3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Keyless entry buttons stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:35 AM

Keyless entry buttons stopped working

So yesterday i noticed the keyless buttons on my door stopped working, like when i press them there is no sound except for 2 of the buttons seem to work fine and it is like this on both doors, seems like only 2 of the buttons work on both sides. I really like having these working since it makes it easier to lock my doors and is nice to have in case i ever lock my keys in my car..Is there some type of fuse that maybe could of burned out or anything else that would cause these to not function properly or would i just have to replace them? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:29 PM

All I can suggest is downloading an FSM and tracing the electric diagrams to see where the button leads go, then checking what the heck is wrong with them.

I loved keyless entry in my 3d gen! Missing it ever since.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:09 PM

Assuming there are no broken wires, there are 3 modules involved that could be bad.

The digital touch entry control unit. This module is located to the right of the glove box and you need to pull the glove box out to get to it.

The door lock timer module. This is under the dash to the left of the steering column. This has been a problem child since Nissan started using it. The main problem is poor construction, the printed circuit board suffers from cold solder connections.

The touch panels on the doors. Since both doors have a problem, this may not be the problem. But out of curiosity, are the 2 buttons that don't work the same 2 on both doors?

You don't have a blown fuse problem as the touch panels work somewhat. This means there is power.

Here is a link to the Nissan service manual - http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1994/

You want to look in section EL page 145.