4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5spd owners: Question on rolling and shifting to reverse...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 11:45 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

5spd owners: Question on rolling and shifting to reverse...

I have been wanting to ask this question forever, both me and my friends 5 spd when the car is slowing rolling (I mean less than 2mph), when put into reverse from neutral, it grins??? But when I drive other manuals it doesn't do that?? Is there a reason why our Max do that??
By the way it is when its rolling backwards...
Old 10-17-2002, 11:53 PM
Sports Button FTW

i have only did that to two different cars and got similar responses...a corolla with a heavily used clutch, it made a nasty grind sound and with my car with a new ACT clutch. before it was broken in, it didn't make a noise just felt funny but when clutch was broken in, it made a little nasty sound...its just not good

with auto's, u can do this with no problems and not hear anything although i know it hurts the tranny, but u can't go in drive and throw it in reverse or you will kill the trans bad and get a bad noise

in manuals, u can be going in reverse then throw it in first and have no problems with noises or anything, this u can't do with auto or it makes nasty sound...
Old 10-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: 5spd owners: Question on rolling and shifting to reverse...

Originally posted by jcy98maxse
I have been wanting to ask this question forever, both me and my friends 5 spd when the car is slowing rolling (I mean less than 2mph), when put into reverse from neutral, it grins??? But when I drive other manuals it doesn't do that?? Is there a reason why our Max do that??
The reason why you grind when you are shifting into reverse while the car is still rolling is that the reverse gear in our 5spds does not have a synchro. You must stop completely before you shift into reverse. If you have a hard time shifting into reverse, just release and depress the clutch pedal then shift into reverse again.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by meccanoble
i have only did that to two different cars and got similar responses...a corolla with a heavily used clutch, it made a nasty grind sound and with my car with a new ACT clutch. before it was broken in, it didn't make a noise just felt funny but when clutch was broken in, it made a little nasty sound...its just not good

with auto's, u can do this with no problems and not hear anything although i know it hurts the tranny, but u can't go in drive and throw it in reverse or you will kill the trans bad and get a bad noise

in manuals, u can be going in reverse then throw it in first and have no problems with noises or anything, this u can't do with auto or it makes nasty sound...
I know what you mean, sometimes its not quite to the pint that its grinding a gear but it seems like its vibrates the shifter like its stuck with the gate or the synchros... I just want to see if this was happenings to you guys.
I never do that now, after of course when I first got my car.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:00 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

I see... thanx
Old 10-18-2002, 02:45 AM

Re: 5spd owners: Question on rolling and shifting to reverse...

Originally posted by jcy98maxse
do yourself a favor, and don't do it! really not good for the car(obviously)
Old 10-18-2002, 03:23 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Re: Re: 5spd owners: Question on rolling and shifting to reverse...

Originally posted by maximamoose

do yourself a favor, and don't do it! really not good for the car(obviously)
I haven't but I wanted to know why this happens...
I only had this car since March and I haven't done it since the first week I got it. Recently, my buddy got a 5 spd also. He did this by accident and asked me why, so i thought I post something on it...
Old 10-18-2002, 06:27 AM
I am Roid Rage

I can shift into reverse while moving in my Bimmer but I can’t in my Max. It really gets me when I’m switching back and forth between cars. Never fails that I grind the gears in a public place and everybody looks at me like I just learned how to drive stick.