3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
So we've narrowed it down to there being AIR, and FUEL, just simply no SPARK... is that correct?
and fuel pump wont turn on. and computer lights wont turn on
Old 07-12-2010, 05:38 PM

I got a numbers matching ECU, pluged it in, aand nothing. at all. still same problem. and i put in a new coil. And all fuses are good. i really need some help
Old 07-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

...just out of the blue..crank shaft position sensor not plugged in?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by robsterzallan`
I got a numbers matching ECU, pluged it in, aand nothing. at all. still same problem. and i put in a new coil. And all fuses are good. i really need some help
In the FSM there is an ECU connection diagram with pin functions - you gonna hev to get to grips with that and actually measure on the ECU plug if battery power is reaching the animal
Old 07-12-2010, 08:23 PM

Yes its pluged in. would that cause nothing to work? because i tested for power to it when the key was on and it tested no power. my manual tells me with the wires i tested and the key on i should get 12 V. But, if the computers not getting power, nothing else will either right? so im thinking a relay for the computer blew. i dont know how it happened or how to test them, sound about right?
Old 07-12-2010, 09:50 PM
LvR

Yes its pluged in. would that cause nothing to work? because i tested for power to it when the key was on and it tested no power. my manual tells me with the wires i tested and the key on i should get 12 V. But, if the computers not getting power, nothing else will either right? so im thinking a relay for the computer blew. i dont know how it happened or how to test them, sound about right?
Which makes me wonder why exactly you swapped the ECUs then? ..................... if the manual tells you where to expect 12V and you don't find it there, then changing the ECU will surely not make a difference?

If you have a specific 12V pin on the ECU where you don't find the expected 12V, then either a fuse is blown, plug/socket unplugged somewhere or a wire/cable is broken and unfortunately there is no easy way to solve this - you check and make sure the FSM's diagram is traced and you check each of those wires individually till you get to the brake in the 12V source ..................... to try and trace it from here is virtually impossible because there are 10s of connections/sockets etc involved

In my experience the FSM has more than enough detail for somebody with a simple multimeter and some time to be able to trace each and every wire and connection - imo if you feel you cannot progress any further, a sparky is the obvious answer unfortunately
Old 07-13-2010, 12:48 AM

Nice 4" system....check for 12 volts @ the coil.....if none check out the transistorized IC ignition unit along with the ignition relay and accessory relay! Check for power @ the fuel pump relay as well!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 AM

I bought the computer before i tested power to the cam angle sensor, not the computer. I dont know how to find and cant find the power wire for the computer, but im thinking that its a relay, cause i checked all fuses. and i dont know how to test relays... i have no other idea of what it could be, that would just stop working some day.??????
Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Chances are(good chance)....this issue is directly related to the exhaust work you just done in the car....Go back over ALL the areas THOROUGHLY you worked on...Check every single harness connector you see..check the oil pressure sending unit harness/wiring at the oil filter area..Basically, go back over the entire car..take your time looking...You'd be surprised at what you can mess up/break and not even realize you done it...

check your timing belt...remove the dizzy cap...have someone turn the car over, while you look at the rotor button, if it spins....your belt has not broken...
Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 AM

honestly nothing i did to the exhaust could cause this. The only thing i even touched was the O2 sensor, and it wouldent cause this problem. And the oil sensor isent near where i was working, or any other sensor that could cause this to do all of this. does anyone know how to test relays? or what are some things that would cause this?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM

Hey kid, what happened? Any luck getting her going, did you try any of our suggestions? Also he said he checked everything so that led some to believe ECU was dead and he also stated that he did nothing relating to this exhaust 4" pipe that caused issue. Just follow ECU wiring all the way threw, you might have to move things around. Definately go back and recheck your work, it has to be related if you didn't fry ECU or both.

Last edited by shiloh51933; 07-13-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Greeny
Chances are(good chance)....this issue is directly related to the exhaust work you just done in the car....Go back over ALL the areas THOROUGHLY you worked on...Check every single harness connector you see..check the oil pressure sending unit harness/wiring at the oil filter area..Basically, go back over the entire car..take your time looking...You'd be surprised at what you can mess up/break and not even realize you done it...

check your timing belt...remove the dizzy cap...have someone turn the car over, while you look at the rotor button, if it spins....your belt has not broken...

honestly nothing i did to the exhaust could cause this. The only thing i even touched was the O2 sensor, and it wouldent cause this problem. And the oil sensor isent near where i was working, or any other sensor that could cause this to do all of this. does anyone know how to test relays? or what are some things that would cause this?
Seriously? You would be surprised of all the damage you could to without realizing it... I've done things on the car where you accidentally unplug an already rotted harness or halfway loose connection while working on something else and it ends up causing the car not to start.

There are only so many things that could cause fuel delivery to stop...
-Crank/cam sensor (not sure if the VG has both but those could definitely cause that
-bad fuel pump fuse (which in this case you say is good)
-bad fuel pump relays (pick up a free handful of them at the JY and swap em out for testing)
-bad fuel pump
-ECU (which you have already swapped unless new one is also bad)
-You aint got no gas or there aint no gas in it (pardon the double negatives)

Nevertheless, I think you should at least go over your work ONE more time carefully and inspect, whether you feel you broke something or not. All the troubleshooting you've done so far and non of it has been the cause so there's gotta be some other miscellaneous issue that could've been "provoked" by you unintentionally.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

o2 sensor shorting out can cause ecu problems (ask me how I know. okay, don't, since you should have figured it out)
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
o2 sensor shorting out can cause ecu problems (ask me how I know. okay, don't, since you should have figured it out)
How do you know, Ben?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM

This will help, I went threw my fuses, my engine control fuse was blown. So i put a new one in, i turned the car on, fuel pump went on, so did ECU. but after 2 seconds i hear pop, and it all goes out again.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sounds like you have a positive short to ground somewhere...you may have pinched a wire somewhere in your work...Again...go back over the whole work area/engine bay very carefully..even if you are sure in your mind that you didn't do anything wrong...chances are you did...we all have at one point or another..
Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM

Yup something definitely shorting somewhere...did you go over your work yet?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
How do you know, Ben?
read below...
This will help, I went threw my fuses, my engine control fuse was blown. So i put a new one in, i turned the car on, fuel pump went on, so did ECU. but after 2 seconds i hear pop, and it all goes out again.
now, rob. who installed the o2 sensor? was it unplugged as it was removed/reinstalled?
my milk money is on "no"
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

If the o2 is shorted internally, unplugging it will solve the problem...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM

no i unscrewed the O2 sensor and let it hang and screwed it back in, ill unplug it and try to start it. But my wiring says that fuse goes to, ignition relay, ECU, Lights, Ect. it dont say O2 sensor. but ill try it and get back to you.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Alright, i unpluged the O2 sensor and the fuse dident blow and it started. so im gonna take out the O2 sensor and run new wires threw it and then test to see if its still good yet. is there suposed to be 2 plygs for it? there was one plug and it had 3 wires, and another plug that had only 1. is that one the ground?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 PM

Hate to say it but see.... it was something you did somehow unintentionally! Perhaps you pinched the cable while unscrewing it or the sensor got yanked while hanging
Old 07-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

o2 goes to the ecu. shorts out, ecu freaks, blows fuse.

I only recall one connector for the o2 sensor, though...
Old 07-13-2010, 08:31 PM

I think the extra plug was a second ground, because it spliced into the ground. but i took the O2 sensor out, ran all new wires, and while it was out i put a O2 sensor pulse chip in the wiring. But its fixed. Thanks every one for your help!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

"chips"

Old 07-14-2010, 10:26 AM

I thought all the fuses were checked, atleast now you have something to go on, good wrenching!!