3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Intake fixes, boost power?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:05 PM

This is a JWT with a homebuilt heatshield....I really like the plastic piping it acts as a heat insulator compared to an aluminum intake piping....

Old 04-30-2010, 11:24 AM

yeah aluminum absorbs heat more than most materials, plastic is a better way to go and if you really wanted to you could even wrap it, though it wouldn't be pretty it would further insulate. Looks like a pretty clean install, even have the gasket for the hood, over all I like it. Do you have a scoop in the hood to get air in that box or is the opening between the fender and the home made box to allow air through behind the headlight housing? Ideally if you finished both sides to seal the box off from engine bay air and had a functional scoop in the hood would be great. Only other thing I would say would be ideal if making your own would be less bends from the intake manifold to the filter. Overall you have my approval.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM

this is how i did my intake

its all plastic and im workin on a heatshield tryed to make the bends as smooth as possible and bought a filter that had a funnel built in to try to get the maximum from the intake keeping the intake a little long will help with the torque in the lower rpms and we know these cars need that shorting the intake will help with engine response and shift the torque curve till later in the rpm

my vent in the making in the hood

need to clean it up but i did it quickly cause i like to

Last edited by RotaryHead; 04-30-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
This is a JWT with a homebuilt heatshield....I really like the plastic piping it acts as a heat insulator compared to an aluminum intake piping....

Not to bad looking but does it produce or get better throttle response 4 you? I would think you might of wanted to place where you can get some
outside air, maybe in fender or below driver side headlight. Anyway it
still looks pretty kool.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:34 PM

The thing is... You want condensed air to come into your intake to gain power. If the air is colder, it is more dense. If the air is hotter, it will expand.

Air that is inside the engine bay is

A. Hot. put your hand on your valve cover/intake after running the car, it acts as a heater.

B. The air in your engine bay is already expanded from the running motor/moving parts and the fact that the air is trapped under the hood.

I am not an engineer but these are all things I have read/heard from engineers. Having a cone under the hood will sound nice, may produce better flow into the intake, but the temp/denseness of the air is bassakwards of what you want.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM

yes it is but the benifets are still there thats why theres heat shields and cold air ducts the hot air is already hot when its being sucked up so its already expanded thats why you take steps to insure you get cooler air and you keep that air charge cooled for every 11 degres you make your intake air temps cooler you gain bout 1 hp
Old 05-04-2010, 02:46 AM

I've been toying with putting a scoop on my hood for awhile now but worried with the UK weather of the filter becoming soaked
Old 05-04-2010, 05:03 AM

unless you have high compression a little water aint ganna hurt
Old 05-04-2010, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
Not to bad looking but does it produce or get better throttle response 4 you? I would think you might of wanted to place where you can get some
outside air, maybe in fender or below driver side headlight. Anyway it
still looks pretty kool.
Yeah there plenty of ram air coming from the radiator inlet up under the drivers headlight.....that area is cool and yeah I have great throttle response....after driving that entire area is cool, great for my ignition box and intake charge.....

Last edited by CMax03; 05-04-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by RotaryHead
unless you have high compression a little water aint ganna hurt
We can get more than a little water during the winter over here
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by nickdoof
The thing is... You want condensed air to come into your intake to gain power. If the air is colder, it is more dense. If the air is hotter, it will expand.

Air that is inside the engine bay is

A. Hot. put your hand on your valve cover/intake after running the car, it acts as a heater.

B. The air in your engine bay is already expanded from the running motor/moving parts and the fact that the air is trapped under the hood.

I am not an engineer but these are all things I have read/heard from engineers. Having a cone under the hood will sound nice, may produce better flow into the intake, but the temp/denseness of the air is bassakwards of what you want.
you are in the right frame of mind and thought process, here's a few more variables to add to those equations. A cone filter in the engine bay will still draw more hot (expanded) air through it than a restricted amount of cold (condensed) air. Meaning sucking cold air through a straw is better than hot air through a straw, but cold air through a straw still won't equal the hot air through a hose.

Thinking condensed and expanded is great, it allows you to understand that the air once through the throttle body expands creating more air, so the colder the air leading up to the point is the more air once expanded. Ideally outside air is what you want, but a lot of people don't want to cut too much or even show that they have mods. By making a box that is able to be insulated from the engine bay heat, and sealed around the edge you essentially block off that hot air. Now you need to find a way to get cold outside air into that box and you will get much better results. If you use that silver insulation on the side of the box and a gasket around top and bottom of your box, then have a inlet of some sort to allow cold air you'll get great results.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM

Everything to the left of the heatshield is hot as hell, everything to the right is cool to the touch.....I've tested this even after seating in bumper to bumper traffic!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 PM

that's why I like your general set up, you have a heat shield to help with that, you only open it where cooler air is coming through, and you used a gasket to seal the top. Granted could be sealed off more and letting only outside air in, but it still does a good job of it due to that heat shield. the air can even heat some, though not much as the engine is sucking it through, in the piping, the less bends the faster it moves and the less time it has to expand before the intake. I know you used plastic instead of aluminum to help prevent it heating up there, which is great too, could even use header wrap it you wanted to go extreme on it. Like I said before, generally I like yours, could there be some improvements? Of course, as is the case with most everything, even professionally made, but that still uses a larger majority of potential than most I've seen on here.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:07 AM

I agree with you both, THAT particular set up is pretty clean. Like you said Rich, it could be improved by air being directed in, but the fact that it is sealed off like it is makes for a pretty nice intake.

I was mainly referring to people who take off the stock intake box and fit a cone filter RIGHT there were the panel filter sat originally. Either way, for being a custom job that particular intake is pretty clean sirs
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 AM

Water can't ever get there unless it at the top of the fenders! The air joggles under the drivers headlight which will separate the water and the air! Same source as the factory inlet scoop but larger now!