4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 12:32 PM

knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

A week or so ago, my check engine light came on and I self diagnosed it and the Knock sensor code came up. Now, I have traditional symptoms of a bad knock sensor (poor gas milage and poor performance) since then the light has not come back on, still poor performance. When I checked my ECU I rotated the screw so my light would go off. Is it possible that I messed the ECU up some how? (i.e. not screwing it back to its proper position?) Why wouldn't it go back on if the KS was bad?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:47 PM

Re: knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

Originally posted by yonkers648
A week or so ago, my check engine light came on and I self diagnosed it and the Knock sensor code came up. Now, I have traditional symptoms of a bad knock sensor (poor gas milage and poor performance) since then the light has not come back on, still poor performance. When I checked my ECU I rotated the screw so my light would go off. Is it possible that I messed the ECU up some how? (i.e. not screwing it back to its proper position?) Why wouldn't it go back on if the KS was bad?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
If you rotated the little screw all the way to the right, waited 2 seconds, then rotated it all the way to the left to read the codes, and then rotated it all the way to the right, waited 2 seconds, then rotated it all the way to the left and put the cover back on you did it correctly. (My old english teacher would love this sentence )

How many times and under what conditions have you driven the car since the reset? There are some variables that effect when the light will come back on if the there is a legitimate problem with the knock sensor. The same symptoms you listed could be caused by any number of things, inluding, fuel filter, throttle body, spark plugs etc... The knock sensor code may have been a fluke, if you drive the car regularly, you know soon enough if it was real.
Old 08-12-2002, 04:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have not heard that the KS itself can set off the CEL, are you sure you did not have any other codes?
Old 08-13-2002, 06:16 AM

Re: Re: knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

I did exactly what you said except putting on the cover. Would the plastic cover matter?
The wierd thing is that when my check engine light came on origanally, the poor performance and gas milage started right then. Sometimes the light would go off for a half a day or so, and then come back on. I already bought the KS for $80 from a nissan dealer so I am going to replace it. I also should replace the fuel filter and spark plugs. Maybe I should try and diagnose the engine again and see if any other codes come up??
Anyway, let me know your thoughts...
Thanks for the help.

Old 08-13-2002, 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

I did exactly what you said except putting on the cover. Would the plastic cover matter?
The wierd thing is that when my check engine light came on origanally, the poor performance and gas milage started right then. Sometimes the light would go off for a half a day or so, and then come back on. I already bought the KS for $80 from a nissan dealer so I am going to replace it. I also should replace the fuel filter and spark plugs. Maybe I should try and diagnose the engine again and see if any other codes come up??
Thanks for the help.

where did you find a knock sensor for $80
Old 08-13-2002, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the help.

The cover won't matter. Maybe you happened to catch the knock sensor just as it starting to fail and it will start to trip the light more frequently. I think your unique int he way this happened.

Where the hell did you get a knock sensor for $80. I'm jealous.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:31 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

Originally posted by iwannabmw

The cover won't matter. Maybe you happened to catch the knock sensor just as it starting to fail and it will start to trip the light more frequently. I think your unique int he way this happened.

Where the hell did you get a knock sensor for $80. I'm jealous.

The dealer (SunnyVale, CA) asked me for $180, F*&% that!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

Originally posted by myiqis180

The dealer (SunnyVale, CA) asked me for $180, F*&% that!
$140 is typical.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to make an assumption here based on my own KS experience...If the CEL came on, a code other than 0304 would be stored in the ECU memory, even if the problem corrected itself. The KS wont trip the CEL on its own, even if it senses knock (ECU retards timing, gas milage sucks, no power, yuk!) or has just plain failed. Someone suggested to me, and my own testing seems to support the idea, that the KS "wears" over time like an O2 sensor will.

Ok gang...I think he's messin with us with that $80 KS price, knowing we'd all be p*$#@'ed cause we paid too much!... (joking)...

Best I found was $118 including shipping from http://www.importecparts.com/ on July 30. Downside was they are in TX, so I got nicked for sales tax.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: knock sensor and Check Eng lgt Help?

Fellas'

My girlfriends uncle works at a nissan dealer in long island. I cannot get it for you guys, but www.thepartsbin.com usually has it for $111.00 and I think shipping is free on that site. My Max has 100k miles on it already so I think the knock sensor is bad which is affecting my HP and I am getting really really bad gas milage.

I appreciate the help...
keep it up.
Old 08-14-2002, 03:41 PM

i called today......backorder