4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 01:29 PM

Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Anyone know if this can be replaced without having a whackload of oil dumped out during the process?
Old 11-04-2002, 01:57 PM

Re: Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Originally posted by StygianMax
Anyone know if this can be replaced without having a whackload of oil dumped out during the process?
I did it with a full pan; lost about 4 ounces of oil (it was a bit warm!), but I suspect it was because the front was up on jackstands and the rear was not.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I replaced mine when I changed my oil, but I imagine it can be done without an oil change as long as you top off your oil. I change filters without losing too much oil, so the OPS should lose less oil than that.
-hype
Old 11-04-2002, 02:42 PM

Thx for the info guys!
Old 11-10-2002, 03:19 AM

Re: Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Did you use the dreaded search ? Think that Daniel B had some info on this. I know that my OEM sensor was the source of a leak and I changed it out. Very easy procedure, think I just needed a large socket. Bought a new sensor for around $6 at Pep Boys and no more leak. Think that Dan B said to stay away from the Nissan OEM as it is prone to failure....duh
Cheers
Old 11-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Re: Re: Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Originally posted by zagato27

Did you use the dreaded search ? Think that Daniel B had some info on this. I know that my OEM sensor was the source of a leak and I changed it out. Very easy procedure, think I just needed a large socket. Bought a new sensor for around $6 at Pep Boys and no more leak. Think that Dan B said to stay away from the Nissan OEM as it is prone to failure....duh
Cheers
Search??? Huh??? j/k!!! Yes, I did search but didn't have much luck in finding details specfically about whether the OPS can be changed w/o draining oil first (while doing an oil change). I was just wanting to find out how much oil might come out but not the process of the OPS replacement.

Thx bud.
Old 11-10-2002, 02:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Search??? Huh??? j/k!!! Yes, I did search but didn't have much luck in finding details specfically about whether the OPS can be changed w/o draining oil first (while doing an oil change). I was just wanting to find out how much oil might come out but not the process of the OPS replacement.

Thx bud.
As I recall when I replaced mine I didn't lose any oil. No, you don't have to drain the oil to do this job. Just remove the switch and replace. Easy job on a lift.
Cheers
Old 11-10-2002, 05:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Originally posted by zagato27

As I recall when I replaced mine I didn't lose any oil. No, you don't have to drain the oil to do this job. Just remove the switch and replace. Easy job on a lift.
Cheers

Can you replace the OPS without any lift/jacks/ramps? I don't have access to any of them and would like to do it myself. Also, what is the best (not prone to failure) brand of OPS out there and how much would they go for?

Thanks

Gange
Old 11-10-2002, 07:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replacing Oil Pressure Sensor

Originally posted by The Gange

Can you replace the OPS without any lift/jacks/ramps? I don't have access to any of them and would like to do it myself. Also, what is the best (not prone to failure) brand of OPS out there and how much would they go for?

Thanks

Gange
Ok, I had some spare time so I'm doing your work. Here's the link
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ressure+switch

Here's the info that you wanted:

Replacing a defective Oil Pressure Switch

This is a common problem in 3rd and 4th generation Maximas, the Oil Pressure Switch (a.k.a. Oil Pressure Sending Unit) can allow some oil to leak out and onto the bottom of your oil pan and the surrounding areas. Yet very little, if any, oil consumption could be noticed.

Special thanks to member Daniel B. Martin for this quick how-to right up and part information

Part Information:

PartsAmerica.Com lists a replacement Oil pressure switch, AC Delco #E1818 for $8 + shipping. You can probably buy this item at any auto parts chain store for about that amount.

In addition, here are other part numbers which are available through carparts.com (for all 89 to 99 Maximas):

AC DELCO #E1818 $7.16
BECK/ARNLEY #201-1350 $6.13
BORG WARNER #S4018 $8.05

Additional tip:

I would not recommend Nissan's OEM part, unless the dealer is replacing it for free as it has a real poor track record for early failure. All 3 Maximas I have worked on have needed one, 2 of them at a real early mileage (less than 20k).

How do you replace the OPS?

Replacing the OPS is a job which can be done by the home mechanic. Raise the front of the vehicle and support it on sturdy jackstands. Slide under. The OPS is easy to see and reach. It is "just around the corner" from the oil filter, in the rear face of the block. Peel back the protective rubber boot. Press and wiggle to disconnect the electrical connector from the OPS. You may use a special sending unit socket such as Blackhawk #30634S or ordinary 12-point 1-inch deep socket such as Craftsman #47531 to unscrew the OPS. A few ounces of engine oil will dribble out, not much of a problem. You can do the whole job in half an hour, including cleanup time.

The torque spec for the Oil pressure switch is 9-13 foot-pounds. I would not bother with a torque wrench, just snug it up. My FSM does not call for sealant. I'm looking at the '99 Maxima FSM, page EM-13.

One correction made by ericdwong was to use a 1 1/16" deep socket to get the OPS off.....

Search is really your friend you just have to be patient and persistent.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:24 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

good info here!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:42 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

inputs please

to the guys who had maxes with leaking sensors , how much oil were you losing? also can this leak be easily confused/mistaken with a front main bearing oil seal leak?

i took a look under my car and im losing oil at an alarming rate.. a friend of mine said it might be the front seal.

when i looked under the car the white nylon looking plug seemed to be the culprit. i disconnected the plug and just the white part was left in the block . slowly oil started to seep from it.

also i see everyone says not replace with an oem sensor. TIA
Old 05-05-2003, 05:55 PM

Re: inputs please

Originally posted by nismo2020
to the guys who had maxes with leaking sensors , how much oil were you losing? also can this leak be easily confused/mistaken with a front main bearing oil seal leak?

i took a look under my car and im losing oil at an alarming rate.. a friend of mine said it might be the front seal.

when i looked under the car the white nylon looking plug seemed to be the culprit. i disconnected the plug and just the white part was left in the block . slowly oil started to seep from it.

also i see everyone says not replace with an oem sensor. TIA
Yes, I replaced mine. Piece of cake. I agree about going with a replacement of anything BUT the OEM. Think that DB Martin had a good write up on this with a diagram and instructions. Mine wasn't leaking a lot...just made a small spot/couple of drips on the driveway but elected to replace it. Now, no leaks. I think that the part was about $7 at Pep Boys. Here are the instructions:

Replacing a defective Oil Pressure Switch

This is a common problem in 3rd and 4th generation Maximas, the Oil Pressure Switch (a.k.a. Oil Pressure Sending Unit) can allow some oil to leak out and onto the bottom of your oil pan and the surrounding areas. Yet very little, if any, oil consumption could be noticed.

Special thanks to member Daniel B. Martin for this quick how-to right up and part information

Part Information:

PartsAmerica.Com lists a replacement Oil pressure switch, AC Delco #E1818 for $8 + shipping. You can probably buy this item at any auto parts chain store for about that amount.

In addition, here are other part numbers which are available through carparts.com (for all 89 to 99 Maximas):

AC DELCO #E1818 $7.16
BECK/ARNLEY #201-1350 $6.13
BORG WARNER #S4018 $8.05

Additional tip:

I would not recommend Nissan's OEM part, unless the dealer is replacing it for free as it has a real poor track record for early failure. All 3 Maximas I have worked on have needed one, 2 of them at a real early mileage (less than 20k).

How do you replace the OPS?

Replacing the OPS is a job which can be done by the home mechanic. Raise the front of the vehicle and support it on sturdy jackstands. Slide under. The OPS is easy to see and reach. It is "just around the corner" from the oil filter, in the rear face of the block. Peel back the protective rubber boot. Press and wiggle to disconnect the electrical connector from the OPS. You may use a special sending unit socket such as Blackhawk #30634S or ordinary 12-point 1-inch deep socket such as Craftsman #47531 to unscrew the OPS. A few ounces of engine oil will dribble out, not much of a problem. You can do the whole job in half an hour, including cleanup time.

The torque spec for the Oil pressure switch is 9-13 foot-pounds. I would not bother with a torque wrench, just snug it up. My FSM does not call for sealant. I'm looking at the '99 Maxima FSM, page EM-13.

One correction made by ericdwong was to use a 1 1/16" deep socket to get the OPS off.....
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ressure+switch

Cheers
Old 05-05-2003, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: inputs please

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zagato27
[B]

Yes, I replaced mine. Piece of cake. I agree about going with a replacement of anything BUT the OEM.

Ooops . Sorry about double posting this info. I just received an update to this thread and forgot that I had responded. I'm bad. Cheers