3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I hate these auto seat belts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
i m going to dealer tomorrow and ask them about warranty...if they remember this year Maximas anyways...
i mean... they will honor it on a canadian car in canada w/ manual seatbelts..... and on a US car in the US with auto seatbelts.... i'm curious if they'd honor:

a) warranty on a stock-seatbelted car that was driven across the border (canada spec car registered in the US or vice-versa)
b) proper-country car whose seatbelt type has been converted (US car with canadian seatbelts)
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
i dont care, manual seat belts FTW and they got lifetime warranty as well
Old 08-22-2009, 04:53 PM

lololololololololololololololol

americans and their auto seatbelts...

but seriously, there's nothing wrong with auto belts, if anything i think it'd help save lives b/c you can't forget to put it on unless you unclip it.

The one bonus i can think of to swap over from the dark side err *cough* i mean put in the canuck belts is for the adjustability on the B-pillar like Caped said.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM

the shoulder belts are safe the only time they're probably not safe is if you armorall your seats too much and you slam on the brakes and you slide under...but other than that they're pretty good.

i'm amazed that my maxima still moves back and forth with no lag, chatter, or stops right in the middle.

my cougar gave me so much problems with that.

it's funny to see some people get in and the belts move back on them.
but it kinda pisses me off that they ***** and complain about them when they need to get out and it does'nt "move" to fast for them or something.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM

Only problem i have with mine is every now and then the seat belt will get stuck when i open the door and i cant get out so i have to unclip it at the top but at that point it is soo tight that when you push the butten down to unclip it the seat belt comes flying out lol... not cool
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 PM

oh thats the...i forgot whats it called.
but what it does is when the car comes to a quick stop the seatbelts lock to prevet you from slamming into the steering wheel or dash.

my car does that some times if i hit the brakes to hard, come to a stop, then take off. they still lock unless i coast...no gas, no brakes.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

Originally Posted by 1991Maxima1991
Honestly i dont mind them as much as my passangers do... i never have to think about buckeling up...

Old 08-26-2009, 07:46 AM

I love them, My ex hated them. I think that's why she left me
Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 PM

These are not safe for kids, always put them in the back seat.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by aaroneckblad
Of course, you put kids in the back seat. That way when you go to slap them, there is more emphasis on your sincerity to your anger/frustration, and less momentum behind the palm.

seriously, tho, I was driving my mom's miata today (), and as I was accelerating to get on the highhway, as I look back to see if there are cars coming, the seatbelt locks up, and I cant see ****, due to the design of the convertible top (it was raining, so of course it was up).
same crap happens in my dad's f150, and my brother's 'lude.

so you can keep your canadian seatbelts, I chose my automatic ones that only lock when I need them to (when I am stopping, not going faster.)
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by aaroneckblad
that applies to ALL cars. Kids belong in the back seat period.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:57 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I'm amazed all the replies in this thread regarding people not having to "remember" to buckle up.

A) you still have to buckle the lap belt (decapitation anybody?)

B) how do you people "forget" to buckle up anyway??

Even when I was 16 young and stupid and first started driving I absolutely buckled up every single time I got in a car. It's mind boggling to me that it's not a given for people to wear their seatbelt every time. Heck, I put my seat belt on before putting the car into gear. To me it's an un-skippable part of the driving process. I even make sure my passenger puts his or her seltbelt on too. You know how bad that would suck to get in a wreck and kill your passenger because you didn't make sure he/she was wearing the seatbelt?

I mean, do you people "forget" to put clothes on before you go to work too?

I just seriously cannot fathom "forgetting" to wear a seatbelt. Like, I literally cannot wrap my mind around that. It should be an absolute given like breathing, or getting dressed, etc.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 PM

lol, i always wore/wear my belt too. I remember one time i was in a rush to get somewhere in the neighborhood and it was a minute away so i didnt put my belt on. It feels absolutely horribly, it feels like youre going to fly allover

of course now with the Sparco seats and harness's i'm fully covered
Old 08-28-2009, 08:09 PM

For me it's seeing the person in the passenger seat struggle, pull, and figure out how to put their seatbelt on and when they ask me how to I give them the same response every time, "Just let her do her thang". hahaha

I love my auto seatbelts and hope they continue to buckle me in for as long as I have my 3rd Gen.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i drove pre 66 cars for the first 15 yrs of having a licence seatbelts were an option back then and none of mine had belts so i love the auto belts for the reason im not used to having belts at all.but mine are not working right have to leave car on and open door for them to move
Old 08-29-2009, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by jimkev68
i drove pre 66 cars for the first 15 yrs of having a licence seatbelts were an option back then and none of mine had belts so i love the auto belts for the reason im not used to having belts at all.but mine are not working right have to leave car on and open door for them to move
Do the dash lights also not work?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

no worries for me, i always wear my seatbelt, even if im going 1/6 mile to my pool. Its a free insurance policy and i dont even want to imagine what happens to a humans delicate body after coming to a stop instasntly from a high speed. nasssty
Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
...Ehhh... but you still have to remember to buckle the lap belt. People who get in my car never realize they have to buckle the lap belt and I always have to tell them to do so. If you get in a crash without the lap belt you'll likely be decapitated

Meh, I got into a single vehicle accident about three months ago. 50-0 in 10 feet. I felt the shoulder belt alone working flawlessly. I never wear my lap belt, and I probably never will either because I didn't get hurt. Like at all. No torso pain either.

HOWEVER, make sure your belt isn't twisted, to ensure the integrity of the belt and to avoid pressure points/potential for lacerations. During the colder months, jackets I wear tend to cause the seatbelt to fold, and to not lay flat against my body as the seatbelt closes on you.

The only problem is when I stop too quickly, attempt to get out of the car, and the belt gets stuck mid-track because the momentum lock is still active on the seatbelt.

The problem is that no one knows how to leave my car. Not my problem, though They just don't realize that they'd probably get out faster if they just sat back and waited.

My favorite one is where a new passenger throws the belt behind their head, they open the door, and the belt makes them attempt an auto-fellatio

I trust the setup over a 3 point rig, since it's a 4-point one. But that's if I wear it.

If you're worried about decapitation... pull the seat up and sit up straight. Even my 5'00" mom's shoulder and neck cleared the shoulder belt. The more recline you have, the higher chance you'll slip under and the seatbelt will catch your neck

Last edited by colinod; 01-20-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Wow I had forgot all about this thread.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:49 PM

I HATE the auto seatbelts! I hated them when I had my 3rd gen and I hate them on my wife's '91. They are easily one of the stupidest inventions for a car of all time. This is the way I see the conversation going when they were brainstorming this POS.

"Hey guys, let's make an auto seatbelt."

"Great, then you won't have to remember to put it on, it'll save lives etc."

"Let's just do it half assed though and only make the shoulder belt automatic!"

"Even better, cause that makes a lot of sense."

My wife wrecked her (actually my old one) 3rd gen a few years back. She crumpled up the front end pretty good, but the airbag never went off. She never wears the lap belt as she's been lulled into a false sense of security with the worthless "auto seatbelt". My guess is-and I have no way to prove this-that the airbag never deployed as the lap belt wasn't connected. We replaced the wrecked 3rd gen with another 3rd gen and she still isn't wearing the lap belt as she's so used to having the feeling of the shoulder belt making her subconsciously believe she's got the full belt on.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 AM
mod or sell?

so because of the fact that your wife doesn't learn, you think the auto seatbelts are a bad thing?
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I've spoke with several cops about this issue. I've got mixed reviews, but most say you MUST still wear your lap belt or it is illegal (specifically for those who live in states like me, with mandatory belt laws). My ex-wife was ticketed couple of years ago for no lap belt...had to pay, lost in court. Still up to the officer and how close they are looking. Any state not have mandatory belt laws?

Anyway, I won't lie and say I wear my lap belt in my 3rd. For me, where the lap belt is located, and I'm a big 6'2" guy, getting the lap belt and buckling it is more cumbersom than reaching at chest level for a manual belt. I'm not saying it's hard, just akward because I think we've all learned to buckle reaching at the chest for the belt in non-auto cars. I believe that is the issue others may struggle with, especially since the chest belt is more noticeable and pressing against you, having the manual belt in place does offer a false since of security and disregard for the lap restraint.

For those who have not been injured having failed to wear your lap belt, great...I am happy for your safety. However, the lap belt serves a purpose and under the right conditions, will allow you to slip into the floor....especially the passenger who is not "bracing" for impact, does not have feet planted against a surface, and does not have their arms in a position to help brace and secure them into their seat.

Do not be niave, not wearing your lap belt CAN and WILL result in increased injuries.

(Shameless plug) If any Canadians want a set of auto seat belts, I've got an extra driver's and passenger's system for a conversion!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:06 AM

dont think any of us would want a conversion

Harnesses are way comfier than manual seatbelts even, i'm 6'0 and the manual seatbelt would always nail my neck and theyre a pain on the arm. With harnesses you just have the lap part and the 2 straps going straight down over your shoulders so your arms are free.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Just joking...I wouldn't sell these anyway. I keep them only if someone needed them should theirs fail. They are free (except shipping).

But seriously, the restraint systems are covered under warranty because it is federal law to have operating safety restraints in cars. I understand all manufacturers are required to repair belts should they brake or fail.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
so because of the fact that your wife doesn't learn, you think the auto seatbelts are a bad thing?
No, they suck regardless. It doesn't really matter anyway as auto belts are all thankfully long gone now.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I've spoke with several cops about this issue. I've got mixed reviews, but most say you MUST still wear your lap belt or it is illegal (specifically for those who live in states like me, with mandatory belt laws). My ex-wife was ticketed couple of years ago for no lap belt...had to pay, lost in court. Still up to the officer and how close they are looking. Any state not have mandatory belt laws?

Anyway, I won't lie and say I wear my lap belt in my 3rd. For me, where the lap belt is located, and I'm a big 6'2" guy, getting the lap belt and buckling it is more cumbersom than reaching at chest level for a manual belt. I'm not saying it's hard, just akward because I think we've all learned to buckle reaching at the chest for the belt in non-auto cars. I believe that is the issue others may struggle with, especially since the chest belt is more noticeable and pressing against you, having the manual belt in place does offer a false since of security and disregard for the lap restraint.

For those who have not been injured having failed to wear your lap belt, great...I am happy for your safety. However, the lap belt serves a purpose and under the right conditions, will allow you to slip into the floor....especially the passenger who is not "bracing" for impact, does not have feet planted against a surface, and does not have their arms in a position to help brace and secure them into their seat.

Do not be niave, not wearing your lap belt CAN and WILL result in increased injuries.

(Shameless plug) If any Canadians want a set of auto seat belts, I've got an extra driver's and passenger's system for a conversion!
Wearing a seat belt is a US law now, no longer just state.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

The autobelts used to accidently choke my wife when she wasn't paying attention. I had to like bite myself from ROTFLMAO
Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Wearing a seat belt is a US law now, no longer just state.
I know they JUST passed a bill in VA where they can now pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt. In the past they could only cite you IF they noted the violation AFTER pulling you over for another violation ie: speeding, etc.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I know they JUST passed a bill in VA where they can now pull you over for not wearing a seatbelt. In the past they could only cite you IF they noted the violation AFTER pulling you over for another violation ie: speeding, etc.
illinois is/was like that with only for another violation. I know they now do roadside spot checks for seat belts every now and then
Old 01-29-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by colinod
Meh, I got into a single vehicle accident about three months ago. 50-0 in 10 feet. I felt the shoulder belt alone working flawlessly. I never wear my lap belt, and I probably never will either because I didn't get hurt. Like at all. No torso pain either.

HOWEVER, make sure your belt isn't twisted, to ensure the integrity of the belt and to avoid pressure points/potential for lacerations. During the colder months, jackets I wear tend to cause the seatbelt to fold, and to not lay flat against my body as the seatbelt closes on you.

The only problem is when I stop too quickly, attempt to get out of the car, and the belt gets stuck mid-track because the momentum lock is still active on the seatbelt.

The problem is that no one knows how to leave my car. Not my problem, though They just don't realize that they'd probably get out faster if they just sat back and waited.

My favorite one is where a new passenger throws the belt behind their head, they open the door, and the belt makes them attempt an auto-fellatio

I trust the setup over a 3 point rig, since it's a 4-point one. But that's if I wear it.

If you're worried about decapitation... pull the seat up and sit up straight. Even my 5'00" mom's shoulder and neck cleared the shoulder belt. The more recline you have, the higher chance you'll slip under and the seatbelt will catch your neck
Glad you didn't get hurt, but you're overlooking major scenarios in which a complete seatbelt setup saves your life. Sure, on a direct head on collision with just the shoulder strap you're likely to be fine assuming your height/seat angle/etc. are all okay.

But what about if you flipped the car? What if you rolled a few times? What if you got T-boned? What if you got in some other sort of nasty unconventional accident? You really think you wouldn't move out of the seat?

Like I said, I'm glad you didn't get hurt, but using that as justification for not using your lap belt is downright foolish. Your body, your car, your choice, etc. but I just seriously cannot fathom the ambivalence some of you show for proper seatbelts
Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by James92SE
Glad you didn't get hurt, but you're overlooking major scenarios in which a complete seatbelt setup saves your life. Sure, on a direct head on collision with just the shoulder strap you're likely to be fine assuming your height/seat angle/etc. are all okay.

But what about if you flipped the car? What if you rolled a few times? What if you got T-boned? What if you got in some other sort of nasty unconventional accident? You really think you wouldn't move out of the seat?

Like I said, I'm glad you didn't get hurt, but using that as justification for not using your lap belt is downright foolish. Your body, your car, your choice, etc. but I just seriously cannot fathom the ambivalence some of you show for proper seatbelts
Do these even work like proper seat belts? They feel so fragile compared to other cars with manual belts.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 PM

auto belt

Man, that's great that these will be covered for the life of the car. I have to check up on this.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:36 PM

auto belts

Has anyone put S14 belts or something similar in here.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:24 AM

its more convenient. Never had problems being choked, are you fat or something LOL. However my driver side isn't working cause the seat belt cord needs to be replaced.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's really annoying when I drive other people's cars because I get so used to opening the door and having the seat belt come off. I just sit there idly waiting for the seatbelt to come off.