3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel Injector Cleaning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 11:38 AM

Fuel Injector Cleaning?

Hi guys,

I just want to know if there is a way to clean the fuel injectors. I know you can buy that crap in the bottle and throw it into your gas tank, but does that really do the job? Is there a place you can go where they will do a really good job cleaning out the injectors? I am going to be making an appointment with my Nissan dealership soon to get that pressurized engine cleaning thing (Will that clean out the injectors). I ask this question because I have just bought a bunch of new parts and sensors that I want to put in the car, but before I go and throw them in I want all the gunk out of my engine and injectors. Any ideas? I know there is a deal at one place near me where they will clean the injectors, but I wanted to see what some experienced people have to offer.

Mind you I have a 1989 Max SE Auto with 139,650 miles on her.

Any advice would be awesome.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

http://www.rceng.com/service.htm#INJECTOR
Old 04-24-2002, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

pimpofbrooklyn...

I have an 89'SE 5Sp, and to my knowledge the injectors have never been replaced or serviced (I bought the car used last May). Anyway, I've used Chevron's brand of fuel injector cleaner with Techron, and it seems to work pretty good. I haven't used any in a while, so I'll be heading back to get some soon. My uncle recommended the DuraLube brand of fuel system cleaner as well, but I haven't tried that one to verify his recommendation, but he said that he put some in his daughter's '88 Honda Accord and she's driven back and forth from NYC to LA about 3 times without any complaints or problems.

Hope that helps...

peace2u
Old 04-24-2002, 02:33 PM

Re: Fuel Injector Cleaning?

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=pintle+caps

I've used lots of FI cleaners available over the counter and yet the filter screen on my injector still had a lot of crap on them. I kinda doubt that the injector service available through the dealerships can do as complete of a job as removing them and cleaning/replacing all the seals.
Old 04-24-2002, 02:57 PM

Re: Fuel Injector Cleaning?

Originally posted by pimpofbrooklyn
Hi guys,

I just want to know if there is a way to clean the fuel injectors. I know you can buy that crap in the bottle and throw it into your gas tank, but does that really do the job? Is there a place you can go where they will do a really good job cleaning out the injectors? I am going to be making an appointment with my Nissan dealership soon to get that pressurized engine cleaning thing (Will that clean out the injectors). I ask this question because I have just bought a bunch of new parts and sensors that I want to put in the car, but before I go and throw them in I want all the gunk out of my engine and injectors. Any ideas? I know there is a deal at one place near me where they will clean the injectors, but I wanted to see what some experienced people have to offer.

Mind you I have a 1989 Max SE Auto with 139,650 miles on her.

Any advice would be awesome.
I have an 89 GXE and the only chronic problem I've had is with the injectors. I tried about every brand of add-to-your-gas-tank injector cleaner. Nothing worked. On two separate (painful) occasions I took it to a local shop and paid about $500. They replaced one injector each time and the rest was cost of labor. About a year ago it was running so poorly that I was about ready for another $500 solution. I decided to get a second opinion at a different shop. This guy disconnected the fuel line and ran 3 cans of pure injector cleaner through the system (he said he usually only has to use one). It's called "44K". You can add it to your tank or "mainline" it. The guy charged me under $200. I've added a can to my tank about every 3 months since then and no more injector problems. BTW, the only place I've been able to find "44K" is at my local Dodge dealer.

Old 04-25-2002, 08:40 AM

Re: Re: Fuel Injector Cleaning?

Originally posted by Scott Fife
Here is a link to that 44K stuff.

Is this the right cleaner?

http://www.rspeed.net/miata/item.asp...1&prod=821-103
Old 04-25-2002, 09:15 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Fuel Injector Cleaning?

Originally posted by eric93SE
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ht=pintle+caps

I've used lots of FI cleaners available over the counter and yet the filter screen on my injector still had a lot of crap on them. I kinda doubt that the injector service available through the dealerships can do as complete of a job as removing them and cleaning/replacing all the seals.
if you only had experienced with over the counter stuff how can u assume the stuff dealers use will not do the job?
Old 04-25-2002, 10:04 AM

For Routing Cleaning

Buy 2 containers of your hoice of FI cleaner and dump then in a full tank of gas. Drive around town normally and run the tank out (however long that takes); the key is to do it slowly so that the cleaner would have time to work on the gunk.

Went your tank is empty, change your oil (very important) as some of the cleaner will have mixed with the oil and since the FI cleaner is a solvent, your oil becomes less viscous.

That should do for routine cleaning. You may need to change your FI cleaner or replace it if the damage is worse than the routine gunk build up.
Old 04-26-2002, 09:19 AM

Has anyone ever used the 44K stuff, it's $20.00 at Napa but they have some before and after pictures and it looks like the stuff really works.
Old 04-26-2002, 07:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Fuel Injector Cleaning?

Originally posted by DanNY

if you only had experienced with over the counter stuff how can u assume the stuff dealers use will not do the job?
Those cleaner will clean the spray pattern through the injector, BUT None will desolve the ultra fine metal particles that get caught in the filter screen of the injector. Eventually the filter screen will be so plugged that it will effect performance and eventually cause the injector to burn out. I would estimate that mine were 30% plugged just by visual inspection.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:30 PM

The solvents in those over-the-counter cleaners don't mix with gasoline. They actually seperate in your tank and become sedement. I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand more times, those things are crap no matter what brand you get. That stuff just ends up rotting in you gas tank and fuel lines, and like eric93SE said, they probably won't even get the stuff packed into the screens. Get a professional "flush" done and you won't regret it. Just don't pay more than $110 or so for it...
Old 04-27-2002, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by nismo1989
The solvents in those over-the-counter cleaners don't mix with gasoline. They actually seperate in your tank and become sedement. I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand more times, those things are crap no matter what brand you get. That stuff just ends up rotting in you gas tank and fuel lines, and like eric93SE said, they probably won't even get the stuff packed into the screens. Get a professional "flush" done and you won't regret it. Just don't pay more than $110 or so for it...
I'll have to disagree, If the cleaner is put in the gas tank, then gas is added, they will mix and the cleaner will go into solution. How do you know they won't mix, did you get a clear container with around two or three galines of gas and then add a small portion of cleaner to it to see if it settles to the bottom?
Also there are no solvents (over the counter or not) that will DISSOLVE metal particles in the filter screen of the injector!!
Old 04-27-2002, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by eric93SE

I'll have to disagree, If the cleaner is put in the gas tank, then gas is added, they will mix and the cleaner will go into solution. How do you know they won't mix, did you get a clear container with around two or three galines of gas and then add a small portion of cleaner to it to see if it settles to the bottom?
Also there are no solvents (over the counter or not) that will DISSOLVE metal particles in the filter screen of the injector!!
I personally have never tested it, no. But a close mechanic friend did show me deposits left behind from various fuel additives in my fuel system and that was his expanaition. Based on the evidence he was showing me, it made sense. I truly believe that gas additives do more harm than good. Alot of them are alcohol based also, to get teh water out of the gas, which is no good for my engine either because of my timing advance and the risk of detonation. I believe that the best thing to do is to get a fuel system flush and to use a good brand of premium gasoline. 93 octane or higher if available. The station down the street from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (just a few blocks from my house) has 103 octane. I like that stuff...
Bottom line don't use crappy gas and get a professional flush.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:42 PM

Don't try to clean those injectors you'll only screw up your injectors... Let it ride..

When they go it's not cause they are clogged. They don't clog. The solenoid quits working due to the heat. There is actually a Tech Service bulletin from Nissan saying not to use the cleaning additives. - I know from experience - I just replaced all 6 of my injectors.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:47 PM

And the debate continues . . . .

Personally, I use a container of fuel injector every 1st of the month. So far, I have been pretty lucky as I seem to have avoided injector troubles. However, if an injector does blow, it will not be because of the use or non-use of injector cleaner. It will be because the injector's soloniod gave out.

I guess using or not using FI cleaner is really a matter of personal preference. As for the 44k, I have seen also seen that in the local dealerships; however, for $20.00 a container, I am somewhat reluctant to us it when my cars run just fine.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by nismo1989
The station down the street from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (just a few blocks from my house) has 103 octane. I like that stuff...
Bottom line don't use crappy gas and get a professional flush.

103 is a bit of an overkill there IMO. i mainly use 91 octane
Old 09-28-2003, 12:35 AM

I don't think we're allowed to have anything over 91 in the state of california.
Old 09-28-2003, 02:06 AM

I've used the chevron with technron cleaner and works pretty good. Used it in my dads dodge van and after using the throttle body got really dirty. Had to clean it again with cleaner. Note after using, if your tank is really dirty throw in couple of bottles and change fuel filter. Heard the BG 44k is pretty good stuff too but pretty expensive and dont sell in local auto store
Old 09-28-2003, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by rexwl
Don't try to clean those injectors you'll only screw up your injectors... Let it ride..

When they go it's not cause they are clogged. They don't clog. The solenoid quits working due to the heat. There is actually a Tech Service bulletin from Nissan saying not to use the cleaning additives. - I know from experience - I just replaced all 6 of my injectors.

How well is the car running now? any changes in fuel economy?

Actually what you said above is incorrect. The injector SCREENS clog, and over time that will severly limit the flow of gas. The injector will eventually overheat and fail. It could also be a combination of a clogged screen and a corroded coil (like Nissan said) due to the use of injector cleaner.