3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cooling leak near oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 PM

Cooling leak near oil pump?

A couple of days ago I saw that water was leaking from somewhere on the passenger side of the motor, when I got underneath i found this hole:

The belt you see is the oil pump, how can water get down there, or is it a part of the engine block?
Can I just plug the hole?

Other upload:

Last edited by jvc1986; 10-16-2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:24 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

can't see the pics but i assume it's the weep hole in the water pump.
VG30E...you'll need to swap the water pump.
if your timing belt has over 30K on it then i would change the t-belt, tensioner, etc. also.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 AM

The hole is under the oil pump, the water pump is located higher up, isn't it?
The hole isn't round, so I dont think it's supposed to be there.
Ill try upload the pics elsewhere.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by jvc1986
The hole is under the oil pump, the water pump is located higher up, isn't it?
The hole isn't round, so I dont think it's supposed to be there.
Ill try upload the pics elsewhere.
ok i see the pics now...
yes water pump is higher up...water travels down.

that's not actually a hole it's the gap between the oil pump piece and the lower timing cover.

behind the t-belt cover the water pump is leaking and it's running down the block to this hole.

defintely get this looked at since coolant on your t-belt is not good.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 AM

Ahh, I see, thanks

Gonna fix this, winter is coming and with water leaking alot, i have to refill every day.

Just to pull out the old pump and insert a new one?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Ahh, I see, thanks

Gonna fix this, winter is coming and with water leaking alot, i have to refill every day.

Just to pull out the old pump and insert a new one?
do the t-belt also. once that belt get wet with fluid it'll shorten it's life.

you have to get in there anyway to swap the pump...might as well get a new tensioner and a belt to play it safe.

also looks like you might have a weeping crank seal...so might want to change that too if it's within your skill level.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:21 AM

Isn't it a PITA to change the timing belt?
Not very much space left there..
Why couldn't they make it rear wheel drive instead..
Old 10-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Isn't it a PITA to change the timing belt?
Not very much space left there..
Why couldn't they make it rear wheel drive instead..
it's a PITA to change the pump...so since you're virtually in there might as well do both.

why risk the engine on a few parts that's less than 100 buck.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:02 AM

With the temperature outside being around 32 degrees Fahrenheit i'll have a Nissan dealer fixing this for me, no way i'm gonna do this myself with no place to stay in.

They will replace the belt, tensioner and pump for me, for around USD 900-1200, just for curiosity, how much would this cost in US, apx?

But thanks alot for the help

Not sure what the milage on the old belt was either, most likely it would need replacement after all.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:22 PM
I miss my VE

If your not sure when the belt was changed, change it. Trust me on that one. I 'thought' i knew when my belt was changed on my old VG.. Well that didn't end well. Do it now and forget about it.

And why take it to the dealer? Especially for an old car. It's more like a stealer. No good mechanics around where you live?

With the temperature outside being around 32 degrees Fahrenheit i'll have a Nissan dealer fixing this for me, no way i'm gonna do this myself with no place to stay in.

They will replace the belt, tensioner and pump for me, for around USD 900-1200, just for curiosity, how much would this cost in US, apx?

But thanks alot for the help

Not sure what the milage on the old belt was either, most likely it would need replacement after all.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned

It could also be a couple of flanges that are also sealed by RTV. Notice in the photo from the bottom up:

a) Water Pump Flange
b) Thermostat Housing Bottom Flange
c) Thermostat Housing Front Flange
d) Thermostat Housing Rear Flange (Although may not trickle down if it got pooled in the valley of death)
e) Intake Manifold-->Bypass Water Pipe Flange (Not Pictured because Intake Manifold is removed)

It's also possible a hose clamp is loose or the hose is rotten. Maybe check the short bypass hose. Mine started leaking before I replaced it a few yrs ago.

By the way, I would try to confirm that you determined it's the pump before you do all that work for maybe nothing. You may get the engine back together and the leak will still be there.

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 10-23-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1993-VG30E-GXE
It could also be a couple of flanges that are also sealed by RTV. Notice in the photo from the bottom up:

a) Water Pump Flange
b) Thermostat Housing Bottom Flange
c) Thermostat Housing Front Flange
d) Thermostat Housing Rear Flange (Although may not trickle down if it got pooled in the valley of death)
e) Intake Manifold-->Bypass Water Pipe Flange (Not Pictured because Intake Manifold is removed)

It's also possible a hose clamp is loose or the hose is rotten. Maybe check the short bypass hose. Mine started leaking before I replaced it a few yrs ago.

By the way, I would try to confirm that you determined it's the pump before you do all that work for maybe nothing. You may get the engine back together and the leak will still be there.

Holy Sh*t you you have pictures! LOL

anyway good call but with the location of where the leak is draining from and the rest looks relatively dry its more than likely the pump weep hole. also he has coolant on the belt know that is even more of a reason to get the whole thing taken care of.

wow i cant get over the fact the are pictures! LOL

Is that your REBUILD VG
Old 10-25-2009, 02:09 AM
Banned

Yes, those were taken a few days ago. By the way I was doing the timing belt tonight and I have no clue what that spring is for behind the timing belt tensioner. Does anyone have a clue?

It didn't really do anything for me to set the tension because I just used the allen key to pivot the thing then slightly tighten it in place, then apply the 22 lbs to the belt then measure the deflection.

The thing kept flicking off the little stud, it's as if the length of that wire thing was too short (it was new OEM too). I just removed it because it looked like it was going to rattle around and maybe get stuck in the belt.

Is it some sort of backup in case the torqued hex nut fails on the front of the tensioner? Like it would keep some tension on the belt?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Yes, those were taken a few days ago. By the way I was doing the timing belt tonight and I have no clue what that spring is for behind the timing belt tensioner. Does anyone have a clue?

It didn't really do anything for me to set the tension because I just used the allen key to pivot the thing then slightly tighten it in place, then apply the 22 lbs to the belt then measure the deflection.

The thing kept flicking off the little stud, it's as if the length of that wire thing was too short (it was new OEM too). I just removed it because it looked like it was going to rattle around and maybe get stuck in the belt.

Is it some sort of backup in case the torqued hex nut fails on the front of the tensioner? Like it would keep some tension on the belt?
you probably put it on the wrong side of the stud. if you do it one way it slips off, but the other way it doesn't.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:26 PM

You could call it a stealer, yes.
So I did replace the pump and belt myself this weekend, but weather kicked in with rain right after I had got the belt covers back on, so atm i'm carless:P
Have my day off tomorrow, hoping for better weather, just have to get the other belts on and refill the radiator.

The leak was from the weap hole, belt looked fine, no cracks, but changed it anyway.
Mom is picking me up for work today:P

Thanks for all help
Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

You could call it a stealer, yes.
So I did replace the pump and belt myself this weekend, but weather kicked in with rain right after I had got the belt covers back on, so atm i'm carless:P
Have my day off tomorrow, hoping for better weather, just have to get the other belts on and refill the radiator.

The leak was from the weap hole, belt looked fine, no cracks, but changed it anyway.
Mom is picking me up for work today:P

Thanks for all help
good to see VG was wrong again.

good job on getting it done yourself. make sure you get the belt on and hand spin the engine a few turns to make sure it's moving ok.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:09 AM

Did give it some turns, looked ok.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DanNY
good to see VG was wrong again.

good job on getting it done yourself. make sure you get the belt on and hand spin the engine a few turns to make sure it's moving ok.
Dan how come I affect you so much? I notice whenever I say something you have some chip on your shoulder. It's strange, i've never experienced this before.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Dan how come I affect you so much? I notice whenever I say something you have some chip on your shoulder. It's strange, i've never experienced this before.
because you're our not-so-friendly neighborhood dunce! you're fun to pick on because you somehow can't see the truth about yourself
Old 10-26-2009, 11:56 AM
Banned

There you go again Caped. I'll give you a little 'city lesson'. In the club scene the DJ arrives at the club usually with a guy who carries the records for the DJ. Most of the time this guy is a friend of the DJ or he's simply a guy who 'wants in'. The second kind of guy is referred to as a ball washer - the term coined from the golf course of the guy who washes the ***** in the golf ball cleaner, although he can also be the first kind of guy. He's a minion. He has no opinions of his own, he only chooses to side with others and is loyal like mans best friend, like a dog.

Now i'm not saying this is you completely, but you do have some traits of a ballwasher. Question was asked to Dan, not to his side kick.

I hope this little lesson helps and in time as you grow up you'll understand what I'm saying. It may happen in your late twenties when you realize this, but you will eventually notice it, and naturally you'll stop.

[Lastly you don't pick on me, nobody on this site does, I make some people feel threatened but the problem is within them and their confidence, and they lash out by attempting to insult me but in the end they feel like they've lost always]

Last edited by 1993-VG30E-GXE; 10-26-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

Oh and one more thing, this post is not meant to start another useless rant or disagreement. He who starts it (Dan) is perfectly aware of what he's doing.

The funny thing is, a moderator or administrator is supposed to be the mature one.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

There you go again Caped. I'll give you a little 'city lesson'. In the club scene the DJ arrives at the club usually with a guy who carries the records for the DJ. Most of the time this guy is a friend of the DJ or he's simply a guy who 'wants in'. The second kind of guy is referred to as a ball washer - the term coined from the golf course of the guy who washes the ***** in the golf ball cleaner, although he can also be the first kind of guy. He's a minion. He has no opinions of his own, he only chooses to side with others and is loyal like mans best friend, like a dog.

Now i'm not saying this is you completely, but you do have some traits of a ballwasher. Question was asked to Dan, not to his side kick.

I hope this little lesson helps and in time as you grow up you'll understand what I'm saying. It may happen in your late twenties when you realize this, but you will eventually notice it, and naturally you'll stop.

[Lastly you don't pick on me, nobody on this site does, I make some people feel threatened but the problem is within them and their confidence, and they lash out by attempting to insult me but in the end they feel like they've lost always]
Honestly dude you have a yellow engine /mancard

And what honestly makes you think ANY of us are threatened by you? By your unsafe car if we perchange take a drive in Canuckistan? Yes. By you? Not a chance.

And how do you know I have no opinions of my own? Maybe I just happen to agree with DanNY 100% about you. As do many others on here.... it's called "great minds think alike". Besides if you look at my 3rd gen you'll notice that I didn't go the same direction as everyone else... I did a mod or two that nobody else had before (5.5gen BBK in case you don't remember). And no other Maxima on the road looked quite like mine. So there.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 10-26-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

because you can't admit that you're wrong.
when i'm wrong i'll admit it...but you can't.
once you're able to accept the fact that you're WRONG...then the world would be great.

no chip on this shoulder. you're just wrong...and i like to point it out when people are wrong. don't think you're that special.

it's strange because you don't have any "friends" to tell it to you in your face. ppl just ignore you.

Last edited by DanNY; 10-26-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Oh and one more thing, this post is not meant to start another useless rant or disagreement. He who starts it (Dan) is perfectly aware of what he's doing.

The funny thing is, a moderator or administrator is supposed to be the mature one.
you called another member a ball washer....if that's not a useless rant i don't know what is.

i made one comment that you were incorrect...which in this case is TRUE.
you're not mature enough to accept that and now you're pointing fingers to me to say i started it? are you old enough to drive? how old are you?

i don't have to be anything...where does it say that i have to act a certain way here? one thing for sure is you seem to p1ss off every member you encounter.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:29 AM
No turbo, no care!

Leave him alone!

I think its time to leave 1993-VG30E-GXE alone. Half his posts are about simple/basic automotive questions and the other half are about how stupid everyone else is and how smart he is. I think its pretty obvious he is not playing with a full deck, and its just cruel to keep making fun of him. I am not pointing finger at anyone, I initially gave him ludicrous advice thinking he would recognize it as such, yet he ran with it which made me feel guilty.
At this point it's just beating a dead horse, he doesn’t get it and he never will, just leave the poor guy alone. Despite asking for advice, he clearly isn’t open to help from those who are in the know; in his mind he must "figure it out himself” or it is some type of insult to his intelligence (if we can call it that).
While he can’t figure out how to rebuild his engine without asking a million questions, and despite the fact that I’ve rebuilt multiple VGs (and even turbocharged my car) he considers me a “wannabe”. As most know, DanNY has also done some serious work with VGs, including turboing his own yet 1993-VG30E-GXE seems to think he is above him, so it’s pretty obvious this guy is on a level of his own.
I know 1993-VG30E-GXE will have some “smart” retort, please just leave him alone and stop making fun of him; he doesn’t get it.

(PS 1993-VG30E-GXE, I am trying to stand up for you so don’t tell me I need a hug, unless you still really don’t get it)
Old 10-27-2009, 02:56 AM

Look under the hood and find the source at the hightest point!
Old 10-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
I think its time to leave 1993-VG30E-GXE alone. Half his posts are about simple/basic automotive questions and the other half are about how stupid everyone else is and how smart he is. I think its pretty obvious he is not playing with a full deck, and its just cruel to keep making fun of him. I am not pointing finger at anyone, I initially gave him ludicrous advice thinking he would recognize it as such, yet he ran with it which made me feel guilty.
At this point it's just beating a dead horse, he doesn’t get it and he never will, just leave the poor guy alone. Despite asking for advice, he clearly isn’t open to help from those who are in the know; in his mind he must "figure it out himself” or it is some type of insult to his intelligence (if we can call it that).
While he can’t figure out how to rebuild his engine without asking a million questions, and despite the fact that I’ve rebuilt multiple VGs (and even turbocharged my car) he considers me a “wannabe”. As most know, DanNY has also done some serious work with VGs, including turboing his own yet 1993-VG30E-GXE seems to think he is above him, so it’s pretty obvious this guy is on a level of his own.
I know 1993-VG30E-GXE will have some “smart” retort, please just leave him alone and stop making fun of him; he doesn’t get it.

(PS 1993-VG30E-GXE, I am trying to stand up for you so don’t tell me I need a hug, unless you still really don’t get it)
did you wake up on the wrong side of the garage today?
wait...there's a turbo in my car? how did that get there?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:01 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DanNY
did you wake up on the wrong side of the garage today?
wait...there's a turbo in my car? how did that get there?
why's he sleeping in the garage anyways?

actually to be honest i took a nap under my car once while doing inner tierods so i can't say much.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
why's he sleeping in the garage anyways?

actually to be honest i took a nap under my car once while doing inner tierods so i can't say much.
i did that changing the gas tank on my Mustang, maybe i was tired, maybe it was the fumes, but it was a good nap! LOL
Old 10-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 300zmax
i did that changing the gas tank on my Mustang, maybe i was tired, maybe it was the fumes, but it was a good nap! LOL
well i had been up literally all night long changing the tranny on a zx2 and after the new tranny was mounted (around 8am) i left and went home to attempt to work on my car but i was just too far gone to stay up any longer so i took about an hour nap without even realizing what had happened until i saw that it was 10am