4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Removing rear right spark plug - tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 03:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Removing rear right spark plug - tips?

I removed the bolt for that little plastic ring and I tried to remove the two bolts for that thing directly above it, per the instructions on VBMaxima's site...

I ended up getting the left one off and rounding off the other one... it's such a tight space, any ideas on how to remove it?
Old 09-21-2002, 03:26 PM

use two extensions, that might help a little
Old 09-21-2002, 03:36 PM

Re: Removing rear right spark plug - tips?

Originally posted by bigd480
I removed the bolt for that little plastic ring and I tried to remove the two bolts for that thing directly above it, per the instructions on VBMaxima's site...
ok you so you removed the bolt from that hting, and the other little thing, and that thing.... ...could be of more help if you were more descritive, or show some pictures and point out the things......are you talking about the screws on the coil packs, the brackets, what..?
Old 09-21-2002, 03:45 PM

I ended up getting the left one off and rounding off the other one... it's such a tight space, any ideas on how to remove it?
Using the right size socket and extensions helps a lot on the back plugs. You might want to have a magnet handy to get the one of the screws out once it's loose.
Old 09-21-2002, 04:01 PM

ya i dropped one of the screws into the top of the manifold....i was scared ****less...i had to go out side of the garage while they were getting it out, i couldnt bare to watch..
Old 09-21-2002, 04:02 PM
Administrator

have you tried my site yet?

http://64.252.156.63/tails/sparkplug.htm
Old 09-21-2002, 05:12 PM

One handy item is...

One handy item is a piece of flexible rubber hose... one that is the right size to slip over the end of the spark plug and hold it. The rubber hose works GREAT for extracting the old plug once it's loose, AND for re-installing the new one down into the hole. Large size vacuum hose or small fuel line is about the right size.

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2002, 07:31 PM

wow i had no trouble with this plug. what I did (i know this is stupid) is i actually hooked a big old torque wrench down in there so i had LOTS of leverage and no space cramps. thats it. try that if you like.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:53 PM

Re: Re: Removing rear right spark plug - tips?

Originally posted by maxhead

Using the right size socket and extensions helps a lot on the back plugs. You might want to have a magnet handy to get the one of the screws out once it's loose.
Why not just use a spark plug bit from a ratchet set.....?
It holds onto the plug for you.

I dropped a coil screw down in my manifold 9 months ago. I couldn't see it anywhere. I just bought a new screw. 6 months ago I even installed my MEVI (took manifold off and put the ME Manifold on), and didn't see it anywhere.

Last week I took my manifold off to reseal it well because I've been having vacuum issues, and low and behold, THERE IT WAS!!! Stuck between the FPR and lower manifold.

IanS
Old 09-21-2002, 09:51 PM

OK - update: i have replaced all plugs except rear right - that is the one where you have to remove three things (one bolt for the black plastic ring, which is easily removable, and two nuts on the thing next to it (EDIT: it's the EVAP), they are 12mm nuts with at least 1/2" of bolt thread coming up through them...

I have removed the bolt and one of the nuts but the one that is left (rightmost of the two 12mm bolts) but it seems badly stripped - it looks 7-sided... I've tried WD-40 twice, an open ended wrench (too little room to work), 12mm sockets (don't clear the bolt enough, just continue to damage the top of it), and adjustable wrenches/pliers (too large)...

Any ideas?
Old 09-21-2002, 10:22 PM

OK - update: i have replaced all plugs except rear right - that is the one where you have to remove three things (one bolt for the black plastic ring, which is easily removable, and two nuts on the thing next to it (sorry for the ambivalence), they are 12mm nuts with at least 1/2" of bolt thread coming up through them...

I have removed the bolt and one of the nuts but the one that is left (rightmost of the two 12mm bolts) but it seems badly stripped - it looks 7-sided... I've tried WD-40 twice, an open ended wrench (too little room to work), 12mm sockets (don't clear the bolt enough, just continue to damage the top of it), and adjustable wrenches/pliers (too large)...

Any ideas?
Wha!?!?

On my car, it's just a wire snap-in harness and 2 8mm bolts that have phillips head tops......

Oooooh. You mean the EVAP!?!? Yes, you have to move that away....now I get it.

On mine, I have the MEVI, and moved my EVAP when I installed it..

IanS
Old 09-22-2002, 12:31 AM
Administrator

OK - update: i have replaced all plugs except rear right - that is the one where you have to remove three things (one bolt for the black plastic ring, which is easily removable, and two nuts on the thing next to it (EDIT: it's the EVAP), they are 12mm nuts with at least 1/2" of bolt thread coming up through them...

Any ideas?
in my write up i suggested a 12 mm deep socket..
Old 09-22-2002, 07:15 AM

Any ideas?
Oh yeah, I forgot about the EVAP. Mine just came right off with the two bolts, that's probably why I forgot about it. To get a striped nut off, use vise grips. You'll never use that nut again, but it'll be off.

Just a thought, you might want to check the socket sizes. If you are using the right size, you shouldn't strip any of your bolts (make sure you use metric and not the closest standard equivalent. If you are using the right size, use the six (?) sided socket versus the 12 (?) sided socket. Look on the inside, one is pretty basic and one has a lot of edges on it. The 12 (?) sided on gets more grip but has more chance of stripping bolts. Anyway, get some vise grips, get it tight, take the bolt off, and buy a new bolt. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:35 PM

Everything on a Max is metric right? It's a 12mm nut and I used 3 different (6-sided) 12mm sockets but for some reason one was fine and one just got more and more damaged every time I tried... Will go get some vise grips - just hope it will fit

Originally posted by maxhead

Oh yeah, I forgot about the EVAP. Mine just came right off with the two bolts, that's probably why I forgot about it. To get a striped nut off, use vise grips. You'll never use that nut again, but it'll be off.

Just a thought, you might want to check the socket sizes. If you are using the right size, you shouldn't strip any of your bolts (make sure you use metric and not the closest standard equivalent. If you are using the right size, use the six (?) sided socket versus the 12 (?) sided socket. Look on the inside, one is pretty basic and one has a lot of edges on it. The 12 (?) sided on gets more grip but has more chance of stripping bolts. Anyway, get some vise grips, get it tight, take the bolt off, and buy a new bolt. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Everything on a Max is metric right? It's a 12mm nut and I used 3 different (6-sided) 12mm sockets but for some reason one was fine and one just got more and more damaged every time I tried... Will go get some vise grips - just hope it will fit

if not.. take a dremmel to the nut and cut if off
Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
The Visionary...

Where did you buy the screw for the back far right coil package...I just cleaned mine and after 30 mins of trying to get the back ones off that stupid little screw decided to fall into my engine bay...I have no idea where it went so I might as well but a new screw...will this effect performance in any way with the coil pack being loose, even tho it is held in tight with the plastic stopper on the end of the pack?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:10 PM

i jumped on top of my engine.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:11 PM

i just replaced all my spark plugs with platinums and on one of the rear plugs i saw oil around the plug on top....
what is that mean??
Old 11-02-2005, 07:26 AM

valve cover gasket usually.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

3 yr old thread
Old 11-02-2005, 10:08 AM

Who goes back 3 years to find something like this? I mean I look back a few pages when Im looking for something, but definately not that far.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:10 AM
dot dot dot ...

A else?
Old 11-02-2005, 12:23 PM

wow, brought me out of retirement - i am still subscribed to this thread since I started it - was probably just a hit from search - which reminds me it's probably time to replace those plugs again...
Old 11-02-2005, 10:20 PM

hahhahaa.....funniest thing ever.