speakers in right. You should have:

Unplugged the plug from each speaker. Taken the wire that ran into the stock speakers and moved up and inch or so and cut the wire (keeping the plug just in case). Taken the new speakers and plugged the + and - end into the speaker. Taken the other ends and crimped them to the cut wire from the car, matching up stripes with stripes and solids with solids. If you've done it right, and your sure there is an electrical flow, then you've blown your amp for sure. Go to courtesy nissan for that part.

To test the current, wet your finger, then grab at the exposed metal the + and - wires connecting to the speakers. If you recieve a shock and forget what speakes are, then you don't have to worry about it anymore! j/k
Old 11-30-2001, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by Gamezilla
Sounds like you blew your amp. That's gonna cost a lot of $$$, but I'm not sure how much (mine's still working, so I haven't replaced it).
the stock amp is ****. its better if it wasn't there at all.
Old 12-01-2001, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by maximan
OK, there's an amp in the rear on the left side. Without rewiring there's no sound coming out from the rear speakers.
Just bypass the amp as I described in a post above, and you should be fine. Look for a harness leading to the amp. You want to cut into that and splice only the speaker wires to the speakers, thereby bypassing the amp. Right now, your HU is sending the signal to your rear amp (which is dead), and the dead amp is sending the signal to your speakers. That's why passing the amp works--because the dead amp never sees the signal in the first place.