4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Am I wrong here???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 02:15 PM

Guys-
About 2 months ago I took my car to Mueler Tire to have the install my new tires and have the car aligned. They installed them on my Borbet rims and did a good job; I thought! I recently drove to Chicago and noticed the car was 'wandering' on the road and was shaking at 70mph. I took the car back to them today and told them about it.
You see...on Sat., XMas eve, I rotated the tires to see if it would help...it didn't and when I backed out of the garage there was a wheel weight on the floor!!!! It had popped off while I was cleaning the rims, I guess???
I went to pick the car up about 15min ago at the shop and the guy said "We can't keep balancing those tires on that car. Your rims are junk and won't hold a weight!!" Mind you I have Borbet Type E's in 16x7.5. I had them balanced there once before and they used crappy stick on weights and they flew off. Then he rebalanced them with 'hammer-on' weights on the inside of the rim and it was fine. Then I got the new tires.....now I am back to where I was with one weight on the floor and it shaking like a vibrator!
The moron tells me it's the wheels fault b/c they are desigend poorly and won't hold 'hammer-on' weights or stick on one. Further more he said he can't do anything unless I bought the rims there. I think hes wrong. I mean...he did the mount/balance/alignment. If he couldn't do it and have it last more than 100o miles he shouldn't have charged me for it....wouldn't you all agree? He should have said...'No, sir...I can't work on those rims b/c they won't hold weight..I am sorry but you will have to take it somewhere else."
Personally I think he is full of $hit and is mad b/c he can't get it right on the car. What should I do? I feel like writing/calling/emailing Mueler headquarters and filling them in on the event! Worst of all, he is now going to balance them one more time and if it doesn't work...tuff he said!

SHUMAX

Any input here???
Old 12-26-2000, 02:41 PM

He can balance them! I have Momo status wheels which do not have a lip and have to use stick on weights. They just have to clean the area where the put the weights. My tire shop uses brake cleaner to rid the area of any brake dust or road grime and then sticks them on. They stay on too! Take your situation above his head.
Old 12-26-2000, 04:23 PM

You said you drove to Chicago, so I assume you are at least remotly in the area. I don't know how close you are to Saint Charles, Illinois, but personally I'd suggest going to

Discount Tire
430 S. 2nd Street
St. Charles Il 60174
630-584-1277

It's off of route 31 in St. Charles. It might seem a little extreme, but I gurantee he will fix your problem at a reasonable price. I was refered to that place by a couple friends, and have been going there ever since. Actually first call him and ask about your problem, he'll tell you what the problem is, how he'll fix it, how much it will cost, and how long it will take. The owner's name is Matt Dowling.

-Nate
Old 12-26-2000, 04:45 PM

alllright.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am back in Cleveland now Anyway...I wish I could go 'higher' than this guy...he was the manager. I think I will call their headquarters and complain about it to them and see what happens!

I honestly think this guy is crazy and doesn't know what he is doing with cars! Oh well..I guess that is a bit broad of a generalization. However, you don't start insulting your customers with comments like that!

Thanks,
SHUMAX
Old 12-26-2000, 05:08 PM

exactly, all you gotta do is clean the rim with brake cleaner & stick on weight will work fine.. If tthey're really stubborn then racing (duct) tape will definitely do the trick. That's how we do it on our formula cars at Skip Barber. If it'll work on our ancient rims it'll work on any.. That guy is just an Ahole