3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Who's Interested in a 3rd Gen Cattman 2.5" Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:43 AM
Blown

so is a tubing kit, just some bends that have to be welded together? If that is the case I don't want it. I would be interested in a bolt on 2.5" set up that sounds nice, if the price is not too high. There are probably only a handful of people here that are willing to spend half the value of their car on an exhaust. Find out a price and then you can see who is serious.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I'd be interested in either. Just the tubing is fine with me as I can weld it up and hang it myself. But for just the tubing I wouldn't really be willing to pay an arm and a leg. I wouldn't want to pay more than $150 or so for just tubing

*edit* looking through their tubing kits for various models it looks like they're all $120

I would most definitely be down for a tubing kit for $120. Then I could add my own non-ricey muffler and resonator

Last edited by James92SE; 10-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

don't want to **** on anyone's parade...but...
I called up Dallas at WSP and he said he'll do an mild steel (alum coating) mandrel 2.5 cat back for 300-350 depending on your choice of muffler. this is a resonated b-pipe and a magnaflow muffler. Single tip and dual tips are available to your liking.

if the price is an issue he can throw on knock off resonator and muffler that looks like the magnaflow w/o the advertisement to get the prices down.

no min required.

let me know if this perks your interest. WSP has the jig so there's no set up fee, no testing, and no min required.

Dan
Old 10-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
I called up Dallas at WSP and he said he'll do an mild steel (alum coating) mandrel 2.5 cat back for 300-350 depending on your choice of muffler. this is a resonated b-pipe and a magnaflow muffler. Single tip and dual tips are available to your liking.

if the price is an issue he can throw on knock off resonator and muffler that looks like the magnaflow w/o the advertisement to get the prices down.

no min required.

let me know if this perks your interest. WSP has the jig so there's no set up fee, no testing, and no min required.

Dan
Will he sell just the piping and knock off resonator?

Ask him to sell me some y-pipe flanges. He never got back to me
Old 10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Banned

Need to get on a computer to post pictures i took of the muffler before i installed it. Also when i get time I'll measure it. It's oval not round.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
what's this cost? biggest thing holding most of us back.
Well with a liitle bit of reading on their website all single catbacks seem to run for $120, 5 ppl is the magic # for the aluminized tubing (which is good for me) nothing else.....

Originally Posted by cardana24
so is a tubing kit, just some bends that have to be welded together? If that is the case I don't want it. I would be interested in a bolt on 2.5" set up that sounds nice, if the price is not too high. There are probably only a handful of people here that are willing to spend half the value of their car on an exhaust. Find out a price and then you can see who is serious.
If you want a full bolt on then we (you) need to have 20 ppl....The full aluminized bolt-ons seem to run $255-$275 on their website!

Originally Posted by James92SE
I'd be interested in either. Just the tubing is fine with me as I can weld it up and hang it myself. But for just the tubing I wouldn't really be willing to pay an arm and a leg. I wouldn't want to pay more than $150 or so for just tubing

*edit* looking through their tubing kits for various models it looks like they're all $120

I would most definitely be down for a tubing kit for $120. Then I could add my own non-ricey muffler and resonator
those are my exact plans! $120 does seem to be the tubing only cost.....With my resonator, muffler, and tip plus the tubing I'm at $342

no min required.

Dan
Have your boy post some pics of the dual tip muffler, I'm sure it has more than a 3.5" on center spacing of the tips (undesireably Fugly)! I'm cool with this...Danny! I'm just trying to get some tubing on the market for all the EL CHEAPOS out there! So when you order catback it's there in no time?....Can WSP offer that service less than a week? Once these guys get feedback from the 2.5" guys and 3" FI guys, The T304 systems are next, if 20 or more are interested they'll pump out a full bolt on system! I like big mufflers and resonators and I'd prefer to order just tubing....that makes installing it pretty damn easy....My muffler shop said $95 to fit and weld up! I'll probably do a 3 piece system like Cattman except with slip fit/ band clamps, so I can work on my car and remove it if needed.

Last edited by CMax03; 10-06-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
Need to get on a computer to post pictures i took of the muffler before i installed it. Also when i get time I'll measure it. It's oval not round.
Take a pic with a phone if you need too....thx in advance!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

Will do or if i can get it posted on my image hosting site ill type out the url code to get it posted.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by CMax03
Have your boy post some pics of the dual tip muffler, I'm sure it has more than a 3.5" on center spacing of the tips (undesireably Fugly)! I'm cool with this...Danny! I'm just trying to get some tubing on the market for all the EL CHEAPOS out there! So when you order catback it's there in no time?....Can WSP offer that service less than a week? Once these guys get feedback from the 2.5" guys and 3" FI guys, The T304 systems are next, if 20 or more are interested they'll pump out a full bolt on system! I like big mufflers and resonators and I'd prefer to order just tubing....that makes installing it pretty damn easy....My muffler shop said $95 to fit and weld up! I'll probably do a 3 piece system like Cattman except with slip fit/ band clamps, so I can work on my car and remove it if needed.
i'll get pics from him.
at the end of the day it's what's sticking out the back right?
C-didn't want to throw out any of your work but competition is always nice in a small market like us.

yeah if you want it, Dallas will make it right away and box it out and ship it. it's no sweat for him since he said the jig is ready. you want it w/o the muffler AND resonator? so basically just the b-pipe? i can ask him pricing on that too if you like.

BTW he's not "my boy"...he's Dallas from WSP....just like Brian Catts is not "your boy"...unless you're in AZ and is buddy buddy with him. these are vendors that we worked with in the past.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Banned

Here are the pics that where asked for. Hayame DTX 2.25" inlet twin 3" outlet tips European angled up. Even posted a pic of how it looks on my TK3 VE5

Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM

Nice, so the outlets are actually on the lower end of the case. But is the inlet on the upper side of the case? Can't really tell definitively from the pics but it looks like it is.

Found it for sale here. Too bad it's so expensive!

http://www.phantasmusa.com/hay101019.html

I think I like the style of this one better but it's obvious from the pics it's not high inlet/low outlet like we need

http://www.phantasmusa.com/hay101018.html
Old 10-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Banned

Inlet is on the top on the inlet side and on bottom on outlet side. I have a friend in Washington that can drive over to a performance shop in Lakewood WA that has many on hand.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

My best friend in Lakewood WA is gonna go find out how much for each muffler a piece and in quantity buy. Since he also owes me one as the two in the pics are both mine but let him use one when he ripped his del sol muffler off by accident while driving.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned

My best friend in Lakewood WA is gonna go find out how much for each muffler a piece and in quantity buy. Since he also owes me one as the two in the pics are both mine but let him use one when he ripped his del sol muffler off by accident while driving.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:32 PM

i'll get pics from him.
at the end of the day it's what's sticking out the back right?
C-didn't want to throw out any of your work but competition is always nice in a small market like us.

yeah if you want it, Dallas will make it right away and box it out and ship it. it's no sweat for him since he said the jig is ready. you want it w/o the muffler AND resonator? so basically just the b-pipe? i can ask him pricing on that too if you like.

BTW he's not "my boy"...he's Dallas from WSP....just like Brian Catts is not "your boy"...unless you're in AZ and is buddy buddy with him. these are vendors that we worked with in the past.
It's a form of expression please relax....I know who they both are.....
Old 10-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Looks ok but DTM isn't my style, nor is the 14" body......thanks for the pics, someone hopefully will be interested in your muffler.....mine is only a single in/out but it's 5"x11"x22" and it should be quiet/stealthy like I like it......
Old 10-07-2010, 07:43 PM

MES 2.5" and 3" aluminized "tube only" catback sign up Approx $120:

1.CMax03
Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

MES 2.5" and 3" aluminized "tube only" catback sign up Approx $120:

1.CMax03
if WSP can match/beat that price for a B-pipe (no resonator) would you be interested in that also or are you set on MES?
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Meh doesn't effect me the muffler isn't loud and annoying like hondas. It sounds deep and more throaty like american tone exhaust. Been running Hayame for eight years now that is why i stick with it. Sufficient flow and a good sound. Maybe one day when i go down to Dallas I'll visit James and he can hear it. Just finishing replacing alot of suspension parts. And replacing parts that would soon go out. Most of my suspension is now life time warranty. Aside from hubs, wheel bearings, rotors, and 4th gen energy suspension bushings.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:35 PM

if WSP can match/beat that price for a B-pipe (no resonator) would you be interested in that also or are you set on MES?
I would! If the through in some y-pipe flanges that is
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 PM

Maybe,...I'm just trying to get some inexpensive bolt-on started but we have to start crawling b4 we walk.... Regarding WSP are they gonna offer a 3" catback line? What brand and what size resonator are they using? Is this a flanged or slip fit system?
If the 5 ppl get the M.E.S. aluminized tubing kit the T304 kit is next.....
I would like to see (pics) of Dallas' choice of muffler, resonator....but if he can match $120 for a catback tubing kit I'm game!

Last edited by CMax03; 10-07-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok then let's keep it easy. i'll ask Dallas for just b pipe (non resonated) - 2.5. that's the cheapest they come.

then you can pick your own muffler and your own resonator if needed...but you do that on your own.
thoughts on that?

is there a real market for 3"?? REALLY?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Maybe,...I'm just trying to get some inexpensive bolt-on started but we have to start crawling b4 we walk.... Regarding WSP are they gonna offer a 3" catback line? What brand and what size resonator are they using? Is this a flanged or slip fit system?
If the 5 ppl get the M.E.S. aluminized tubing kit the T304 kit is next.....
I would like to see (pics) of Dallas' choice of muffler, resonator....but if he can match $120 for a catback tubing kit I'm game!
he uses magnaflow...but can get cheaper knock offs if requested.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:57 AM

His resonator/ magnaflow does have a flanges.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

You can always get a 4th or 5thgen catback like I did and just modify/weld in whatever piping/tubing you need to make it work. I know it easier to just get bolt on parts but I'm very happy with my set up. Yes it can get pricey if you can't weld or know somebody who does but it's most def worth seeing/hearing/feeling the end results.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:41 PM

Do you have any pics of just how much you had to modify the 4th gen catback?

I mean, was it something simple like just welding in some extra straight pipe? If you had to change any bends, etc. it almost wouldn't be worth it to me personally.

I think the 3rd gen b-pipe section only has a couple of bends. If I had to redo bends on a 4th gen unit, might as well just make my own from scratch with mandrel bends from Summit or Jegs
Old 10-08-2010, 12:55 PM

ok then let's keep it easy. i'll ask Dallas for just b pipe (non resonated) - 2.5. that's the cheapest they come.

then you can pick your own muffler and your own resonator if needed...but you do that on your own.
thoughts on that? is there a real market for 3"?? REALLY?
Sure!!!!!!!..... we have a constant progression of folks turbocharging this platform, so yes I see a need! You don't know any turbo'd 3rd gens?????

My thoughts are ok with it! I'll just take the road i was on originally, B4 I stumbled across MES (New Blood) for progress with our 3rd gen Maximas....I'll pay an extra $40 for a T409 SS mandrel bend kit and keep on down the road, for yrs no rusting nor heavy corrosion....I was really giving the 3rd gen crowd the benefit of doubt and not listening to those that stated how cheap and non supportive the 3rd gen Maxima crowd is....and yall proved me wrong!!!! I was just thinking positively! But now I/we know the truth!

Last edited by CMax03; 10-08-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:05 PM

LOCK IT WE'RE THRU HERE; FINAL THOUGHTS:
http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...s%20commercial
Old 10-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Banned

Lmfao seriously you should of know most these guys are cheap cuz the parts would come out to be more value then what it cost to buy the car. I've just put on $1,000 in just suspension parts if not alittle more. Then still need tiresall around four wheel alignment. Which will probably almost total up to what i put in to buy this TK3 in 2006. paid $2,000 cash. Next up building my spare VE30DE for turbo. Unlike most im willing to invest money in my Maxima SE.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM

Why do we have to lock it?

Dan isn't being counterproductive, just pointing out an option that's basically been there the whole time

Doesn't mean another company can't/won't produce something for us.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Banned

cmax sometimes you have to just go down the road alone get it done and show them the finished product. Its just like people running on and on bout boosting there maxima for cheap or doing an engine swap. Only way to prove a point is shut up and just do it by yourself.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Do you have any pics of just how much you had to modify the 4th gen catback?

I mean, was it something simple like just welding in some extra straight pipe? If you had to change any bends, etc. it almost wouldn't be worth it to me personally.

I think the 3rd gen b-pipe section only has a couple of bends. If I had to redo bends on a 4th gen unit, might as well just make my own from scratch with mandrel bends from Summit or Jegs
I don't think I posted any pics of the welds but I'll explain as quickly/best I can. I was able to use the resonator pipe almost the way it came except were the flanges meet up at the cat. I cut a couple of inches back from the flange on the res pipe, then add a small piece of tubing to weld the res pipe back to the res flange piece that was cut off. The problem with the res pipe was not lenght or the first 90 degree bend but that the flange needed to be turned about 20degrees so the other end of the res pipe wouldn't end up in the dirt/ground. The catback came with an intermediate pipe between the res pipe and the muffler inlet piece, so what I did was cut the flanges off that intermediate pipe to use with an aftermarket pipe that you can just weld together as long as you use a 2.5 inch AM pipe. The problem with the intermediate pipe was that it was angled up to high over the rear sway bar to get back down under the rear. So now if I ever need to take the cat back off for some reason I still can in 2 pieces still. Same goes for the CES front/y-pipe and my Magna flow high flow cat. Everything was bolted together with high quality flange gaskets/high temp red silicone for a good tight seal but I can still take apart in pieces. I'm really feeling the set up for a single side exhaust but I might get a Borla muffler next summer, I'll see how this CM muffler holds up. Considering what I paid for CM's catback and about 75 more bones in piping, 30 for gaskets, I think around 50 for a plug n' play KEM O2 sensor plus another like 250 for the y-pipe and cat I did alright. Of course you'll always save a ton when you do the labor yourself. I have to admit that I am interested to see/hear what Warpspeed's catback will be like. Originally I was going to order everything from them, front pipe to muffler but they didn't have the pacesetter's no more and I didn't want to wait. Dallas had told me that eventually they were going to start producing there own 3rdgen catbacks and I guess there doing it now.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:15 PM

i'm still down for a 3" exhaust for when i get boosted.

can anyone provide cliffs on the last ~15 posts? lol
Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by elusivemax93
cmax sometimes you have to just go down the road alone get it done and show them the finished product. Its just like people running on and on bout boosting there maxima for cheap or doing an engine swap. Only way to prove a point is shut up and just do it by yourself.
Just frustrated that's all! Its seemed like maybe we were gonna get our five ppl....so don't worry I tried not being selfish, but it seems my original plan will be my route.....That will be with T409 SS.....I'll read along with yall but since we couldn't get five (5) lonely souls....I'll be building a customized catback for performance and quality of sound....
Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 PM

so no moar group deal? if not im going to get a custom exhaust before the snow hits
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Banned

For those who are fortunate to be able to weld your own together don't go cheap and buy pipe bender piping instead spend that extra bit to buy mandrel bent piping. I've been there before with having a shop install pipe bent exhaust. Not gonna do that again rather much get an equal flowing exhaust.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
so no moar group deal? if not im going to get a custom exhaust before the snow hits
U and Me seems to be it....I'll be in for it but I'll still make some progress on my previous plans to gather all my components! Just finished working on a ES300 project....The group is deal is 5 ppl @ $120 ea, there's no lower price than that! We just need 5 serious orgers or private ppl! 3 more to go for a 2.5" catback (mandrel bent tubing only kit)! It cant' get any cheaper than this folks!
Old 10-09-2010, 06:06 PM

U and Me seems to be it....I'll be in for it but I'll still make some progress on my previous plans to gather all my components! Just finished working on a ES300 project....The group is deal is 5 ppl @ $120 ea, there's no lower price than that! We just need 5 serious orgers or private ppl! 3 more to go for a 2.5" catback (mandrel bent tubing only kit)! It cant' get any cheaper than this folks!
$120 is cheap, shipped to me shouldnt be too much. im not good with exhausts, so its just tubing and you add your own muffler/can correct? and the rest is bolt on? can you use 2.5" with boost?

im personally shocked we cant get 5 people, i would expect more would be interested
Old 10-09-2010, 07:29 PM

We can get 5 people. I'm down.

Dan was just pointing out there's no need to do this as WSP already makes/can make what we need..

Doesn't mean we can't also go through MES. Cmax kind of called it off early/for no reason
Old 10-09-2010, 09:26 PM

So far theres 3 down with the idea.
1.Cmax03
2.Chrome91
3.James92SE

You just need two more. Yes Warp Speed makes it but its not for $120. If you want cheap then go MES. If you got extra paper then go Warp Speed. I say others should jump on this b/c at this point in the game how many after market companies are willing to invest time & effort in 3rd gen Maximas and not charge an arm and a leg?

If getting it welded is an issue for you to get then do what I did and get it slip fit. I have no leaks what so ever and if I decide to change it up later I just slip the old off and slide on the new.

Quick Reply: Who's Interested in a 3rd Gen Cattman 2.5" Catback?