4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What Exhaust To buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What Exhaust To buy

I have a 96 Se 5 speed. It is all stock except for a few cosmetic things. I want to get an exhaust system but i don`t know which to get. It is between the Greddy sp catback, Apexi ws catback, or a Stillen muffler. First i dont know whether to get a catback, or just an a Muffler. I am leaning towards the Greddy Catback. I dont want something too loud. Also I heard a rumor that a catback without a heat sheild could melt the underbody. Is that true? Thanks for your help!
Old 09-23-2002, 09:03 PM

Re: What Exhaust To buy

Originally posted by Stickmaxima
I have a 96 Se 5 speed. It is all stock except for a few cosmetic things. I want to get an exhaust system but i don`t know which to get. It is between the Greddy sp catback, Apexi ws catback, or a Stillen muffler. First i dont know whether to get a catback, or just an a Muffler. I am leaning towards the Greddy Catback. I dont want something too loud. Also I heard a rumor that a catback without a heat sheild could melt the underbody. Is that true? Thanks for your help!
i hear good things about magnaflow and flowmaster?? greddy has a reported drone at cruising speed. i would go for a y and b pipe, or mevi! just my opinion though
Old 09-23-2002, 10:17 PM

greddy is good, i say go for that if you dont mind a bit of droning. apexi is a bit quiteer though. dont get a stillen muffler. almost everything from stillen is overpriced. get a muffler with bpipe and ypipe as another choice
Old 09-23-2002, 11:18 PM

I got a new Flowmaster Muffler today.

And a 2.5" B-pipe at a shop near me. This **** is loud. Too loud. I'm hoping it quiets down some because its hurting my ears so far.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:45 PM

Re: I got a new Flowmaster Muffler today.

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
And a 2.5" B-pipe at a shop near me. This **** is loud. Too loud. I'm hoping it quiets down some because its hurting my ears so far.
resonated b-pipe?? if not, one of those would quiet it down quite a bit, or so i've heard. you could always have a silencer put on?!?
Old 09-24-2002, 02:53 PM
CJP

If you want suggestions are mufflers, use the Borla muffler. I have a y-pipe and the Borla sound real nice. Hardly any noticable drone at crusing speeds and is quite at idle, but sound mean when you gun it. I see no reason to spend the money on a full catback on a Maxima.

Old 09-24-2002, 04:20 PM

IMHO an exhaust is a waste of $$ you'd see better gains from a B-pipe or JWT ECU. I'd recommend the JWT ECU 1st then do the B-pipe with stock muffler. Otherwise it will be way too loud.