4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

several stupid questions........

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 03:28 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

several stupid questions........

1. I have what looks like the BOSE head unit in my dash. CD/tape/am/fm.....the only thing is that it doesen't say BOSE on it. I bought the car used, and it still had the original window sticker in the owners manual. The sticker listed the BOSE system as an option, could the used car dealer switched it around?

2. I've got a rotten eggs smell coming from under the car. My guess is that it's a build up of sulphur in the cat, or a blown gasket. I was talking to a trusted mechanic about it, and he mentioned something about "Perfume" for your gas. He also said that it could be a whole bunch of other things, but that a lot of people with fully functional exhausts have problems like this too. Has anyone ever heard of this?

3. I assumed the cat had gone bad, and searched around for a replacement. the Nissan dealership near me wanted a little over $600. I told them to **** off. I figure if the cat has to be replaced, i might as well replace it with a high-flow cat (for $200). Considering that the high-flow is basically less of a filter, will my ehaust stink even more?

4. Also, when i bought the car, it was under a 3 year/30,000 mile warranty, which at this point is gone. I still have a warranty for the powertrain. However, i was told that nissan will cover emissions problems until 80,000 miles. Does anyone know how nissan deals with stuff like this, or who to call to find out? I hoping to find a way to get nissan to pay for the high-flow cat, yet keep the warranty till 80,000miles. I highly doubt they'll do it, because i'd be asking them to install aftermarket, non-nissan parts.

5. Does anyone know if insurance companies will cover a crash if it is racing-related? I know the simple answer is if you're concious when it happens, tell the cops you weren't racing. But it's hard to do that if you happen to crash at high speeds on an abandoned airstrip an 1:00 in the morning. Will the insurance company void the policy if they find out it was racing-related?
Old 09-25-2002, 04:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: several stupid questions........

I can only answer your first question.. I have a CD/FM/Tape deck in my car, and its not a Bose. Some Maximas came with it, I believe its a 100 watt sound system that came from the factory. But since your thing says it should be a BOse, I dunno...
Old 09-25-2002, 04:56 PM

Do the speakers say BOSE on them? If not, its probably not a BOSE system.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:01 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

If it is bose, it says so on the headunit.... and on each speaker grille. so obviously you don't have bose. I have the tape/ cd double din combo deal and its not bose.
Old 09-25-2002, 05:03 PM

if it dont say bose it aint bose simple as that
Old 09-25-2002, 09:10 PM

I've got the rotten egg smell going on too, and I only use 93 texaco/amoco/ or exxon. It only happens when I floor it. I can never duplicate it, my friends just tell me when they follow me. Need to find a way to duplicate it at the infiniti dealership so they can fix the stinkin' thing. grrrr..
Old 09-25-2002, 09:16 PM

my guess is that it has something to do with the A/C ..

i got the same problem.. only smell it every once in a while.. but it's annoying..

i smelled it once when i first got my car, the dealer turned on the A/C .. (that is why i came up with that assumption)

--Frank
Old 09-26-2002, 05:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by fearthegecko

I've got a rotten eggs smell coming from under the car.

I was talking to a trusted mechanic about it, and he mentioned something about "Perfume" for your gas.

Trusted machanic? Please stop talking to him and NEVER take your car to him for service.

Perfume for your gas..
Old 09-26-2002, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by fmtek
my guess is that it has something to do with the A/C ..

i got the same problem.. only smell it every once in a while.. but it's annoying..

i smelled it once when i first got my car, the dealer turned on the A/C .. (that is why i came up with that assumption)

--Frank
Nope' AC was off
Old 09-26-2002, 06:33 AM

3. I assumed the cat had gone bad, and searched around for a replacement. the Nissan dealership near me wanted a little over $600. I told them to **** off. I figure if the cat has to be replaced, i might as well replace it with a high-flow cat (for $200). Considering that the high-flow is basically less of a filter, will my ehaust stink even more?
Yes. There are fewer pollution-scrubbing elements in a high-flow cat than oem cat. The exhaust will smell more. Random Technology makes one for the Max.
What makes you suspect the cat's gone bad?
4. Also, when i bought the car, it was under a 3 year/30,000 mile warranty, which at this point is gone. I still have a warranty for the powertrain. However, i was told that nissan will cover emissions problems until 80,000 miles. Does anyone know how nissan deals with stuff like this, or who to call to find out? I hoping to find a way to get nissan to pay for the high-flow cat, yet keep the warranty till 80,000miles. I highly doubt they'll do it, because i'd be asking them to install aftermarket, non-nissan parts.
PM your e-mail address. I have their a pdf file of Nissan's warranty plan & it describes what components specifically are covered. I can e-mail you that. I can't seem to find it off the Net anymore so I can't provide you a link.
5. Does anyone know if insurance companies will cover a crash if it is racing-related? I know the simple answer is if you're concious when it happens, tell the cops you weren't racing. But it's hard to do that if you happen to crash at high speeds on an abandoned airstrip an 1:00 in the morning. Will the insurance company void the policy if they find out it was racing-related?
Not likely if (a) it's on a closed track/circuit & (b) if they figure out you were racing.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:49 AM

rotten eggs = sulphur = bad cat.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by Lime
rotten eggs = sulphur = bad cat.
& his car is a '99?!?! That's a pathetic cat.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Re: several stupid questions........

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Trusted machanic? Please stop talking to him and NEVER take your car to him for service.

Perfume for your gas..
i realize this thread is old, but i was looking over my past posts, and i found this. And i finally did find what he was talking about. If you have the current summit racing catalog it's on page 43 (not the sport compact issue, the main catalog).

or

click here
Old 02-19-2003, 01:26 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: several stupid questions........

i realize this thread is old, but i was looking over my past posts, and i found this. And i finally did find what he was talking about. If you have the current summit racing catalog it's on page 43 (not the sport compact issue, the main catalog).

or

click here
That is hilarious!!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 01:31 PM
What's next!?..

Oooo...Rippin'Rootbeer!!
Old 02-19-2003, 01:57 PM

$10 Turbo !!!!!

"4 oz., Turbo Tangerine fuel fragrance

Why deal with the nauseous exhaust fumes from your race vehicle when you could be sniffing the pleasant aroma of tangerines instead? This Manhattan Oil Fuel Fragrance eliminates unpleasant exhaust fumes and the eye, nose, and throat irritation that come with them. Just mix it in with your regular fuel--one 4 oz. bottle treats 30 gallons of alcohol or 20 gallons of gas."
Old 02-19-2003, 03:13 PM

i guess this means i should sit in my garage with the door closed and the car running and enjoy the sweet smell of my exhaust as i drift slowly off to sleep........