3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help fast!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 AM

Help fast!

I was driving last night and i came to a stop light, as i started to accelerate the car really wouldn't go, the car felt like it was going to die so i pulled over and shut the car down. I tried to start the car back and it idling really hard and shut down. it kept shutting down after i kept starting it, so i went to the gas station to get some gas i added the gas and the gar kinda started faster but idled bad and died. So i go out this morning and took the hose of the filter to see if gas was coming out with the car in the "on" position and there was no gas coming. some one told me the gas i used yesterday was watered down, and that it might of froze in the lines. So right now my car wont even start period, whats the chances of fuel in the line freezing? how would someone even deal with this, or does this sound like a fuel pump problem.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM

I would start diagnosing your pump. The idea of "watered down" is to me just silly. Granted, some gasoline on the market is indeed cheaper in quality as it is cut with other combustible chemicals that make life easier for the gas companies: water would seize your engine and keep you from buying more gas. There are numerous posts and threads on how to diagnose your pump, if of course you didn't know that already, and I wish you the best of luck. Another thing to consider is a clogged filter: I have dealt with one, and it causes incredibly aggravating performance like you describe.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ve30max
I would start diagnosing your pump. The idea of "watered down" is to me just silly. Granted, some gasoline on the market is indeed cheaper in quality as it is cut with other combustible chemicals that make life easier for the gas companies: water would seize your engine and keep you from buying more gas. There are numerous posts and threads on how to diagnose your pump, if of course you didn't know that already, and I wish you the best of luck. Another thing to consider is a clogged filter: I have dealt with one, and it causes incredibly aggravating performance like you describe.
I bought filter in december, i checked relay it's good, fuse it's good I have no multimeter so I took the hose of the filter, and turn the key to "on" no fuel, i also don't hear the pump kick on I thinks it gone car has 204,xxx and it's never been change so I'm going with the pump... Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 01:04 PM
98 SE

Always go the cheapest route first. Add "high quality" gas line antifreeze to your tank. I've had bad fuel stall my engine miles after I filled up. Then I'd replace the fuel filter with an Nissan OEM filter. Make sure it's installed with the flow in the correct direction...then I'd troubleshoot the fuel pump. I've never had a fuel pump go bad in any ot the three Nissans I own.

I'd bet water in fuel and it froze up on you.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Same symptoms I had last year when my fuel pump was on it's way out. Replaced the pump, and all was well. Likely it's the pump going out, but definitely check the rest of the fuel system components. The good thing with the 3rd gens is you can access the pump from under the rear seat, so most people can do it themselves, instead of having to drop the tank, which is a bi@*!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by 93SCMax
Always go the cheapest route first. Add "high quality" gas line antifreeze to your tank. I've had bad fuel stall my engine miles after I filled up. Then I'd replace the fuel filter with an Nissan OEM filter. Make sure it's installed with the flow in the correct direction...then I'd troubleshoot the fuel pump. I've never had a fuel pump go bad in any ot the three Nissans I own.

I'd bet water in fuel and it froze up on you.
Wats good quality gas antifreeze, and the filter is nissan oem since december, my car won't even start though would that still be a gas lin prob?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mszilves
Same symptoms I had last year when my fuel pump was on it's way out. Replaced the pump, and all was well. Likely it's the pump going out, but definitely check the rest of the fuel system components. The good thing with the 3rd gens is you can access the pump from under the rear seat, so most people can do it themselves, instead of having to drop the tank, which is a bi@*!
Same exact symptoms ehh I can't argue with experience
Old 01-17-2010, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by biggz2332
Same exact symptoms ehh I can't argue with experience
Yes, it feels like you have no power, since your fuel pressure will likely fluctuate with a bad pump. Pump failure modes could be catastrophic, in which case your car won't even start, or it could slowly be dying, with the car having intermittent power/starting problems. As a side note, you should always try and keep your tank on the full side, to keep the pump submerged and help keep it cool. Running on empty/near empty on a regular basis can lead to premature pump failure, especially with the cheaper aftermarket pumps.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by mszilves
Yes, it feels like you have no power, since your fuel pressure will likely fluctuate with a bad pump. Pump failure modes could be catastrophic, in which case your car won't even start, or it could slowly be dying, with the car having intermittent power/starting problems. As a side note, you should always try and keep your tank on the full side, to keep the pump submerged and help keep it cool. Running on empty/near empty on a regular basis can lead to premature pump failure, especially with the cheaper aftermarket pumps.
I learned my lesson now I've been driving basically on empty have the time I have to go back to school tomorrow so imma have to take shots with the pump
Old 01-19-2010, 04:52 PM

It was the fuel pump, but now the gas gauge isn't reading at all I'm guessing that the float isn't sitting right, but i mean the thing could only go in one way, so i dunno if that's the problem. Can the float actually go in wrong?