4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just got an autostarter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 06:52 PM

Just got an autostarter

I bought autostarter and need to have it installed sometime - nice for NE winters. Anyway, don't you need the clutch in to start?
Old 11-10-2002, 06:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You can get a clutch-bypass kit but you can never leave your car in gear when you park it again. And some people think they're too dangerous.
-Cyrus
Old 11-10-2002, 07:05 PM

I have to buy a clutch by-pass kit now? (I can't leave it in gear - that would be ugly!)
Old 11-10-2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Nismo82
I have to buy a clutch by-pass kit now? (I can't leave it in gear - that would be ugly!)
you don't have to buy the clutch by pass kit, the switch that you have to bypass is located on the bottom of the clutch pedal travel, just go there and you can see there is a switch that gets pressed when the pedal is all the way at the bottom, just disingage that switch and by pass it w/ some wire

on a second note, you should not warm up the engine, that is bad for it, at most you should wait 30 seconds and drive the car, you want the whole part of the parts to warm up at the same rate, and the only way you can do this is by driving it right away,

unfortunatly what is good for the car isn't as comfortable for you

K
Old 11-10-2002, 10:59 PM

the clutch bypass...? i know that make a neutral gate, it around $100 i think. i have a 5spd and i rigged a button in my cup holder area that i have to press in order for me to be able to remote start. just in case i'm feeling stupid, i don't want my max to run away from me.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:08 AM

if you're already in the car to push the button, why bother w/auto start?
Isn't there a neutral sensor? Like, how does cruise control know you're in neutral and won't engage cruise? There's gotta be something. I'll check my 96 Altima FSM...I know it's there somewhere!
Jae
Old 11-11-2002, 09:10 AM

i have to hit the switch on the way out of my car so that when i want ot auto start it later, the switch must be tripped, does anyone have a btter solution that is still safe.....the only other precaution i know of is the neutral gate
Old 11-11-2002, 09:12 AM

there is no such thing as a "clutch bypass kit" i belive you just jump that wire and you should be fine. Two of my friends did this on their 01' beetle and 02 celica. Just dont EVER leave your car in gear cause youll be running after it, lol

i know cause i had to chase down his Beetle one day in the parking lot... that was a site to see

Ant
Old 11-11-2002, 09:14 AM

I agree it is a bit dangerous, my friend brough my car over to where I was one day, I RS'd it, and it jumped the curb, freaked the crap outta me
Old 11-11-2002, 09:48 AM

I think I am going to have it installed because I don't know how to do it myself. I know I need the clutch in to start, so can that be disinguaged is what I wanted to know or can I not have one (Which I know is wrong) or do I have to buy something else?
ny96max, I have never heard of one either, does it exist?
and yeah, a button in the car defeats the purpose of haveing a starter.
I only want it to warn up in the morinig for a minute or 2 before I leave - That would be the Cat's @$$
SO - Does anyone with a 97-99 max 5 speed have an autostarter?
Old 11-11-2002, 11:37 AM

nevermind
Old 11-11-2002, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by munji
nevermind
nevermind what
Old 11-11-2002, 12:43 PM

SO - Does anyone with a 97-99 max 5 speed have an autostarter?
I do

And no I did not by a Clutch Kit, and know it will not start in gear, and no I do not have some switch in there that I need to flip... It is seamless. I am happy.

Anthony, the Maxima 5 speeds are equipped with a neutral safety switch in the ECU... Knowing about it, and knowing how to use it is your friend. I dunno about the Beetle and Celica, but I know that is definitely feasible to make the remote starter work correctly in the Maxima. I have done it twice now. Once on a 3rd gen, and my 4th.

-Del
Old 11-11-2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by delio

I do

And no I did not by a Clutch Kit, and know it will not start in gear, and no I do not have some switch in there that I need to flip... It is seamless. I am happy.

Anthony, the Maxima 5 speeds are equipped with a neutral safety switch in the ECU... Knowing about it, and knowing how to use it is your friend. I dunno about the Beetle and Celica, but I know that is definitely feasible to make the remote starter work correctly in the Maxima. I have done it twice now. Once on a 3rd gen, and my 4th.

-Del
Delio - don't you live in the Penn area too?
Haha
Old 11-11-2002, 02:16 PM

Wanna do a write up?
Old 11-11-2002, 02:37 PM
living out of a maxima...

Delio - don't you live in the Penn area too?
Haha
yeah, looking to make a few $$ of a remote-start install or two?
Old 11-11-2002, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM

yeah, looking to make a few $$ of a remote-start install or two?
Do you live in PA and want in install done too?
Old 11-11-2002, 02:43 PM
living out of a maxima...

Do you live in PA and want in install done too?
NJ, but that's pretty close.

Yeah I really want to do the remote start, but I'm not comfortable just bypassing the clutch switch. I like the idea of using the ECU neutral wire much better, but have not heard any detailed info on how to do this yet.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:48 PM

I live in NY.. about an hour away from the Delaware river end of Penn/NJ or about 45 minutes away from the GSP in the other direction.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by JeffesonM

NJ, but that's pretty close.

Yeah I really want to do the remote start, but I'm not comfortable just bypassing the clutch switch. I like the idea of using the ECU neutral wire much better, but have not heard any detailed info on how to do this yet.
I agree.
Delio - help, write up, make some cash install? I'm not far from PA/DE boarder and PA/NJ boarder too. (I thought you were from PA area for some reason)
JeffesonM - maybe write this up in NE forums in our area. See if anyone is willing, worth a try
Old 11-11-2002, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Vinipux

you don't have to buy the clutch by pass kit, the switch that you have to bypass is located on the bottom of the clutch pedal travel, just go there and you can see there is a switch that gets pressed when the pedal is all the way at the bottom, just disingage that switch and by pass it w/ some wire

on a second note, you should not warm up the engine, that is bad for it, at most you should wait 30 seconds and drive the car, you want the whole part of the parts to warm up at the same rate, and the only way you can do this is by driving it right away,

unfortunatly what is good for the car isn't as comfortable for you

K
Why is warming up the engine before driving it bad for the car?
Cold starts cause most damage to the engine because the oil is cold and thicker than normal. Starting the engine and dirving it without waiting for it to warm up is even worse. Your RPM's rise and the oil is still cold therefore causing more friction.
Your transmission operates at way lower temperatures than your engine, especially manual in the winter.
Dont't beat on your car when you first start driving it. Wait until it reaches normal operating temperature.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:17 PM

Auto Start

Just buy a Turbo and turbo timer.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by Rogo98SE

Why is warming up the engine before driving it bad for the car?
Cold starts cause most damage to the engine because the oil is cold and thicker than normal. Starting the engine and dirving it without waiting for it to warm up is even worse. Your RPM's rise and the oil is still cold therefore causing more friction.
Your transmission operates at way lower temperatures than your engine, especially manual in the winter.
Dont't beat on your car when you first start driving it. Wait until it reaches normal operating temperature.
well, what you are doing is talking two different things and applying one generalization for that

you are correct, cold starts do most damage right after the car has been turned over, BUT once the oil is circulating which shouldn't take more than 5-10 seconds for most cars (even w/ regular petroleum that's had 3k oil changes). after that the oil is flowing, if you wait for the engine to warm up until the "operating temperature" what happens is your tranny, whether it's manual/auto is cold, and it's sitting right on the hot engine, which is basically creating a hot/cold metals right next to each other. and a far but not too far stretch of that would be splashing cold water against a hot engine, it creates thermal stresses that are not favorable for the engine nor the tranny.

what happens when you start driving the car right away, the oil is already flowing, yes it's not as viscious as it is when it's hot, but it's flowing, and that's enough for the engine, and when you start driving right away it warms up every part of the car EVENLY, which is what you want. yes, if you start driving it at the red line it is bad, but for the most part auto will keep the rpms fairly low, and people with manual should also do same, and as long as the rpm's don't go past 3k-3.5k rpm. there is no harm done to the engine or anything else.

I hope that answers your question/concern.

K
Old 11-12-2002, 05:10 AM

Re: Auto Start

Originally posted by C3nthusiast
Just buy a Turbo and turbo timer.
yup! a decent autostarter will have a turbo timer. You set the alarm so when you remove the key, the car stays on for a specified time. That way, you're guaranteed to be in Neutral
for example:
1) Hit button on key fob
2) turn off ignition and remove key (engine still running)
3) leave car, shut doors, and arm
4) car turns off after 1min

5) return to car, hit autostart, car starts
6) as you walk up to your running car, hit alarm button and doors unlock (and pop open if you want)

Gonna go look up the neutral safety in the fsm now
Jae
Old 11-12-2002, 05:41 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....postid=1537268
Jae
Old 11-12-2002, 06:03 AM

I agree.
Delio - help, write up, make some cash install? I'm not far from PA/DE boarder and PA/NJ boarder too. (I thought you were from PA area for some reason)
JeffesonM - maybe write this up in NE forums in our area. See if anyone is willing, worth a try
DELOS is from PA... he has the white SC'd 4th gen, mine is Black and boosted.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux

well, what you are doing is talking two different things and applying one generalization for that

you are correct, cold starts do most damage right after the car has been turned over, BUT once the oil is circulating which shouldn't take more than 5-10 seconds for most cars (even w/ regular petroleum that's had 3k oil changes). after that the oil is flowing, if you wait for the engine to warm up until the "operating temperature" what happens is your tranny, whether it's manual/auto is cold, and it's sitting right on the hot engine, which is basically creating a hot/cold metals right next to each other. and a far but not too far stretch of that would be splashing cold water against a hot engine, it creates thermal stresses that are not favorable for the engine nor the tranny.

what happens when you start driving the car right away, the oil is already flowing, yes it's not as viscious as it is when it's hot, but it's flowing, and that's enough for the engine, and when you start driving right away it warms up every part of the car EVENLY, which is what you want. yes, if you start driving it at the red line it is bad, but for the most part auto will keep the rpms fairly low, and people with manual should also do same, and as long as the rpm's don't go past 3k-3.5k rpm. there is no harm done to the engine or anything else.

I hope that answers your question/concern.

K
Would you think that a Normal Operating Temperature of an engine would create a thermal stress when in conjunction with a cold Tranny?
I have never heard of that happening to anyone.
The most common problem with cars and termal stress is overheating the engine and brakes.
Temperature difference would need to be really high in order to create any problems.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by delio

DELOS is from PA... he has the white SC'd 4th gen, mine is Black and boosted.
My bad...
Old 11-21-2002, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....postid=1537268
Jae
Is that how to do an autostarter?

I just went to 2 car audio places in the past week and both said NO!!
I want one and have one in a box. How to do it, or who will?

(I need to get out of the gear habit quick)