3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

J30 wont select any gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

J30 wont select any gears

Hey dudes. Having issues with a 92 j30 maxima. It starts and runs fine. But when you go to select a gear nothing happens. The linkage is connected and moves, but there is no difference in idle or any noises when you do. Anybody experienced anything like this before?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers
Old 06-29-2016, 05:04 AM

The shifter doesn't move? Could it be your shift lock is on? Or it doesn't engage in any gear under load? If so sounds kind of strange that you wouldn't or didn't hear any noise. Im not a tranny expert but it could be possible the planetary pins let go. Is it a vg and is it an auto? I just had my tranny (RE4F02A) rebuilt for piece of mind while it was out after having the rear main seal changed and the rebuilder showed me the pins and how they had a little play. He tends to have them tig welded when doing the build so they don't move. He had mentioned to me that when those pins get too much play they can tend to drop down into the planetaries and mash them up. He mentioned that it was a fairly common problem with the RE4F02A's but after the rebuild it seems to run like it was almost new. Shifts like butter. You could possibly have a bad solonoid pack aswell. Best to consult with a good tranny shop and see what they think. After seeing them apart i'd definately say it's far from a DIYer job and can be pretty complex and complicated but atleast a tranny shop can give you some options and if your on a budget and can find a used working one a swap may be an option too if you feel its worth saving for the cost. Good Luck and hopefully it's nothing major.

Last edited by ac max 92; 06-29-2016 at 05:08 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

WOAHHHHHH...slow down there man.

OP - check the fluid level. report back once you have done that. also note the smell and color of the fluid as you check it.

oh and to add a little more info.
pins on the sun/planetary don't just go...esp when it's just sitting around. if they go it will go while driving. you're closer with the solenoids going...but that's a more gradual problem. once in a while i can't shift to X and it's delayed getting into gear, etc etc.

aside from the upside down valve body the trans is actually not that complicated.

Originally Posted by ac max 92
The shifter doesn't move? Could it be your shift lock is on? Or it doesn't engage in any gear under load? If so sounds kind of strange that you wouldn't or didn't hear any noise. Im not a tranny expert but it could be possible the planetary pins let go. Is it a vg and is it an auto? I just had my tranny (RE4F02A) rebuilt for piece of mind while it was out after having the rear main seal changed and the rebuilder showed me the pins and how they had a little play. He tends to have them tig welded when doing the build so they don't move. He had mentioned to me that when those pins get too much play they can tend to drop down into the planetaries and mash them up. He mentioned that it was a fairly common problem with the RE4F02A's but after the rebuild it seems to run like it was almost new. Shifts like butter. You could possibly have a bad solonoid pack aswell. Best to consult with a good tranny shop and see what they think. After seeing them apart i'd definately say it's far from a DIYer job and can be pretty complex and complicated but atleast a tranny shop can give you some options and if your on a budget and can find a used working one a swap may be an option too if you feel its worth saving for the cost. Good Luck and hopefully it's nothing major.