3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

The good dirt... reman. injectors and a life well lived

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM

The good dirt... reman. injectors and a life well lived

Hoping to hear some success stories from some of you who have purch./installed remanuf. fuel injectors for our 3rd gen cars. Feel free to recommend (or not) the company you used. Let's avoid the new vs. reman. debate. Now looking for the good dirt from those who took the risk (and possibly why you took it, or won't do it again, gulp).

Me: 1990 approaching 300K and needing paint (plus several other car purchases/projects), but in fine shape otherwise. Starting to accept the $ invested vs. common sense vs. the inevitable separation (sniff, sniff).
Old 06-03-2014, 04:25 PM

I have many success stories of going to the junk yard and getting used /recently replaced OEM injectors.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:46 PM

well, the trend here in Charlotte, NC is go to ALL the junkyards and tear up engines to get $15 per injector cores (and destroying as many useful components, [including hoods]) as possible). Are times really this tough?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:58 PM

problem is you cant technically rebuild injectors, some parts of the injector you can but others you cant. same with sending your injectors to be cleaned, personally i see little point in it

only 2 ways i see going about it is get all 6 new injectors, if cash is tight try to find a low mileage junkyard car and pray you can get some decent ones
Old 06-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
problem is you cant technically rebuild injectors, some parts of the injector you can but others you cant. same with sending your injectors to be cleaned, personally i see little point in it

only 2 ways i see going about it is get all 6 new injectors, if cash is tight try to find a low mileage junkyard car and pray you can get some decent ones
Given that our injectors are prone to failing electrically, this is more or less the case - they usually aren't clogging and in need of cleaning, they simply corrode away, unfortunately.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:03 PM

i would say its the case for all vehicles, by the time you remove the injectors and screw around with sending them to get cleaned, rebuilt and whatnot you could just spend a bit more for new injectors and be done with it
Old 06-05-2014, 07:39 AM
STFU n00b!

check electrical resistance of your injectors. If they're still in spec, just clean them with some BG 44K and see how that does. The BG stuff is the only injector cleaner I've seen work, and it's cleaned up injectors that were so gunked up that straight seafoam wouldn't do it..
Old 06-05-2014, 08:39 AM

Yep, it's usually an electrical (ohms) failure of these injectors. I've had one fail and bought a NEW one from a forum member for $10 (that won't happen again, I'm sure) and she's still going strong after 3 years. IF, I could find any in the bone yard I may chance it, but seems like every darn one has been taken. So just take your multimeter to the boneyard and check the ohms I suppose? Do I now add "change failing fuel injectors" to my oil change regimen? haha.

just was hoping for a success story of someone who bought reman. and got 2-3 more years out of their car before they failed. If I didn't stumble on a 103,000 '93 Camry, I wouldn't even hesitate to buy new inj. for the Maxima. Now she's mad at the 'other woman'.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 AM

Here is the link to the company I was considering going with (25 yrs experience doing this) http://www.gbreman.com/index.html

Their product is available for our cars through Rockauto: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...154&cc=1211308

Oh, and I agree... BG44K, although pricey (anybody have a cheap supply line to post?) is excellent stuff. Wouldn't it be funny if it's really just mineral spirits with a nice orange scent? (Goo Gone)
Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM

HEY! Found 6 'new' injectors on craigslist $200, said to fit Maxima, but they had red tops and were 'purchased' for a '95 Infinity J30 from Advance Auto. Strike 1, they will not fit 89-92 (possibly more) Maximas, I'm pretty sure. No receipt, no packaging, gal used to work a Advance Auto. Maybe these were a nice parting gift on her last day? Lemmeno if I should get all hot and bothered if these DO fit and they'd be an upgrade.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:44 AM
STFU n00b!

they're just 4th gen injectors. I don't know if 4th gen injectors were different than late 3rd gen (round plugs), but the plugs are easy enough to replace.. nissan sells them in singles as maintenance items and you can solder new plugs onto yours if that's the only difference.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:01 PM

The whole injector tip looks different from the pink ones fount in the VG engine. Sure it's just the plug part?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:07 AM
STFU n00b!

If it's a high impedance Nissan side feed injector, then they're the same thing. The tips of the injectors may look slightly different, but they're still the same. The only real issue is the flow rate- just need to make sure they're the same as the originals, otherwise you get to reprogram the ECU to account for the different flow rate. something the turbo guys do all the time..
Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM

Can you reprogram the stock ECU?
Old 06-09-2014, 01:09 PM
STFU n00b!

If you install a Nistune, yeah.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:57 AM

Been there done that! had my injectors cleaned and about 5000 miles later was running on 4 cyl....Rc engineering did mine and they failed (Electrically!!), Bought New injector for 93-94 VG and did an entire upgrade....But on my niece pathfinder I went thru Partsgeek and replaced hers with GB rebuilt units and she was still running well 2 yrs later then she sold the vehicle....Good luck!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:09 AM

GGGGGRRRR... just wrote a whole big response, complete with uploaded photos, got up to catch a call and had to log in AGAIN and lost everything! Now that I've calmed down, it's going to be a bit shorter this time.

Thank you guys for the great feedback. I was thinking GB, since they've been doing this many years might be worth the risk (coming up on 300K).

When you say you did the 'upgrade' to 93-94 VG injectors, did you put them in an earlier year car (89-92), or that you upgraded by doing all 6 new? Was thinking the two injectors were not interchangeable.

Turbo?! Now I'm dreaming....

here's photos of what I was being sold as fitting my '90 (no o-rings shown) and what I have currently. Not sure about side feed. Not into splicing connectors.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:56 AM

Just thought I'd update... Called an engineer at GB Remanufacturing, had a nice conversation about our 89-91 reman. injectors. They are identified by several sources as 'problem injectors' because of the choice of wire specified by Nissan to their OEM around the coil INSIDE the injector.

I know our outer connectors are prone to corrosion and always suspected with age, this problem was what cause electrical failure of our injectors. As far as fuel/clogging, they are not bad at all, but cleaning these injectors will not minimize potential failure, and the worst part.... GB acknowledges that they can clean, but not guarantee against winding/coil failure. BUT...

GB says that some (not all) of their injectors do get the inner coil/winding replaced, but there's no way to tell if the one(s) you purchase are these because they sell through so many retailers and don't document it. BUT...

If you can get your preferred retailer to call them, talk with an engineer there, it is possible that they can ship your retailer specific injectors with new coil/winding documented, if they have them built. So...

There's nothing really stopping a retailer from just pushing your order through with the stock on hand or the order from GB, I realize. But if you are fortunate enough to have a relationship with a good parts guy/retailer, it's nice to know that the engineers at GB are willing to chat and make a special effort.

Or... Buy NEW injectors (didn't somebody say that earlier?)
Old 06-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by gerg
GGGGGRRRR... just wrote a whole big response, complete with uploaded photos, got up to catch a call and had to log in AGAIN and lost everything! Now that I've calmed down, it's going to be a bit shorter this time.

Thank you guys for the great feedback. I was thinking GB, since they've been doing this many years might be worth the risk (coming up on 300K).

When you say you did the 'upgrade' to 93-94 VG injectors, did you put them in an earlier year car (89-92), or that you upgraded by doing all 6 new? Was thinking the two injectors were not interchangeable.

Turbo?! Now I'm dreaming....

here's photos of what I was being sold as fitting my '90 (no o-rings shown) and what I have currently. Not sure about side feed. Not into splicing connectors.

That's correct the 89-92 aren't interchangeable with the 93-94 Sohc injectors! But the 93-94 have the better connectors and are 1000% more reliable and easy to remove due to the better connectors....here's a thread I made if that's the route you want to take! I believe it's worth it!

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...onnectors.html