4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CDRW's in Bose

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 02:08 PM

I know you can play cdr's in the bose system, and I am even getting away with the cheap green ones(won't work in a lot of stereos). Now my question is, can you use cdrw's? Most cd players won't let you, will the Bose in my '95se let me?
Old 12-25-2000, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I didn't think you could play audio at all from CDRWs... I may be wrong though. My DVD-CD drive won't even read them, I have to read them in my CDR.
Old 12-25-2000, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by hlh0501
I know you can play cdr's in the bose system, and I am even getting away with the cheap green ones(won't work in a lot of stereos). Now my question is, can you use cdrw's? Most cd players won't let you, will the Bose in my '95se let me?
i have a phillips magnavox and from
what they say the cdrw-s will only play in there brand player,,but the cdr-s play fine
Old 12-25-2000, 06:15 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Sure

I have 95 SE with Bose and play CD-R's all the time and also in a lot of other players. No problems. Only CD-R's though.
________
Peak Towers Condominium Pattaya

Last edited by dmbmaxima2k2; 09-04-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2000, 06:20 PM

Re: Sure

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88
I have 95 SE with Bose and play CD-R's all the time and also in a lot of other players. No problems. Only CD-R's though.
Yeah same here... CDRs play fine (I have the base system with the add-on CD player). I doubt CDRWs will play, I can't play them on anything but the drive I wrote them with.
Old 12-25-2000, 07:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My 99 SE-L can...

play CD-R's however it will not play CDRW's. My CD Writer gives me a warning when I am copying audio on CDRW's that it will only play in computers and not standard CD Players. Stefnee
Old 12-25-2000, 08:39 PM
nm

Originally posted by hlh0501
Some audio players support them (just like you don't need a writer to read CD-RW on your computer) but only the most recent ones and it would be marked on them as a feature. I extremely doubt that a 95 bose system would be able to play a cd-rw because I don't think they even existed in 95, I think they became availabe sometime in 97.
Old 12-25-2000, 09:09 PM
Lives in a 350Z

heh
there is no car out there that can read a CD-RW unless your system consist of a Computer CD-ROM...CD-RW are basically for data and backing up no audio out put what so ever. CD-R is the way to go for quality!
Old 12-25-2000, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by maximumsport
heh
there is no car out there that can read a CD-RW unless your system consist of a Computer CD-ROM...CD-RW are basically for data and backing up no audio out put what so ever. CD-R is the way to go for quality!
That's just not true maximumsport... CD-R's offer no increase in audio quality over CD-RW's. The data is the same, whether it's 44KHz/16-bit/Stereo audio files or **** .mpg's. If you burn an audio track on a CD-R and on a CD-RW, they will both sound *IDENTICAL*. The difference is that most audio CD players can't read CD-RW's because they're written differently (some space is used to allow deletion and addition of files), if your car CD player can read it, it will sound fine.

Justin
Old 12-26-2000, 07:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

CD-RW's won't work because most (all?) car stereo's look for a TOC (table of contents) at the beginning of the cd. The TOC only get's written when the CD is finalized, so that's why CD-R's have them and CD-RW's do not. If you're stuck with the CD-RW's and want to use them, most burning software will have an option to "finalize the disk" and that should put the TOC on it but at the same time you won't be able to re-write it.

Chris
Old 12-26-2000, 07:06 AM

heh
One other thing maximumsport, my stereo (not a computer) in my bedroom plays cdrw's perfect, so they are for audio output too, just so you know. It is very nice to be able to use cdrw's there, because I have a "my favorites" cd and just update it when I hear a new song I like.. wish I could do it in my max.
Old 12-26-2000, 10:17 AM
Klamath

The TOC isn't the issue of why certain CD players cannot read CD-RW discs, it's the reflective properties of the disc's pigment. It has a lower rate of reflection and requires a laser pickup with a far more sensitivity than most standard CD players. One can write a perfect redbook standard CD-Audio disc on a CD-RW disc, so the content of the disc is not an issue.

As for CD-RWs in the car, I have found that a number of aftermarket head units will play them with no problems, whatsoever. Pioneer, Aiwa, and quite a few of the newer Alpines go without a hitch, even if the disc has only a closed session rather than complete finalization. As for the Bose playing RWs, I highly doubt it. My Bose will occasionally choke on the cheapest of the cheap CDRs (generally the darker greens), so I cannot imagine it sucessfully reading the dull pigments of an RW disc.

Old 12-26-2000, 10:58 AM

to clean up this issue for once and all... some player wll take CD-RW and some won't most will require you to have a TOC for them to work. Its really random until somebody tries it, and even then it may be down to te way they burn it and what they burn it on. Nobody will ever win the argument about if they will or will not work. My opinion is that burnt correctly they will work perfectly.
Old 12-26-2000, 03:38 PM

I have the Bose system in my 99 and it won't play RW's either. My only suggestion is to take your favorite cd's that are on RW's and just copy them to a regular cd-R disc. I had to do that a couple of times and they work just fine now.
Old 12-26-2000, 06:56 PM

So then the final answer is no, CD-RWs will not work in the Bose CD player in the Max, but a properly formatted CD-R will. It's actually recommended by CD-RW manufactuers that ANY data that is to be shared between components or other computers be put on CD-R, because the reading/writing/TOC algorithm isn't/wasn't the same for all ReWritables.
Old 12-27-2000, 08:34 PM
THosie

Ya Ha...

heh
No... Aiwa makes an aftermarket deck that reads MP3's on CDRW and CDRS as well as audio CDR's and CDRW's... http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...CDCMP3&o=M&a=0

Old 12-27-2000, 08:37 PM

Re: Ya Ha...

Originally posted by THosie
heh
No... Aiwa makes an aftermarket deck that reads MP3's on CDRW and CDRS as well as audio CDR's and CDRW's... http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...CDCMP3&o=M&a=0

yeah, but we were talking about the CDRW in a stock system I have that AWIA system in my maxima >>