3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto Climate issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:24 PM

Auto Climate issue

So last friday my ACC unit display will not turn on and no AC. But once i turn on my lights, all the buttons light up but the display will not turn on and the same for AC. Its like the unit is dead. What powers the unit up?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:08 AM

The buttons lighting up when you turn on the headlights are just part of the dash lights, it has nothing to do with the workings of the heater-a/c control unit.

The first thing to do is check some fuses. There are 6 fuses total for the heat & a/c, some of which could not cause your problem, but let's check them anyway.

In the dash panel fuse box, check 3 fuses in the left column, all 10 amp. Counting down from the top, they are the 7th, 8th and 10th fuses. These are the most suspect.

In the right column of fuses, check 3 fuses. The fist 2 are 15 amp and the 3rd one is 10 amps. Count down from the top to the 4th, 5th and 10th fuses. Count any empty spaces as if there were a fuse there.

Other things that could cause the problem would be a wire harness connector coming off of the control unit or even the control unit being bad. We'll have to take it step by step.

Are you familiar with electrical troubleshooting and have a voltmeter?
Old 03-25-2015, 03:53 PM

I'm somewhat electrically inclined but I'm capable of learning. Now when this happened I first noticed my ABS light stayed on and then realized that my ACC wasn't turning on. I figured I had two separate issues as I thought I had a bad wheel speed sensor and something else with the AC? Then I found my car overheating and my electric fans never came on? Now I did check fuses and one on the lower left side of the fuse panel that was blown, replaced it and my fans came on, abs light turned off and ACC finally turned on. Now what might have caused the fuse to blow? I do have a multimeter but won't get it till this weekend from my parents house. So in the meantime, I will be car pooling.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
I'm somewhat electrically inclined but I'm capable of learning. Now when this happened I first noticed my ABS light stayed on and then realized that my ACC wasn't turning on. I figured I had two separate issues as I thought I had a bad wheel speed sensor and something else with the AC? Then I found my car overheating and my electric fans never came on? Now I did check fuses and one on the lower left side of the fuse panel that was blown, replaced it and my fans came on, abs light turned off and ACC finally turned on. Now what might have caused the fuse to blow? I do have a multimeter but won't get it till this weekend from my parents house. So in the meantime, I will be car pooling.
If you can identify what's off with that fuse pulled, it might help in the diagnosis. Normally I would isolate each circuit behind the fuse and add them back one at a time to try to isolate the problem...
You can also pull the fuse and put the ammeter across the terminals with everything on to check the current draw... You might see a load that would pop the fuse....
What were the conditions right before the fuse popped?

I hope this helps....
Old 03-26-2015, 11:15 AM

I think you should start by checking how much current is going through the fuse that blew. I don't know exactly which fuse blew, so if it were, say, a 10 amp fuse, you don't want to see more than 7 to 8 amps or about 3/4 of the fuse's rating. Even that is probably high.

Let me know exactly which fuse it was so I can figure out which circuit.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:41 PM

Ok so it's the fuse that's for the radiator fans. It's on the left side of the fuse box near the middle.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:26 AM

sounds to me the fans are drawing more amps then normal so maybe some resistance in the cooling fans? or corrosion maybe growing within the electrical lines.