3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

'94 GXE Security System Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

'94 GXE Security System Problems

Hi, I'm new to the group, and also an owner of a '94 Maxima as of yesterday. I'm having a problem that seems to be related to the security system, which is affecting almost all of the power systems in the car. I've read the manual a couple of times, but can't find anything that addresses what I'm experiencing. The most I can tell from the manual is that I should never open a door when the engine is running. Here are more specific details of what's been happening:

I made the initial mistake of opening the driver's door after starting the engine. This set off the alarm, which I killed by turning the engine off and re-starting it. After that, the power windows, locks, auto-retracting seatbelt, radio, clock, and trunk release didn't work until I shut the engine off and re-started it.

The seatbelt now only retracts if I turn off the engine, re-start it, and open the door, which sets the alarm off. Ditto for the windows and locks. The trunk release only works if the engine is running, which sets the alarm off. I've had to reset the clock and the radio stations a couple of times already. Each time the alarm goes off (about 15 so far), I kill it by turning the engine off and re-starting it. I'm betting this is not the recommended procedure, and it is not common for the alarm to be going off that much.

My questions are:

What am I doing wrong?
How do I stop it?
Is the security system SUPPOSED to mess with all the power systems like this?

I love this car so far, but this problem is extremely frustrating, and I'm wondering if this is some sort of other major problem, which would pretty much be just my luck with used cars.

Any help or guidance anyone can offer is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-21-2002, 10:34 PM
Tom

It's not supposed to do that

Take it to a professional to have it checked out. I've opened my door many times with the engine running and it doesn't do what you describe.
Old 05-21-2002, 11:12 PM

Re: '94 GXE Security System Problems

just wanted to say congrats on buying a fine automobile however with the current problem you're suffering......no clue to tell ya....have it checked out i guess
good luck!]

Hi, I'm new to the group, and also an owner of a '94 Maxima as of yesterday. I'm having a problem that seems to be related to the security system, which is affecting almost all of the power systems in the car. I've read the manual a couple of times, but can't find anything that addresses what I'm experiencing. The most I can tell from the manual is that I should never open a door when the engine is running. Here are more specific details of what's been happening:

I made the initial mistake of opening the driver's door after starting the engine. This set off the alarm, which I killed by turning the engine off and re-starting it. After that, the power windows, locks, auto-retracting seatbelt, radio, clock, and trunk release didn't work until I shut the engine off and re-started it.

The seatbelt now only retracts if I turn off the engine, re-start it, and open the door, which sets the alarm off. Ditto for the windows and locks. The trunk release only works if the engine is running, which sets the alarm off. I've had to reset the clock and the radio stations a couple of times already. Each time the alarm goes off (about 15 so far), I kill it by turning the engine off and re-starting it. I'm betting this is not the recommended procedure, and it is not common for the alarm to be going off that much.

My questions are:

What am I doing wrong?
How do I stop it?
Is the security system SUPPOSED to mess with all the power systems like this?

I love this car so far, but this problem is extremely frustrating, and I'm wondering if this is some sort of other major problem, which would pretty much be just my luck with used cars.

Any help or guidance anyone can offer is GREATLY appreciated!
[/QUOTE
Old 05-22-2002, 05:13 AM

I'm not exactly sure what's going on there, but I just recently had a couple of the problems you describe...
First off, you shut off the alarm by putting the key in the lock and unlocking the door... Doesn't matter if the doors are locked, or not.
If you do a search on my name and stock alarm, you'll come up with the thread I had last week where Craig B told me how to disable the alarm so I could figure out what else is wrong.
Dunno what else to tell ya besides unplug it and try to find the culprit.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, Taegost

Found the thread you mentioned. I'll try shutting it off, but I'll probably end up at a dealer.

Originally posted by Taegost
I'm not exactly sure what's going on there, but I just recently had a couple of the problems you describe...
First off, you shut off the alarm by putting the key in the lock and unlocking the door... Doesn't matter if the doors are locked, or not.
If you do a search on my name and stock alarm, you'll come up with the thread I had last week where Craig B told me how to disable the alarm so I could figure out what else is wrong.
Dunno what else to tell ya besides unplug it and try to find the culprit.
Old 05-22-2002, 06:53 AM

Re: Thanks, Taegost

Originally posted by hwjohn
Found the thread you mentioned. I'll try shutting it off, but I'll probably end up at a dealer.

Good luck with the dealer!
I can't stand them, personally... They wanted $530 to change all four of my brakes... I bought the parts at AutoZone for $50 and it took me about 20 minutes to do myself
But unplugging the alarm is simple, I slapped myself when I took off the kickplate and saw the anti-theft thing just staring at me... You prolly don't even need to take it off if you know where the little box is