3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can spring installation be a DIY job?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 09:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can spring installation be a DIY job?

I got an installed price of $350 for Eibach springs on my 91GXE.

Supposedly this car is really difficult to do springs on since if I supply my own springs, the install by itself would be about $200.

Has anyone done this themselves? How bad is it?

Jim
Old 12-13-2001, 10:15 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Can spring installation be a DIY job?

Originally posted by JJW95SC

Supposedly this car is really difficult to do springs on since if I supply my own springs, the install by itself would be about $200.

Jim
been there done that. it's not really bad. but when you take the compressor off they will be a small bit of tension left on the springs. the usual garage compressors are too short. but all in all it's a little bit more work than a strut swap..but that's it.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:04 AM

I installed my on intrax spring and it was really easy no problems at all i just used a service manual and spring compressors and there was no tensions that i witnessed it all worked great!!!
Old 12-13-2001, 11:13 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by nstymax93
I installed my on intrax spring and it was really easy no problems at all i just used a service manual and spring compressors and there was no tensions that i witnessed it all worked great!!!
if it works for u then go for it.
Old 12-13-2001, 11:15 AM

Depends on how much time you have to kill and what its worth to you. I've done springs/struts on 4 or 5 maximas now. I can't imagine doing the job w/ out air tools though as it makes it quite a bit easier to get some of the rear suspension bolts loose. The Eibachs are quite a bit shorter than stock springs and don't take as much compression to put on. The hardest part for me the first time was getting the gland packing nut loose from the top of the strut carrier in the rear. The solution is to use a heavy duty bench mounted vice and someone to help stablized it while you crank the nut loose with a large pipe wrench. Other than that.. the fronts are the easiest by far! Like I said.. depends on what the time/effort is worth to you but it can be DIY for mechanically competent folks with the right tools.

Jim
Old 12-13-2001, 11:21 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Knowledge is power, folks!!
Old 12-19-2001, 01:34 PM

Re: Re: Can spring installation be a DIY job?

Originally posted by justinmc
The hardest part for me the first time was getting the gland packing nut loose from the top of the strut carrier in the rear. The solution is to use a heavy duty bench mounted vice and someone to help stablized it while you crank the nut loose with a large pipe wrench.
I agree that an impact wrench helps a lot. I wouldn't do it w/o cuz it's a pain especially compressing the compressor.
as for that top thingy, this's how I did it. Lay the assembly on it's side. Use a screwdriver and place it between 2 of the mounting lugs. The handle of the screwdriver will be sticking out (think of a percent sign % with a very long slash). The sticking out handle is what keeps the whole thing from moving around. Handle is on the floor. You'll hafta mess w/it until u get what I mean. Then I took some channel lock pliers (1.5ft in length) and got them off.

If you don't like either of our ideas, just take it off while the assembly is still mounted on your car. Use a large plier and grab while you're in the cabin (u know u hafta remove the rear seat right?).
Jay
Old 12-19-2001, 02:28 PM
STFU n00b!

best way to remove those bolts is to break them loose while the suspension is still on the car, then they'll simply unscrew once you get everything else ready. removing them on the car is an easy way to get your head knocked off by a flying spring.

As for the entire job, it's a simply DIY if you've got spring compressors. not much more complicated than an S/C install.
(actually, it's one of the first mods I did to my car. Kaleb helped me, but I've done it on half a dozen cars myself since then. I can even do it in complete darkness if need be. (I started one night this summer about 8pm, and we lost electric power about 9:30, so I had to do the rear struts in pitch black darkness. fun!
Old 12-19-2001, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
[B]best way to remove those bolts is to break them loose while the suspension is still on the car, then they'll simply unscrew once you get everything else ready. removing them on the car is an easy way to get your head knocked off by a flying spring.

As for the entire job, it's a simply DIY if you've got spring compressors. not much more complicated than an S/C install.
(actually, it's one of the first mods I did to my car. Kaleb helped me, but I've done it on half a dozen cars myself since then. I can even do it in complete darkness if need be. (I started one night this summer about 8pm, and we lost electric power about 9:30, so I had to do the rear struts in pitch black darkness. fun! [B]
haha that sucks doing the rear on our cars sux.. it took me a million times as long to do the rear. my bro and i did the front in like 20 mins
Old 12-19-2001, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
removing them on the car is an easy way to get your head knocked off by a flying spring.
sorry i wasn't clear. there's 2 thingys on top of the rear struts right? A huge one and beneath that another regular sized nut. I was refering to removing the large nut cuz the one right below it will still hold the spring in place.
I didn't think the rears were that hard. Only diff is removing the rear seat but even that just takes a few min...10 at most. Don't hafta take it out. And u don't hafta take the rear deck out either. Oh, 1 more diff: gotta unbolt the rsb, but that's easy too. Other than that, it's not any harder than the fronts.
However, please be careful!!! I don't wanna hear about missing fingers or anything, ok? Springs are dangerous. My dad broke 4 fingers cuz a spring flew out. On his left hand, his middle, ring, and pinky fingers have pins in them so he can't move them. This's serious stuff, so take your time and dbl check everything.
Jay
Old 12-19-2001, 10:06 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Jim

congrats jim when are you planning to get the install done? where are you in jersey...i could help if ya want...
Old 12-19-2001, 10:59 PM

Re: Re: Can spring installation be a DIY job?

Originally posted by DanNY

been there done that. it's not really bad. but when you take the compressor off they will be a small bit of tension left on the springs. the usual garage compressors are too short. but all in all it's a little bit more work than a strut swap..but that's it.
Very dangerous task you are setting out to do. Seek professional help or have someone else do it. I've seen a spring come out of a compressor, fly across 4 bays in a garage, and almost take my buddy's head off. Get some help to be safe, but you CAN do it! Good luck!