4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter problems resolved!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 02:44 PM

Starter problems resolved!!!!

Well,hopefully. Last week I posted about my ongoing solenoid problems with my starters. Well, today I installed my fourth one and upon removing the old one, I noticed the power connections wiring route to the starter were routed in such a way that it was too close to the transmission housing. Even the solenoid wire harness was resting on the housing! This could have been the problem. The heat from the housing would get so warm to a point where it probably heated up the wire losing all conductivity to the starter.(Car would start after it sat a little while). This, in turn, I believe, eventually ruined the soleniod over time. Well, taking no chances, I re-routed the power wiring to starter clear away from the transmission housing. I then cleaned all contacts to and from the battery to starter. I even replaced the solenoid harness with all new wiring. I also replaced the ignition switch just in case. Now, hopefully, this will cure my starter problems! But, I do recommend if anybody has any hard, "hot-starting" problems, to check their wiring going to the starter. It might well be routed up against the transmission housing! I thought, maybe, I should pass this information on to others! Good luck!!!
Old 09-09-2002, 03:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Starter problems resolved!!!!

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Well,hopefully. Last week I posted about my ongoing solenoid problems with my starters. Well, today I installed my fourth one and upon removing the old one, I noticed the power connections wiring route to the starter were routed in such a way that it was too close to the transmission housing. Even the solenoid wire harness was resting on the housing! This could have been the problem. The heat from the housing would get so warm to a point where it probably heated up the wire losing all conductivity to the starter.(Car would start after it sat a little while). This, in turn, I believe, eventually ruined the soleniod over time. Well, taking no chances, I re-routed the power wiring to starter clear away from the transmission housing. I then cleaned all contacts to and from the battery to starter. I even replaced the solenoid harness with all new wiring. I also replaced the ignition switch just in case. Now, hopefully, this will cure my starter problems! But, I do recommend if anybody has any hard, "hot-starting" problems, to check their wiring going to the starter. It might well be routed up against the transmission housing! I thought, maybe, I should pass this information on to others! Good luck!!!

Nice piece of troubleshooting, thanks for sharing.
Old 09-09-2002, 05:15 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Starter problems resolved!!!!

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
I'm glad you understood my instructions then
Old 09-09-2002, 05:29 PM

isnt there a recall
Old 09-09-2002, 05:30 PM
RodolfoGraziani

Some Starters Never Start

Well, good for you.
I finally took Autoparts' alternator off and put my Nissan/Hitachi original back in.

And now...the problem is that my starter coil has been fried. This being an another Hitachi product, I'm having it rebuilt (for less $$ anyway)

It's been over a month since my max has been sitting on garage doing nothing...

Hope to fix it this week. Luck

Old 09-09-2002, 05:31 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by iregula
isnt there a recall
That was for the alternator. He had a problem w/ the wires connected to the starter and ignition.
Old 09-09-2002, 08:06 PM

Re: Re: Starter problems resolved!!!!

Originally posted by nadir_s

I'm glad you understood my instructions then
Thanks for your help and input. I didn't install the seperate starter switch ,though, for that I was skeptical of this particular mod. I'll see how long this starter lasts.