No spark & no fuel 1991 max - Maxima Forums

3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

No spark & no fuel 1991 max

Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 AM
  #1  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
No spark & no fuel 1991 max

i have a 1991 nissan maxima 5sp,the car has 145xxx miles. It always ran like a champ,until one day i was slowing down approaching a red light then it just died. I pulled the the spark plug boot & did the spark check and it had no spark, so me and my dad changed several parts such as the igniter ,distributor & the coil and it still has no spark. Also i do not hear my fuel pump cutting on anymore when i turn the key. With that being said my dad told me that it may be the computer,so i ordered one off ebay from a automatic maxima,i could have gotten a 5spd cpu,but the only place that had them was rock auto and they wanted $250 for it ,and i really don't feel like dishing out all that on a part that is not guaranteed the problem.

So here are my questions:
1. Has anyone ever had that problem?
2. Is it the computer?
3.What else should i check after i install the computer if this problem persists.
red3rdgen is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 11:16 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Fl, USA
Posts: 227
have checked all your fuses?
Tiniform is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 05:47 PM
  #3  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
@tiniform yes, me and my dad went over it this weekend & he says it might be the cut off relay in the trunk. we used a test probe & the coil is not firing. so we got a new coil & it still didnt work, were can i get the orange relay from?
red3rdgen is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 06:15 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 7,311
do you have a wiring diagram? instead of throwing parts at it, search for the wiring diagrams for the fuel pump and you should be able to trace back and probe points for power.

long shot but are you for sure the timing belt didnt break? that could cause a no spark and i guess possible make the fuel pump kick off if the ECU doesnt like it
chrome91 is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 06:34 PM
  #5  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
no ,its not the timing belt,we checked that . & we pulled up a wiring diagram on shopkey ,but it sucks.
red3rdgen is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 08:08 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 8,921
Distributor timing diode went out (Cranksensor)?
CMax03 is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 07:33 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ont. Canada
Posts: 1,684
Originally Posted by CMax03 View Post
Distributor timing diode went out (Cranksensor)?
Looks like in his 1st post he mentioned he changed the distributor. Looks like he also changed the igniter and coil. O.p if you search here on the forum there should be a link to the FSM which you should be able to find the wiring diagram. I had a box full of relays and fuses months ago but they're all gone now. Had this come up some time back I could have shipped you some. Have you checked the scrapyard or classifieds here to see? I believe theres a recent part out in the classifieds. Might be worth checking there for your relay. I'll check to see if I may still have a couple kicking around. If you want to post a pic of the relay you need. Also you mentioned you checked the fuses. Did you happen to check the main 30amp green fuse under the hood? Were all fuses good? Maybe you have a short somewhere?

Last edited by ac max 92; 12-17-2018 at 07:50 AM.
ac max 92 is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 07:44 AM
  #8  
Ad·min·is·tra·tor
iTrader: (14)
 
DanNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 17,051
is it no spark or spark is not happening at the right time?
how did you exactly check for spark? how did you install the distributor? it's known that the FSM is wrong in installing the distributor back in the motor.

for the fuel situation...spray a little starter fluid down the intake. it should run for a few seconds so then you can rule out fuel. concentrate on the spark issue for now.

hate to state the obvious but i assume you have a decent of spark plug wires in there and the cap+rotor are in good shape?
DanNY is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:21 AM
  #9  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by ac max 92 View Post
Looks like in his 1st post he mentioned he changed the distributor. Looks like he also changed the igniter and coil. O.p if you search here on the forum there should be a link to the FSM which you should be able to find the wiring diagram. I had a box full of relays and fuses months ago but they're all gone now. Had this come up some time back I could have shipped you some. Have you checked the scrapyard or classifieds here to see? I believe theres a recent part out in the classifieds. Might be worth checking there for your relay. I'll check to see if I may still have a couple kicking around. If you want to post a pic of the relay you need. Also you mentioned you checked the fuses. Did you happen to check the main 30amp green fuse under the hood? Were all fuses good? Maybe you have a short somewhere?
yes,i checked all fuses under the hood. and thanks for your help. let me know if you have any relays.
red3rdgen is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 08:24 AM
  #10  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by DanNY View Post
is it no spark or spark is not happening at the right time?
how did you exactly check for spark? how did you install the distributor? it's known that the FSM is wrong in installing the distributor back in the motor.

for the fuel situation...spray a little starter fluid down the intake. it should run for a few seconds so then you can rule out fuel. concentrate on the spark issue for now.

hate to state the obvious but i assume you have a decent of spark plug wires in there and the cap+rotor are in good shape?
i checked for spark by using a screwdriver in the spark plug boot & grounding it to see if i saw the electrode while someone cranked the car. and also its no sprak at all
red3rdgen is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:14 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ont. Canada
Posts: 1,684
Originally Posted by red3rdgen View Post
yes,i checked all fuses under the hood. and thanks for your help. let me know if you have any relays.
If possible pull the relay and post a pic. I'll check but if I don't I'm sure someone here would probably have one here in the classifieds.
ac max 92 is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 12:36 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 7,311
is it a specialized relay? if it is, try going to a self serve junkyard like Pick N Pull and get one for $2. if its a generic sized relay, you should be able to get a universal replacement from an autoparts store or swap it with another relay just to test if its the issue
chrome91 is offline  
Old 12-17-2018, 10:59 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 8,921
Run straight power to the fuel pump and see if it powers up? Check the relay input (signal) and output (load), check the coil for power and the igniters for power, Just cause they were changed doesn't mean a thing! Test your wiring!
CMax03 is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 06:44 AM
  #14  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
finally got it started ,it was a damn 10 amp fuse,smh i was about to junk the car over a 10 amp fuse lol
red3rdgen is offline  
Old 02-21-2019, 06:45 AM
  #15  
Newbie - Just Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 7
and my maxima is maroon like your in that pic, but im missing my spoiler lol ,any idea where i can get one?
red3rdgen is offline  
Old 02-22-2019, 07:53 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ont. Canada
Posts: 1,684
Originally Posted by red3rdgen View Post
and my maxima is maroon like your in that pic, but im missing my spoiler lol ,any idea where i can get one?
When it was asked if you checked ALL of your fuses I'm guessing you didn't take a probe light to ALL of them? Do you know why the fuse popped? Did you check for a short or grounded wire?I think spoilers for the 3rd gens are getting tough to find. I had a good one that was much better than the sh!tty stock foam material but sold it back in the fall. I believe it was JWC or something like that but was a perfect fit. If I could remember the 3 initials of the make I'd let you know so you could Google it. If it comes to me or I can get in touch with the buyer I'll let you know.

Last edited by ac max 92; 02-22-2019 at 07:55 AM.
ac max 92 is offline  
Old 02-25-2019, 10:03 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 8,921
It's great to know it was something simply overlooked....
CMax03 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Geordie
3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994)
8
01-22-2016 12:13 PM
pingadulce
Supercharged/Turbocharged
24
03-17-2005 07:09 PM
tncamoman
3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994)
1
04-03-2003 07:35 AM
Infiniti G
3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994)
3
11-13-2002 10:23 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No spark & no fuel 1991 max


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.