4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replace or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 05:17 PM

Replace or not?

This past weekend I was cleaning out my throttle body. I had disconnect everything and reinstalled. Problem is that, The MAFS clip wasn't put on tightly and came off in mid drive.(dayum).. No one to blame but myself. Anyways, so I coasted down hill and stoped at a gas station where I quickly saw the problem. But when I went to start up the car, check engine light came on.
I checked codes and got MAFS and Knock Sensor. Should I just reset my ecu and forget about it, Or did I really damage these parts? MAFS is easy to replace. I read up on Knock Sensor in my Haynes manual and it looks like to much crap to remove. It's telling me to remove upper and lower intake manifold. Disconnect electrical connector from sensor and remove retaining bolt and sensor from engine block. Seems pretty simple, but i'm feeling lazy these days . Can't I just get to it from the side instead of going this route?

Thanks,

NeL
Old 10-21-2002, 09:08 PM

What year is your car and how many miles? YOu could probably get away with resetting your ECU, but why would you take a chance at really messing up your ride? Most people are replacing their knock sensors at 50-60K+ that I've seen on the board. So, if you have that many miles, you'd might as well change it.
Old 10-21-2002, 09:48 PM

Are people's knock sensors really failing that soon? I would expect a knock sensor to last much longer than that, at least 100K.

Originally posted by dudevolley
What year is your car and how many miles? YOu could probably get away with resetting your ECU, but why would you take a chance at really messing up your ride? Most people are replacing their knock sensors at 50-60K+ that I've seen on the board. So, if you have that many miles, you'd might as well change it.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I myself forgot to hook up the MAF sensor. I got the CEL and just reset it. Why fix something thats not broken. Do not do it. How ever if you have cash lounging around then go on ahead and replace your knock sensor.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JAY25
I myself forgot to hook up the MAF sensor. I got the CEL and just reset it. Why fix something thats not broken. Do not do it. How ever if you have cash lounging around then go on ahead and replace your knock sensor.
If your knock sensor is out you'll know soon, it will retard your timing making you car feel sluggish, i know cause i just replaced mine about 3 days ago. BAD NEWS: IT IS A ***** to replace and it cost about 175 from nissan. Good News: you don't have to remove the manifolds if you either have A. Small hands, B. resilience. IF you don't remove the manifolds you will reck your hands doing it but it is possible and in the long run alot easy and DEFINITELY worth it.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:52 AM

heh same exact thing happened to me...except i had the intake all apart and started the car accidently....MAF and KS....after reassembling the intake, i just reset the ECU and the MAF code went away, but hte KS was still there, so i replaced that and all was well..

advice, dont follow whats in the haynes manual....you dont have to remove the manifolds, if your hands are small, or like cuts
Old 10-22-2002, 03:11 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

Seriously no cash to spend as of yet. I really don't want to replace this part. Car is running in excellent condition. I just messed up with the clip. I'll just reset it and hopefully nothing will happen.