4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Polished Aluminum Trunk Insert

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Polished Aluminum Trunk Insert

Ok, so I have a minor problem with the lousy sheet of cardboard they put in your trunk to make a flat surface over your spare tire...

I've had an interesting idea of how to replace this device. Please tell me if I'm... insane. I plan to get a sheet of polished aluminum, 3/8 or 1/4 inch thick, custom cut to match the original cardboard version.

Then, I'll trim 1/8" diamond plate rubber to cover it's topside, to give it a non-slip surface. Rubber will also be used on the edgs of the underside of the plate so there is no clanging against the sheetmetal in the bottom of the trunk.

I plan to trim to factory carpet, so that it only covers the area of the trunk to the sides of the aluminum plate, the carpet will then be glued in place.

The end appearance of the trunk will be carpered on the sides, a small piece or polished aluminum showing, and a lot of diamond plate rubber across the aluminum... All this thought and planning, just cause my 100 lb girlfriend broke the sheet of cardboard when she wanted to see if she could fit in the trunk.

So... would other people think this mod was a sensible one? Or am I off my rocker?

Old 08-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

1. Expensive.
2. Scratches.
3. Dents.
4. Weight.

-Cyrus
Old 08-02-2002, 01:17 PM
living out of a maxima...

Vyrus... I agree with 1, 2 and 3. Didn't think aluminum weighed much, though.

maybe if my max was a show car, but I throw too much stuff in there to risk damaging by polished aluminum trunk insert
Old 08-02-2002, 01:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I guess I need to elaborate.

Well, Scratches won't be a problem - as the top side will be covered with a sheet of diamond plate rubber. Only about 1/4" of the edge of the aluminum will be visible... and thus scratchable.

Dents: What are you guys "throwing" in your trunk... bricks? My trunk has a toolbox, overnight bag... and the occasional cardboard box. I'm certain that 1/4" sheet of aluminum will stand up to my abuse - and that of a couple hundred pounds of groceries, a few cases of beer - standard trunk things.

I had considered other materials... say steel for it's strength - but I discounted that due to it's weight. I considered ABS Plastic, but I'm not sure where I'd find that in a sheet. I considered plexiglass also... very little reverberation, shatterproof... and strong. But I just didn't like the plexiglass idea.

Now I'm strongly considering replacing the cardboard with a sheet of 1/4" medium density fiberboard. But I really wanted to do something outrageously classy... sort of over the top, so I may really do the aluminum thing.

haha, my brother suggested I put hinges on it and gas filled struts to hold it up, with a neon light underneath for when I need to access the spare... but I don't quite see the need for that much flash.
Old 08-02-2002, 01:48 PM
I'm so hood

One possible issue could be what people thought if you plan on selling the car, namely in a trade-in situation with a dealership.

I was thinking more among the lines of a standard fare particle board cutout with something to keep it snug, and a hole to make it easily yankable for spare access. But that wouldn't look as good/unique as what you're planning.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:31 PM

Are you talking filling the whole bottom of the trunk with something? If so, 1. its not level you will have to add 1 1/2 inches to the front of the trunk to match the height of the back ( thats if you want it level, and metal might be hard to bend upwards ) 2. it will have to be in 2 pieces, because it wont fit in one piece so plan on that.. just some suggestions.. I ran into those problems with my false floor for my subs

check it out here..
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=139533
Old 08-02-2002, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
One possible issue could be what people thought if you plan on selling the car, namely in a trade-in situation with a dealership.

I was thinking more among the lines of a standard fare particle board cutout with something to keep it snug, and a hole to make it easily yankable for spare access. But that wouldn't look as good/unique as what you're planning.
If you really want function over looks (which is now seems you do), go with fiberboard like phatmax95 said. Here's a pic of mine - it raised the trunk flooring about two inches but I stuck in a full-size spare as well.

Another
Last one...

-Cyrus