3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

hit a curb need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:28 PM

hit a curb need help

i hit a curb in the snowstorm we had yesterday at about 10mph now the wheel is kicked in at the bottom and toe out some. i replaced the ball joint but that wasn't it, i would like some feedback on what i could be. i think the lower control arm is bent down near the steering stop.

sorry the pics are so big.

Last edited by max_overdrive; 02-14-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by max_overdrive
i hit a curb in the snowstorm we had yesterday at about 10mph now the wheel is kicked in at the bottom and toe out some. i replaced the ball joint but that wasn't it, i would like some feedback on what i could be. i think the lower control arm is bent down near the steering stop.

sorry the pics are so big.
is the other side ok? .... does the rack n pinion turn ok with out noise? if it does its damaged and needs replacement.. if everything seems fine then u ill have to just adjust your toe but unscrewing out the ball joint till its right straight again... but mu guess your rack n pinion its messed up...
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM

It's difficult to tell in the pics, but something might be bent or knocked out of place.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by max_overdrive
Sorry, but what am I missing here?

You know for a fact that you yourself cannot set wheel alignment properly - not by eye anyway and even with replacing every steering and suspension component ..................... so why are you replacing anything at all? - take the thing to an alignment facility and have them adjust it properly - if they cannot they will tell you what needs to be replaced.

What anybody may be suggesting here is a crap-shoot and waste of money
Old 02-16-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by arsonist63086
is the other side ok? .... does the rack n pinion turn ok with out noise? if it does its damaged and needs replacement.. if everything seems fine then u ill have to just adjust your toe but unscrewing out the ball joint till its right straight again... but mu guess your rack n pinion its messed up...
the other side is fine , and besides pulling it turns fine with no noise.

Originally Posted by LvR

You know for a fact that you yourself cannot set wheel alignment properly - not by eye anyway and even with replacing every steering and suspension component ..................... so why are you replacing anything at all? - take the thing to an alignment facility and have them adjust it properly - if they cannot they will tell you what needs to be replaced.

the only reason i replaced the ball joint is it looked like the paint had been chipped off,like it bent. im waiting to get payed to get a alignment.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by LvR

yes take it to an allignment shop and have them allign a wheel that is obviously out of position. Let them tell you the whole suspension needs replacing while your at it. huh? Now to give a sensible answer there is obviously something bent or out of position. I would jack it up and have a friend turn the wheel so I could see if anything looks broken or bent.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:53 AM
LvR

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
................ Now to give a sensible answer there is obviously something bent or out of position. I would jack it up and have a friend turn the wheel so I could see if anything looks broken or bent.
What an absolute novel approach ................. oh yes, and I guess once you are done just like the OP currently is by his own admission, you only then take it to the shop?
Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM

i played around with it today after changing 2 bad injectors (its nice to have this thing running at 100% finally) and the top camber bolt was way out of adjustment so i moved to back but my toe is still out. i tried to adjust the tierod end but it was seized so i will let the shop deal with it. but its at least drivable now.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:55 PM

Well I had something happen to me similar to the OP but my car spun out & hopped a curve. Needless to say hands were at 2 & 8 to go down the street straight.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:28 AM

This is a real easy one! If you can't visually see what is damaged take it in for an alignment......
Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM

i took it in today and $60 later all is normal. thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

alignment all the way