4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to fix loose shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Sports Button FTW

how to fix loose shifting?

when i first got 190hpkilla's car, it was nice and stiff, shifting was real short (pascetter STS) and it felt like a BMW that wasn't broken in yet, something like that.

after letting a few people drive like the idiot i am and also testing the car out a little, it has gotten loose. When he gave me the car, in 3rd gear, if i tried to just wiggle the shifter while in gear, it wouldn't budge, just stay there, now it wiggles. when its in neutral, now it can make a small circle, but when he first gave it to me, it was nice and stiff. Driving is a little easier now because shifting is easier since everything is loose but i feel more comfortable wit it being stiff.

i talked to a few people and they say maybe the spring is worn out because of abuse or maybe the shifter isn't tight or the shifting rods maybe loose??? i'm not sure what it is, but maybe some of u have had loose shifting and may know what the solution may be...

I mean its still drivable and i'm not gonna cry and fight to fix this problem if it will cost me more than 20 bucks but if its a simple fix, then i'll attempt it. Thanks guys
Old 12-02-2002, 03:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

bump!
Old 12-02-2002, 06:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

you guys suck, someone help me
Old 12-02-2002, 09:35 PM
Sports Button FTW

ooook...i guess no one has fixed this problem....
Old 12-03-2002, 07:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by meccanoble
ooook...i guess no one has fixed this problem....
Mecca,

There are several through-bolts that connect the shift linkage to the shift lever and to the shifter yoke at the transmission. Get under the car and make sure those bolts have not come loose. There are also some plastic bushings that surround the bolts. If these have cracked and deteriorated, they will cause some slop. Also make sure the ball of the shift lever is seated nice and snug in its housing. You'll have to remove the console plastic and shifter boot to get at it.

Having taken a manual transmission apart, I really don't think it's anything inside the tranny that would cause this problem.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:50 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Mecca,

There are several through-bolts that connect the shift linkage to the shift lever and to the shifter yoke at the transmission. Get under the car and make sure those bolts have not come loose. There are also some plastic bushings that surround the bolts. If these have cracked and deteriorated, they will cause some slop. Also make sure the ball of the shift lever is seated nice and snug in its housing. You'll have to remove the console plastic and shifter boot to get at it.

Having taken a manual transmission apart, I really don't think it's anything inside the tranny that would cause this problem.
thanks, i know the ball u r talking about...so if its not in its place, just fix it? how do i know it is in the right place and how do i keep it in its right place?
Old 12-03-2002, 08:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by meccanoble

thanks, i know the ball u r talking about...so if its not in its place, just fix it? how do i know it is in the right place and how do i keep it in its right place?
The ball has a bushing that surrounds it, and the bushing is in a housing that is bolted down. Make sure that the housing bolts are still tight. If they are, then remove the housing and take a look at the bushing to make sure it's not deteriorated or come apart. The bushing consists of two halves that are screwed together (if I remember correctly).