4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can't bypass new indiglos from flashing with parking light output from alarm!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 08:42 PM

Can't bypass new indiglos from flashing with parking light output from alarm!

Well, here's the deal. I just installed the new "superwhite" indiglos from ProCarParts.com and I can't bypass them from flashing with the parking light output of my Viper alarm. In other words, I do not want the gauges to "flash" on and off each time I arm and disarm the alarm. Presently, I have the dash lights rewired from flashing with the alarm by just hooking up the blue wire from the dimmer switch to the ignition. This way, my dash lights only come on ONLY when the car is started (still switches on and off via the light switch). I have them wired this way because this saves and prolongs the life of the bulbs in the dash console. Believe me, this works because I changed too many bulbs from burning out from the continous flashing of the parking lights on the alarm. Anyway, I thought it would also work for the indiglos. Apparently, not! By tapping into the "light" output of the dimmer switch, it should act the same way as the other sources that light up with the dash. I tried all possible scenerios, even tapping into the cruise control light output, but no avail! I believe I'm experiencing this problem because the indiglos only have ONE (positive) power source, whereas the other the dash light sources have TWO to light up their respective logos. So, basically, what I'm asking, does anybody have any ideas on how to go about bypassing the flashing of the indiglos with the alarm? I hope I didn't confuse anybody on this. I don't want to hook up a seperate switch to cut the power to the indiglos. I still want them switched to light switch.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:45 PM
mb1

You can't bypass it. When I had my rattler alarm installed at circuit city in my honda, it made my stock gauges flash. Basically what the alarm does is turn your parking lights on and off.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by mb1
You can't bypass it. When I had my rattler alarm installed at circuit city in my honda, it made my stock gauges flash. Basically what the alarm does is turn your parking lights on and off.
Yes, but you can bypass the dash lights from flashing on and off by just hooking the "power" wire of the "dimmer switch" to a different power source, such as true ignition. This is how I am running them now. They don't flash with alarm, because the power is cut off from the 12V constant. This is how I want my indiglos to work also.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:09 PM
mb1

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Yes, but you can bypass the dash lights from flashing on and off by just hooking the "power" wire of the "dimmer switch" to a different power source, such as true ignition. This is how I am running them now. They don't flash with alarm, because the power is cut off from the 12V constant. This is how I want my indiglos to work also.
So when the car is off, and you turn on your lights, the instruments don't light up?

Why didn't you connect the indiglos straight to the ingition?
Old 07-22-2002, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by mb1

So when the car is off, and you turn on your lights, the instruments don't light up?

Why didn't you connect the indiglos straight to the ingition?
Yes, the instrument lights do NOT light up when the car is off. This way, it keeps the dash lights from "flashing" with the alarm. The bulbs seem to burn out more prematurely from the continuous flashing of the alarm. That is why I have them wired this way. But, to answer your question, if I wire the guages to the ignition, I would have to hook up a seperate switch to turn them on and off, because they would not operate via the light switch since the light switch is constant. It would be an inconvenience in turning two switches on at the same time, instead of using just one switch.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:34 PM
mb1

The only solution I can think off at the moment is to wire the power to the actual headlight power wire so they only turn on when the headlights are on.(or fog lights)
Old 07-22-2002, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by mb1
The only solution I can think off at the moment is to wire the power to the actual headlight power wire so they only turn on when the headlights are on.(or fog lights)
Yes, I thought of the same thing, but then I would lose the advantage of seeing my dash lights when I'm only operating the parking lights. But, thanks anyway for your help. I'll think of something to make it work.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:44 PM
mb1

I GOT IT!!!

get like a relay for ~$5.00. Like the type they use for fog lights. Connect the constant power of the relay to the dimmer switch, and the triger wire to the ignition. That way it only turns on when the car is on and the lights are on.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by mb1
I GOT IT!!!

get like a relay for ~$5.00. Like the type they use for fog lights. Connect the constant power of the relay to the dimmer switch, and the triger wire to the ignition. That way it only turns on when the car is on and the lights are on.
Yes, that may work! I'll try and see. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2002, 02:21 AM
Ludicrous Speed

wow...great solution...by the way, how do you like the "superwhite" gauges being white at night?
Old 07-26-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by mb1
I GOT IT!!!

YES!!! It worked! Good job mb1. Thanks! I was just skeptical on the wire hookup to each terminal on the relay. I was confused on which terminal to use...87a or 87 or both? I did some research, and figured it out. Now, my indiglos only turn when the car is started and still operative on/off via the light switch! WOW! These gauges are bright, too!
Old 07-26-2002, 09:04 PM

How about doing a writeup/How2 on this? It might benefit others.
Old 07-27-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Ravq
How about doing a writeup/How2 on this? It might benefit others.
OK, here is my set-up. This only applies to my aftermarket alarm, which is a Viper. I am not sure how the wiring goes for the factory alarms. Well, for my Viper, I had doubts about the continuous flashing of the dash lights, for that I was tired of replacing those tiny, little bulbs, especially those climate control bulbs. Anybody who has changed them know exactly what I'm talking about. They are a pain in the a$$$! Anyway, anyone who has an aftermarket alarm and wants to bypass the flashing of the dash lights with the parking light circuit, all you do is cut the power wire (blue) to the dimmer switch and splice into true 12V ignition (in the ignition switch). This way, your dash lights only come on ONLY when the car is started....not when in "constant all the time". The dash lights are still operative via the light switch, also. Now, when I installed my new indiglos, I ran into a slight problem. I thought if I tapped the power wire into a "parking light" circuit wire of another accessory (I chose the cruise control), it would hopefully work like all the other accessories. Well, unfortunitely, it didn't. The indiglos flashed with the alarm. Of course, I did not want this. And, with the help of mb1, we finally figured it out. All you do is hook up a 4-pin 30 amp relay to the indiglos. Tap the wires to each terminal as follows and you're done:

Terminal 30....12V ignition with a 10 amp inline fuse
Terminal 86....Parking light wire feed with a 5 amp inline fuse
Terminal 87....Indglos power wire
Terminal 85....Ground

(If you have a 5-pin relay, leave terminal 87a open, you don't need it).

Well, I hope this helps any to anyone who wants to do this mod. Believe me, it will prolong the life of your dash bulbs!
Old 07-27-2002, 06:16 PM

Excellent.

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
OK, here is my set-up. This only applies to my aftermarket alarm, which is a Viper. I am not sure how the wiring goes for the factory alarms. Well, for my Viper, I had doubts about the continuous flashing of the dash lights, for that I was tired of replacing those tiny, little bulbs, especially those climate control bulbs. Anybody who has changed them know exactly what I'm talking about. They are a pain in the a$$$! Anyway, anyone who has an aftermarket alarm and wants to bypass the flashing of the dash lights with the parking light circuit, all you do is cut the power wire (blue) to the dimmer switch and splice into true 12V ignition (in the ignition switch). This way, your dash lights only come on ONLY when the car is started....not when in "constant all the time". The dash lights are still operative via the light switch, also. Now, when I installed my new indiglos, I ran into a slight problem. I thought if I tapped the power wire into a "parking light" circuit wire of another accessory (I chose the cruise control), it would hopefully work like all the other accessories. Well, unfortunitely, it didn't. The indiglos flashed with the alarm. Of course, I did not want this. And, with the help of mb1, we finally figured it out. All you do is hook up a 4-pin 30 amp relay to the indiglos. Tap the wires to each terminal as follows and you're done:

Terminal 30....12V ignition with a 10 amp inline fuse
Terminal 86....Parking light wire feed with a 5 amp inline fuse
Terminal 87....Indglos power wire
Terminal 85....Ground

(If you have a 5-pin relay, leave terminal 87a open, you don't need it).

Well, I hope this helps any to anyone who wants to do this mod. Believe me, it will prolong the life of your dash bulbs!