3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 09:48 PM

Engine vibration

There is this vibration from the engine while the car is in drive. I can feel the vibration from the steering wheels all the way to my seats. I have gotten the engine mount checked and a minor tune up but the car still shakes. However, when you put the car in neutral the shake get much less but it's still there. So does anyone know what the problem might be. The engine mount is fine, i was told that i will need a new ball joint, but would that cause my car to shake like that?
Old 04-07-2002, 09:55 PM

does it only shake while your moving?
Old 04-07-2002, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by skatanic28
does it only shake while your moving?
it only shakes when the car isn't moving
Old 04-07-2002, 10:09 PM
Mikes90GXE

Your engine is probably producing less power from one or more cylinders, therefore the vibration. Try disabiling each cylinder one at a time by removing the spark plug wire at the distributor. When you find the culprit cylinder, little or no change will occurr when you lift the wire.

You can remove the wire at the distributor while the engine is running without getting a shock. But DO NOT REMOVE the wire from the spark plug end while the engine is running - the spark will short through your body.

Old 04-07-2002, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by Mikes90GXE
Your engine is probably producing less power from one or more cylinders, therefore the vibration. Try disabiling each cylinder one at a time by removing the spark plug wire at the distributor. When you find the culprit cylinder, little or no change will occurr when you lift the wire.

You can remove the wire at the distributor while the engine is running without getting a shock. But DO NOT REMOVE the wire from the spark plug end while the engine is running - the spark will short through your body.
i know this is a stupid question, but how can i fix it if it's a bad cylinder.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxima_dumby

i know this is a stupid question, but how can i fix it if it's a bad cylinder.
So then by taking his suggestion you agree that your problem is actually a rough idle? Open the hood and see if the engine seems to be running rough (it's safe to put your hand on the manifold). Hopefully you'll be able to judge if it's running smoothly or roughly.

If it's actually missing on one cylinder (and it's not just dirty injectors, worn sparkplugs, etc), then you have to figure out why. Check the injector is firing, check the sparkplug wire and sparkplug, check it actually is getting spark. Pull out the sparkplug and check its health while you're at it.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Bman
So then by taking his suggestion you agree that your problem is actually a rough idle? Open the hood and see if the engine seems to be running rough (it's safe to put your hand on the manifold). Hopefully you'll be able to judge if it's running smoothly or roughly.

If it's actually missing on one cylinder (and it's not just dirty injectors, worn sparkplugs, etc), then you have to figure out why. Check the injector is firing, check the sparkplug wire and sparkplug, check it actually is getting spark. Pull out the sparkplug and check its health while you're at it.
well i am not saying it's exactly a cylinder problem but i just want to check everything. And as to the spark plugs, well the plugs are new, the wires are new and the injector has been clean. The problem has been there even before i change the plugs and the wires, so i don't think it can be from there.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Mikes90GXE

Think about it: Selectively pulling the spark wires can help to diagnose other problems like bad injectors, burnt valves, lobes missing on cams. Not just no spark or bad plug.