4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wait for a Maxima or Go with Camry??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 07:47 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

While the Camry is definately built better and is just as fast...

the Maxima looks a lot better
TO ME.

Looks are very important..
to me...

Can anyone fill me in on the V6 Camrys aftermarket support?

any turbos or supercharger kits produced for them?

how fast can you get one with all available bolt ons?

I think Camrys are nice, with some 17s or 18s, the camry doesn't look too bad but every person on the road has one.. the looks are very bland.. i've seen camrys with body kits and they look ugly. It would make a good sleeper car if there is actually potential for it with aftermarket..
Old 10-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
Can anyone fill me in on the V6 Camrys aftermarket support?

any turbos or supercharger kits produced for them?

you didn't read my first post .. did you?
Old 10-01-2002, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by fst96se

WURD...
yours is more rare than mine
Old 10-01-2002, 07:53 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by SprintMax

you didn't read my first post .. did you?
no
Old 10-01-2002, 07:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yours is more rare than mine
Thanks! (BTW, does this qualify as postwhoring?)
Old 10-01-2002, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by fst96se

Thanks! (BTW, does this qualify as postwhoring?)
its never post whoring when you are educating people and building the search capabilities just remember anything you type can be words used in the search function
Old 10-01-2002, 08:56 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

In Jan 2001 I was fresh out of school and wanted to buy a NEW car. I wasn't considering used cars at all. I wanted something new, with warranty, roomy, reasonably fast, and guaranteed to be reliable, so that's your mainstream Japanese sedans there.

Didn't fit in the 01 Maxima so that was out.

Didn't want a Camry because mom n pop have had an 85, 90, 98, and 00 Camry's and I wanted something else. All 4-cyl automatics, except the 90 which was a 5spd and that was fun to drive (back then). They still drive the 98 and 00.

Accord V6 seemed to fit the bill well but didn't have a manual. I figured I'd just live with it and be happy with an automatic, but then I ended up being disappointed in the car's performance.

It's ironic, but you know what I would have gotten if I had to do it all over again?

I would have special ordered a 2001 Camry LE V6 5spd!!

But yeah, Sprint is right. The Camry's have more horsepower and torque, and they aren't significantly heavier than an equivalent Gen4 Maxima. And only around 5000 97-01 Camry V6's with a 5spd were ever actually built so they are the **ultimate** sleepers! Yup, 14.8-14.9 stock. They're every bit as fast as a 95-99 Maxima 5spd, if not FASTER, all with a fully factory supported TRD supercharger.

If I need to get another car I'm going to try to find one of these, but any searches might be in vain. You can find a few once in awhile on AutoTrader.com, but they're usually all 1000 miles away with extremely high mileage.

Shoulda got a Camry...hehe
Old 10-01-2002, 11:50 AM

fastest 5spd Maxima 14.7
fastest 5spd v6 Camry 14.8

Maxima Supercharger = Yes
Camry Supercharger = Yes

Maxima Superchager with Factory Warranty intact? = no
Camry Supercharger with factory Warranty intact? = yes

Nissan Offical Aftermarket Parts = not in US
Toyota Offical Aftermarket Parts = yes (TRD)

both cars are pretty much evenly matched on performance.. its personal prefference on which one you want.. alot of you guys can say negative things about a camry.. but guess what.. thats what other people say about the maxima.. its just purely ignorance..

the way i see it.. if you can wait .. wait.. if you can't.. get hte camry.. if you don't mind a camry ... get one.. its a great car and it has the backing of Toyota behind it.. thats one thing maxima's can never have on a Camry.. and thats TRD..

i waited 4 months for my car.. i had certain requirments.. it had to be White, had to be a 97 .. had to be a 5spd.. and had to have black interior.. after owning my Gold 95 5spd.. i wasn't too happy with it becaues i never got what i wanted.. so i waited.. and now i have it i am happy.. so if you dont' mind.. then wait.. if you do mind.. then get the camry.. just keep in mind maxima's have sh!tty resale value so you will get a better bang for the buck.. probably get a 99 5spd for $10000.. Camry v6's and Accord v6's 99 model's are still 14 - 16k
Sorry to say it but Camry resale isnt that great, i am seeing comparable years to the Max and they are going at or even less than the Max, now the Accord thsts another story. One reason for the accord is that they dont have many or any if that manner(fleet sales) whereas the Camry and very few Maximas do, fleet sales hurt resale value.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Sorry to say it but Camry resale isnt that great, i am seeing comparable years to the Max and they are going at or even less than the Max, now the Accord thsts another story. One reason for the accord is that they dont have many or any if that manner(fleet sales) whereas the Camry and very few Maximas do, fleet sales hurt resale value.
are these v6 camry prices vs maxima prices?

or just camry prices? because the I4's start way less than the maxima
Old 10-01-2002, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE

Try again, I bet you're not comparing a v6 camry to a max. Go on kbb.com, and even try this- compare an INFINITI I30 to a comparable Camry (region, tranny, miles, year, options etc) and the INFINITI only comes out a few hundred dollars more then the cam. Now, do it again and with the max and see what happens.
Old 10-01-2002, 12:05 PM

are these v6 camry prices vs maxima prices?

or just camry prices? because the I4's start way less than the maxima
These are V6 Le's and Xle's I am looking now in the Dallas paper at them Camry's resale isnt that great and compared to its arch rival Accord very bad. Also it is just way too many Camry's on the road just like Accords of all generations. I see at least a couple of each(Accord and Camry of all generations) at every stop light whereas the Max I dont nearly as many. What do they outsell the Max like 4 to 1 or so.
Old 10-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nealoc187

1) The camry has had a 3.0L 194 hp V6 since 1992, upped to 200hp in recent years. Thats MORE than the 4th gen geniuses... oh yeah and they have more torque too.

2) The camry IS available in 5spd with the V6 since 1997, though they are pretty rare. It and the 2dr Solara all have a V6 w/ 5spd option.
Actually, the Camry V6 5-speed was available way back in 1992, when it was paired with the old iron block 3VZ-FE (185hp/195lb-ft). It was available on the SE model. In '94 they introduced the new aluminum 1MZ-FE (same V6 in the current Camry) rated 188hp/203, and deleted the 5-sp SE model. In '97 the V6 hp was increased to 194/209, and reintroduced the 5sp V6 on the CE model.

24 Valve V6's signature
'98 Toyota Camry LE V6 5-speed
194hp@5200RPM
214ft-lbsTQ@4000RPM

Please dont ask to race me,I'll lose!
uhh... the 5 sp was NEVER offered on the LE V6.
Old 10-01-2002, 02:48 PM

funny enough so are our cars i think the fact that 46% of the owners on this site are manual tranny owners makes it seem a bit differnt .. but we are still only 5% of the production population

very well said...but i think that's a testament to us and the cars we drive. people here buy 5 speed maximas because they're reasonably fast, fun to drive, decent looking, yet functional cars that you can actually take on a weekend trip with more than 2 people. i think it's safe to say most people here (and driving maximas in general) don't buy the 5 speed for cost or fuel economy, we buy them for sport, UNLIKE our compadres in accords and camrys.

furthermore, has anyone besides me shopped for a used 5 speed maxima these days? i looked for almost a year before i found mine! they're rare, and the sellers know this. in my market (memphis) they all go for top-dollar with little or no leeway for bargaining due to the high demand/low supply. every look for a 5 speed camry or accord? they're a dime a dozen.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Smooth Operator

uhh... the 5 sp was NEVER offered on the LE V6.
uhh... yes it was. I have one. If you don't believe it, just ask glok what trim his V6 5-speed is.

As for aftermarket support, there is the TRD/Kazuma supercharger which gets the total output to around 246hp.

As for the peeps who say the Max is way faster than the Camry, I totally see your point. afterall we're comparing a sports sedan to a grocery getter. a 10 best V6 engine vs. an average aluminum engine.
and finally a "4 door sports car" to a "Damnit honey, why didn't we get a sports car instead of this box?!?"
Old 10-01-2002, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by 24 Valve V6

uhh... yes it was. I have one. If you don't believe it, just ask glok what trim his V6 5-speed is.

As for aftermarket support, there is the TRD/Kazuma supercharger which gets the total output to around 246hp.

As for the peeps who say the Max is way faster than the Camry, I totally see your point. afterall we're comparing a sports sedan to a grocery getter. a 10 best V6 engine vs. an average aluminum engine.
and finally a "4 door sports car" to a "Damnit honey, why didn't we get a sports car instead of this box?!?"
no need to worry homey.. you got some max owners here who got your back
Old 10-01-2002, 07:34 PM

Hi, I'm one of the guys that is an ex-owner of a Camry and now have a sweet Maxima. In GENERAL, the Maxima is a faster car and has a few more goodies compared to the Camry. However, the Camry is a damn solid car (structurally as well as build quality) especially if you stick with the gen 3 (92-96). The gen 4s were a little cheapified. I'm not sure what the deal is with the gen 5 yet.

Many other people made a lot of valid points here in terms of aftermarket support and stuff. Toyota has TRD, but Maximas have a larger aftermarket I think.

Whichever way you go, good luck with your decision and feel free to e-mmail me with any specific questions. I had quite an extensive knowledge on Camrys and had quite a bit of work done to my car and had a lot on the backburner before I switched and got the Maxima.
Old 10-01-2002, 10:30 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 24 Valve V6

I did a little search online and came across this camry fan page:
http://www.camryman.org/camgen4.htm
"Camryman" "confirms" that the V6 5sp was available only on CEs during the 97-98 model years and on LEs during the 99-00.

This was refereced by Carpoint's 98 Camry Specs and Carpoint's 99 Camry Specs

I will concede that there are LE-V6 5sp models. My my info was based on the '97 Camry brochure I picked up when I was shopping for cars (my mom didn't pick out my Maxima and pay for it - my dad didn't either ). I still have the brochure and it lists the CE V6 as the only manual transmission model. LE V6 had automatics standard.

At any rate this is a very interesting thread.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:00 PM

I understand how people say the max looks nicer etc, but I hate when people say that the camry engine sucks and is not and can not be fast. It seems to me that these people have no idea about camry engines because all they do is spend their times studying their cars. Bottom line, with money, you can make any car fast. I agree I like the look of the max better, but camrys are quick, and one of the most reliable cars if not the most reliable you can by. I just hate some of the ignorance on this site. Do some research! Goodluck man
Old 10-02-2002, 08:31 AM

Old 10-02-2002, 08:41 AM

BTW here is what Car and Driver had to say about each...

(these are both automatics, no tests on the camry 5 spd v6)

97 Camry CE Sdn C&D
3.0 V-6/4A
0-60 s. 7.00
Top Speed, mph 131.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 186.00
Skidpad, g 0.81

98 Nissan Maxima SE Sdn C&D
3.0 V-6/4A
0-60, s. 8.20
Top Speed, mph 127.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 202.00
Skidpad, g 0.79

Damn the camry is so much slower and handles so much worse. Why oh why did i buy it?

Old 10-02-2002, 08:42 AM
Administrator

http://www.legacytuning.com/slips/ pretty much says it all.. Thank you all and have a good night
Old 10-02-2002, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by gLok

97 Camry CE Sdn C&D
3.0 V-6/4A
0-60 s. 7.00
Top Speed, mph 131.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 186.00
Skidpad, g 0.81

3.0 V-6/4A
0-60, s. 8.20
Top Speed, mph 127.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 202.00
Skidpad, g 0.79

Damn the camry is so much slower and handles so much worse. Why oh why did i buy it?

so yo udid an engine swap? is this a diff engine? or just a built motor?
Old 10-02-2002, 09:11 AM

3.0 V-6/4A
0-60, s. 8.20
Top Speed, mph 127.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 202.00
Skidpad, g 0.79
Mag Racing (Edit: This is a manual, but as an auto driver, I can personally vouch that every number you have doesn't apply to my car)

That's not what my Car and Driver says.

Performance: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . new . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 40,000 miles
Zero to 60 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.7 sec . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.6 sec

Zero to 100 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18.6 sec . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18.5 sec
Zero to 120 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 31.5 sec . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 31.6 sec

Street start, 5-60 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.2 sec . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 7.0 sec
Standing 1/4-mile . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15.3 sec . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15.2 sec

92 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 93 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 187 ft . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 177 ft

Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.75 g . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.80 g
Top speed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 137 mph . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 140 mph
Old 10-02-2002, 09:31 AM

97 Camry CE Sdn C&D
3.0 V-6/4A
0-60 s. 7.00
Top Speed, mph 131.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 186.00
Skidpad, g 0.81

3.0 V-6/4A
0-60, s. 8.20
Top Speed, mph 127.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 202.00
Skidpad, g 0.79

Hye gLok... long time no see... but this time I'm on the other side of the fence.

You as well as I both know very well that an auto Camry does NOT do 0-60 in 7.0 sec! Come on now! Secondly, a 97 Camry would be fairer to compare to a 95-96 Maxima due to weight issues and the numbers for a 95-96 are slightly different from the 97-99 Maxima. That said, I know you did a 14.7 bone stock (with a headlight out of course). I did a 14.9 bone stock (with my headlight in, and my second visit to the track in my life after driving a standard for 3 weeks).

Bottomline is, as far as performance, some cars off the production line are a bit better and some a bit worse; but on average the Camry and the Maxima are about the same when it comes to performance, with the edge in quality going to Camry and the edge in performance going to Maxima. Looks are subjective.

Aren't you guys tired of beating this horse dead so many times... horses now have 9-lives too!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:40 AM

Oh one more bottomline... there are more guys running high 14s and low 15s with bone stock Maximas than Camrys. I believe that Tiem and gLok are the only Camrys to have done it. But there are a TON of Maximas that have done it.

This is all coming from me, who used to LOVE my Camry and would defend it to death, but not to the point where I'm blind and unreasonable. But there is a reason I spent the extra money for a 95 Maxima SE 5-spd over a sweet low mileage 5-spd Camry a few months ago.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by speedemn
Oh one more bottomline... there are more guys running high 14s and low 15s with bone stock Maximas than Camrys. I believe that Tiem and gLok are the only Camrys to have done it. But there are a TON of Maximas that have done it.

This is all coming from me, who used to LOVE my Camry and would defend it to death, but not to the point where I'm blind and unreasonable. But there is a reason I spent the extra money for a 95 Maxima SE 5-spd over a sweet low mileage 5-spd Camry a few months ago.
but Kev and Tiem are probably the most well known Camry enthusiasts out there.. doesn't mean others havn't done so
Old 10-02-2002, 10:22 AM

Yeah, but there are a few THOUSAND Maxima nuts on this site. Now compare that to the handful of Camry guys out there. If two guys with Camry's get 14's out of a handful then that says a lot about the car, because there are hardly any of these cars around to begin with. Weren't only 5000 produced from 97-01?
Old 10-02-2002, 10:24 AM

gLok,

. Long time no see either.

oooh...I see you've got boost now!

There are also some "Camry's can't do 14's" disbelievers at AccordV6.com as well. I posted up some one of your slips and they shutup
Old 10-02-2002, 10:40 AM

Het SteVTEC, lets see a dyno chart of the V6 Camry vs. the 4th gen!
Old 10-02-2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
Yeah, but there are a few THOUSAND Maxima nuts on this site. Now compare that to the handful of Camry guys out there. If two guys with Camry's get 14's out of a handful then that says a lot about the car, because there are hardly any of these cars around to begin with. Weren't only 5000 produced from 97-01?
Oh don't get me wrong. I'm not at all anti-Camry... I'm all pro-Camry. There was a time when I argued that a Camry with a 3S-GTE swap would be capable of beating 5.0 V8s! Sure my judgement might have been a bit skewed... but I know potential when I see it.

But you guys just proved my point too... there is no "better" car between the two. They are pretty much the same, with a slight bit of emphasis on different aspects of each vehicle.

Now, everyone who does own a Maxima here, I'm sure had the option of getting a Camry too... and vice versa on the Camry forums. Everyone has their reasons for going one way or another but you can't go wrong either way.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:01 AM

so yo udid an engine swap? is this a diff engine? or just a built motor?
Whats going on man?!

I hydrolocked my motor and threw a 27k mile Solara motor in it. Then i blew that motor after 200 miles because the person who had the Solara never changed the oil (shouldve known because it had a Toyota factory filter on it!!!!) and the motor was full of sludge. I just blew the rings on it thank god. Now i got my old motor worked a little and im building it as soon as my rings, bearings and gaskets arrive. Im building the bottom end but its gonna take a while for the new rods and pistons to come in so im just gonna put those into the sludged up block. Its pretty confusing At least i got an air compressor now so i dont have to do all the work with hand tools.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:06 AM

Hye gLok... long time no see... but this time I'm on the other side of the fence.

You as well as I both know very well that an auto Camry does NOT do 0-60 in 7.0 sec! Come on now! Secondly, a 97 Camry would be fairer to compare to a 95-96 Maxima due to weight issues and the numbers for a 95-96 are slightly different from the 97-99 Maxima. That said, I know you did a 14.7 bone stock (with a headlight out of course). I did a 14.9 bone stock (with my headlight in, and my second visit to the track in my life after driving a standard for 3 weeks).

Bottomline is, as far as performance, some cars off the production line are a bit better and some a bit worse; but on average the Camry and the Maxima are about the same when it comes to performance, with the edge in quality going to Camry and the edge in performance going to Maxima. Looks are subjective.

Aren't you guys tired of beating this horse dead so many times... horses now have 9-lives too!
You made a good choice, at least the Maxima has a good fuel system that can actually be modded. We are stuck with the single fuel line crap.

I ran a 14.77 with an intake, eibachs, cf hood and a short shifter. I did it on stock clutch, stock 15" all weather tires and just the spare tire and jack out. I have never run without my headlight, that was Tiem and he ran a 14.9 with that as the only mod then a 14.8 with TRD exhaust which gives no gains over stock.

I'll admit, 4th gen Maximas are slightly faster because they are lighter, hence the faster mph and more 14 second times. Plus there arent many guys that are serious about drag racing their cars like you guys are. I like both cars and my decision to get a Camry had to do with local dealers only. The Nissan dealer was really ****ty to me and i got an incredible deal on my car. Id take either though.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
gLok,

. Long time no see either.

oooh...I see you've got boost now!

There are also some "Camry's can't do 14's" disbelievers at AccordV6.com as well. I posted up some one of your slips and they shutup
Whats up! I always lurk these boards heheheeee (evil laugh)

Right now im not boosted at all! Waiting to get my motor back together and break it in, then i can put it back on. It sucks, i got all these kids who call me out now that im N/A, they didnt say **** before lol.

Once my built bottom end is done, it will be more fun. One good thing about my motor is that its solid deck and has 4 bolt mains with 2 additional side bolts holding the maincaps. Its just asking to be built and boosted. All these turbo Maximas have really caught my eye, i knew thats what these 3.0 V6s really wanted, intercooled boost. Since i have a spare motor sitting in my garage, i can build a turbo manifold while its on the stand. If i didnt have to rebuild this motor then i would definetly have started it already.

Im also considering throwing one of the spare motors into a 91-up MR2, it pretty much bolts in and it would be nice to get rid of my car payments and have RWD. We'll what happens.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Whats going on man?!

I hydrolocked my motor and threw a 27k mile Solara motor in it. Then i blew that motor after 200 miles because the person who had the Solara never changed the oil (shouldve known because it had a Toyota factory filter on it!!!!) and the motor was full of sludge. I just blew the rings on it thank god. Now i got my old motor worked a little and im building it as soon as my rings, bearings and gaskets arrive. Im building the bottom end but its gonna take a while for the new rods and pistons to come in so im just gonna put those into the sludged up block. Its pretty confusing At least i got an air compressor now so i dont have to do all the work with hand tools.
i am here..

yeah it sounds a bit confusing but it makes sense at the same time..
Old 11-23-2002, 06:43 PM
Carpe Diem....

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gLok
[B]BTW here is what Car and Driver had to say about each...

97 Camry CE Sdn C&D
3.0 V-6/4A
0-60 s. 7.00
Top Speed, mph 131.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 186.00
Skidpad, g 0.81

3.0 V-6/4A
0-60, s. 8.20
Top Speed, mph 127.00
70-0 Braking, ft. 202.00
Skidpad, g 0.79

That 0-60 mph time is very questionable. I killed one with max from a light. It was my boy's girlfriends with only 40k+ miles. I had 50k+ miles. I had her from the start to the finish and i even pulled a little toewards the end. The race had to be a little over 1/4 mile. She thought she could beat me as well. The car was a v6 auto as well. You can't believe everything you read. 0-60, 8.2 sec in a 98 atuo max, that's got to be the funniest **** i've heard all night. Now i see why people underestimate the max.
Old 11-23-2002, 07:01 PM

seems like those numbers should be reversed....7.0 for the max and 8.2 for the cam.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well im the guy that started this whole thing and i never thought it would end up being over 5 pages long. oh well. i ended up getting a 1999, Black, Solara (yea i know it isnt one of the original choices) SE V6 with black leather and power everything including sunroof. It has around 23,000 miles and put me back a little under 13 grand. not too bad if u ask me. it handles nice and has LOTS of room in the back. plus it came with 16" konig stalkers. oh yea, its a 5-speed. anyway, it was kinda fun to read all of the pages. thanks for all the input, even if it was only arguing. bya