Turbo VG swapped stanza - Page 9 - Maxima Forums

3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turbo VG swapped stanza

Old 06-08-2018, 05:47 AM

Any new updates? Still hoping you have everything completed this summer. Looking forward to some vids of the worlds first stanzima
Old 06-14-2018, 11:25 PM

This is Wild!
Old 06-17-2018, 12:29 AM

whatap bros. sorry i wasnt around the car for a while.

i was having some weird voltage issues and found some settings that had apparently defaulted to nothing selected at all. for some reason im not fully sure of the voltage issues went away after i rerouted and reconnected the grounds for my gauges which are in a completely separate circuit than the ecu but i guess there must be something thats shared in there im not remembering idk or care cause now that those things are fixed the car is running noticeably better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLF4...ature=youtu.be

so as soon as the registration suspension is up i can drive the car. so besides finishing the catch can which i will probably do tomorrow, i only have one more thing to do....

while i was in the car today i heard some strange noises coming from my headliner..... pretty much immediately i realized something was up there and was alive. i wasnt really sure what it was right away so i figured maybe it was just a bug or something that got stuck because thats kind of how it sounded. once it got dark out tho i could very clearly hear what it was.

theres a ****ing entire litter of mice in my headliner. i for sure heard AT LEAST 3 different mice running around up there. obviously im heated lol i get one thing fixed and some bull**** happens and sets me back again. so im going to figure out how to get them out of there (and then directly into my homebrew moustrap that will eradicate them with extreme prejudice) ill be pulling my headliner down to clean all of the poop and dirt and **** and probably completely redoing my headliner. i had absolutely no intentions of pulling my headliner down at all ever but its gotta happen now so thats probably gonna be the next update after the catch can.
Old 06-18-2018, 05:12 PM

Well on a positive note at least they didn't feast on your electrical causing you to chase electrical gremlins lol
Old 06-26-2018, 11:55 AM

This person knows how to use rivnuts! You must be an A&P?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03 View Post
This person knows how to use rivnuts! You must be an A&P?
lmao no unfortunately i only work on vehicles whos total value could be exchanged for some small livestock. im a fabricator at a speed shop, when we are busy i make good money (in relation to the current economy anyway) but there can be huge stretches of time where we arent busy so im usually pretty broke. i post some of the stuff i do there on my instagram @bosletnate i mostly work on hondas there because thats where the market is where im at but theres some other cool stuff there.

big update coming soon. dont think me not posting means im not working on the stanzima
Old 07-01-2018, 06:25 PM

THE MUFFLER

as previously stated the exhaust i bought for 100 dollars that i had to chop up and reweld together sounded like total *** so here is the process i went through to rebuild a skunk2 muffler i got from my job that cracked in half after it apparently had all of the packing blown out of it.

this is the original tip from the cheepo exhaust.

this muffler was apparently a 3 inch inlet which means i need to reduce it. this is where the tip comes in.

3 to 2.5

i did some research on packing and found that apparently for longevity ceramic packing is much more resilient than fiberglass or stainless wool. i got some generic ceramic insulating blanket for like 10 bucks and did a little test to see what the real difference would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG3j...ature=youtu.be

i think its pretty clear the ceramic is a lot more resilient than the stainless steel wool.

here is the comparison between the old muffler, no muffler and new muffler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ak...ature=youtu.be

the rasp is probably from the muffler being a little too big and not having a decent resonator in the exhaust. it was still there even with no muffler so im hoping when i make the headers it will go away or lessen. im not really worried about it tho for now im happy with it. it doesnt sound anywhere near as tinney or rattley like it did before. i still have to hang the muffler as you may have noticed in the video but i had some other stuff going on at the shop and didnt get a chance to get to it but once i do i think ill take the car out for a spin and see what works and what doesnt lol
Old 07-05-2018, 04:19 PM

did the hangers last night, the muffler is where its gonna stay.

next thing i gotta do is mount the catch can and then reregister the car and find some extra super ultra cheap insurance so i can drive it. idk when ill have the money to get the turbo stuff done on the stanza if i had a more stable source of income i would probably just bang it out in a few weeks but not being able to afford stuff when i need it really sets me back. in the mean time im gonna work on getting my z to the garage and start getting it ready for the VQ swap. ill have more updates on the stanza soon dont worry. probably a burnout video soon.

Old 07-05-2018, 11:52 PM

Great work! It looks like you are just about ready to terrorize the local villagers.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:35 AM

Where's the the burnout vid of the worlds 1st Stanzima ready to terrorize the local villagers? Any new progress? The anticipation lol. I haven't been on here as much since my max is gone but when I am I always check for any new updates with the Stanzima. Keep up the great work Nate. Hope the z31 is going good too. Also if your ever interested I have a bnib cat for the turbo z31.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:01 PM

i promise the next video i post will be me driving/roasting tires. i have been really struggling to find work lately so the car is even further in the back seat, more like stuffed into the trunk at this point. i havent even been up to the garage since the last post but im planning on going up this weekend to see if i can get the fans to work and probably just strap the catch can down for now.
Old 08-05-2018, 03:57 PM

im a man of my word. there she is in all her half assed, incredibly poorly tuned, stumbling, bumbling glory. i didnt worry about the fans, i doubt the car even got up to 100 degrees in the 2 minutes it was running. i know how to fix them, ill probably go back up this week to work on that. i definitely need to get it up to temp so i can get my fuel dialed in, the reason its running so bad is because its still trying to run in the warmup enrichment, without having the car up to temp i cant accurately setup the base map so whatever changes i make just slowly get screwed up when as the car warms up (it goes lean as it warms because it needs more fuel to run normally when its cold) this is why when i attempted to floor it the car just sort of coughed and slowly attempted to accelerate slightly. once i get the fans working right ill get the car up to temp and get the fuel dialed in so i can annihilate those minuscule tires im running.

everything went well tho, i didnt hear any crazy noises or knocks, the trans went through all the gears fine. there are some things i need to address like the shifter still needs bushings but i could definitely drive the car the way it is. for the catch can all i did was zip tie it to a section of the harness to keep it from moving. i lost the little cover for my distribution block and im worried about it shorting out so i might get another one of those but for the most part the car just needs to be registered again and i should also get some new gas because im sure whats in it is garbage.

Last edited by Nate Boslet; 08-05-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:11 AM

All Right!!!
Old 09-01-2018, 09:47 PM

FANS ARE WORKING.

there were 2 things keeping the fans from working. the first problem was the relay i had wired up to be switched by the MS1 wasnt turning the fans on, idk how i ever got the fans to turn on using that relay but whatever it was it was incorrect so i just switched the connector from that relay to the correct relay to have the fans turn on. the fans in the stanza are 2 speed, high and low, to accomplish this the car has 2 relays (three fan relays total but idk what the 3rd one is for, maybe ac or like some sort of safety relay idk) but if you turn on either one of the first two relays its on low and then both relays on at once gives you high speed. since i only have one output to switch the fans on i can only have the fans come on at low or high speed, for now they are on low because idk if high speed will be necessary yet.

the second reason the fans werent working is way more embarrassing and stupid but im gonna tell everyone anyway because it might prevent someone else from making a similar mistake, or maybe someone will find it funny.... the MS1 has 4 spare pins that you can use as outputs to control various things like boost control, nos injection, meth, launch control, 2 step etc. or in my case fan control. what i was not aware of is that in order to use these outputs you have to actually modify the hardware inside of the MS1. without doing this modification the wire i had run to my spare pin was connected to absolutely nothing. so ive been trying to figure out why im not getting signal from a wire that may as well be laying on the floor lol armed with the new knowledge of what i had to do to complete the mod i banged it out, it was actually really easy.

idk if anyone will really understand what this means but i figure its neat to look at. basically signal comes from an output pin and the transistor opens a gate i think maybe which completes a circuit between a ground and the output which closes the relay, im assuming the diode is for protection but im just learning so im not super sure about any of this lol anyway it works. i got the car warmed up a bit, had the fans kick on and off at certain times. they kick on slightly earlier than what they are set at which i found strange, i guess they account for temp spiking or heat soak or whatever in the code instead of trusting you to use the right temps which is nice. i have no idea what operating temperature is supposed to be, once i find that out ill set the fans at that and probably take the car for an extra long spin and start getting it better street tuned and fix the warmup enrichment and be well on my way to tire roasting. just from dialing the fuel in when it was around 160 degrees the car runs a million times better and its still running on that year old gas so once i get some decent gas in and get her nice and hot it should get wild quick. i really gotta build some turbo headers tho cause this car sounds like a dying buffalo in the revs.

Last edited by Nate Boslet; 09-02-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:47 PM

Nissan uses 3 relays for the cooling fans on the Maxima. Fan Relay 1 turns both fans on at low speed. Fan Relay 2 turns fan #1 on at high speed and Fan Relay 3 turns fan #2 on at high speed. The reason for using a separate relay for each motor's high speed is unknown to me. This design would allow each fan motor to be operated at high speed independently from the other one, but the fans are connected to always operate as a pair. There is one pin on the ECU that says run the fans at low speed and one pin that says run the fans at high speed.

I will assume that the Stanza is set up the same way since it also uses 3 relays. If the car has air conditioning, it is necessary to have the cooling fans running when the a/c compressor is running.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 PM

decided to redo the fuel rails again and install my bosch 550s i originally got for my Z31 in the stanza. i feel like the stanza has been down a cylinder because the one injector wasnt working. i know the 550s are good and i wasnt really happy with the way the injectors were done so im gonna change it lol i just got the stock today so new pics on that and hopefully burnout vids once the car is running right.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:22 AM

The exhaust isn't all that pretty sounding...deep but I think a 11" x 5" oval MF muffler would be the bomb with a large resonator...Pretty impressive stuffing that VG in that smaller chassis.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03 View Post
The exhaust isn't all that pretty sounding...deep but I think a 11" x 5" oval MF muffler would be the bomb with a large resonator...Pretty impressive stuffing that VG in that smaller chassis.
i think the main issue is the really turbulent headers and possibly one of the injectors being screwed up. one of them had been giving me problems for a while so i know for a fact there is a chance its missing a cylinder entirely which isnt doing my exhaust tone any favors. once the rails are done ill look into building a new set of headers, possibly turbo headers.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Nice. Glad to see things are moving along slowly but surely. Still waiting for the smoke show vid lighting up tires terrorizing the local villagers lol..
Old 11-06-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92 View Post
Nice. Glad to see things are moving along slowly but surely. Still waiting for the smoke show vid lighting up tires terrorizing the local villagers lol..
between work and various life situations and changes i just havent had the time or energy to really get to the car and work on it like i had been earlier. ive decided im going to be LS swapping my Z at some point and if i can get the stanza running and driving reliably ill probably sell my hybrid so i can daily the stanza instead but a lot needs to happen before then. i already ripped the intake off and brought it home so i can start on the rails tomorrow and be on my way to seeing if i can get it tuned up and idling right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.