4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

got beat by a GTP today

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by JdawgX
And let's stay off of the "piece of crap" argument. I see that it's tried to come up a couple of times already. That's not what this thread is about, it's about the speed and potential of both cars.
Yeah, and I hate to break it to all you american car haters, but they arent quite as unreliable as you'd like to think The same friend of mine that is a low 13 second car has over 100,000 miles and over 400 1/4 mile passes on his car, many on nittos, and the biggest thing to break on his car was a dash mounted dimmer switch I believe, a 9$ part. 4,000$ in work at 100,000 miles? WHat are you smoking?
Old 12-29-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by 5.0THIS

Yeah, and I hate to break it to all you american car haters, but they arent quite as unreliable as you'd like to think The same friend of mine that is a low 13 second car has over 100,000 miles and over 400 1/4 mile passes on his car, many on nittos, and the biggest thing to break on his car was a dash mounted dimmer switch I believe, a 9$ part. 4,000$ in work at 100,000 miles? WHat are you smoking?
The fact is, have u ever been inside one that had some miles on it, they sound like ****, everything rattles in them.....it could have been the one i was in, but it was gosh aweful annoying
Old 12-29-2002, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GTP is a nice looking car from ouside, inside it's a ****ty american car including the engine. It has a stock SC, but a Maxima will still last longer with even aftermarket one. U can stick SC in anything and it doesn't make it a good car.
Old 12-29-2002, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Kolyan
GTP is a nice looking car from ouside, inside it's a ****ty american car including the engine. It has a stock SC, but a Maxima will still last longer with even aftermarket one. U can stick SC in anything and it doesn't make it a good car.
IS there really this much ignorance at this sight... it never ceases to amaze me how many maxima owners think their cars are the best cars in the world. Why do you say the engine is ****ty, just because it has pushrods? it is a very simple engine, that has served well over the years for GM. there's nothing wrong with it, and it's got stronger internal parts than any maxima engine ever has. stock bottom ends on those cars can go well over 400 horsepower at the wheels, how many maximas can make that claim? A GTP motor will far outlast any maxima engine with forced induction, because the GTP motor was built for boost, the maxima engine wasnt. What's the matter Kolyan, have you been *** raped by one too many GTPs that had either no mods or maybe a 100$ pulley

Johnvt111: My friend's car with well over 100K on it and lots of passes is still very nice interior wise, I know many GTP owners and many maxima owners as well, and I'll agree that the maxima does have better fit and finish, but I dont think it's by the huge wide margin that most maxima owners tend to think it is. And BTW, it seems that amongst all the GTP and max owners I know, that the cars seem to hold up about the same with miles. But who knows, again like you said, maybe it's just the cars I see?
Old 12-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Well, I hate to break it to you, but that's pretty rare GTP your friend has there. Take a look at Consumer Reports and you'll see that the Grand Prix is covered in black dots and 1/2 black dots which means "below average" and "well below average". The Maxima on the otherhand is covered in red dots which means "well above average". The 4th gen Maxima is rated the most reliable car in it's class. Yes, even above the cherished Honda Accord and Toyota Camry.

I spend a lot of time over at ClubGP and it's accepted by the majority that 4T65E tranny is not up to the task of handling the power of the GTP, especially one with mods. Simply put, it's a ticking timebomb for most GTPs. Lots of other things go wrong with these cars like electrical gremlins, suspension and steering problems, and general QC problems. Yes, these cars rattle A LOT. Are they a POS car? No, but their not in the same class as the Maxima, relibilty wise speaking.

Dave
Old 12-29-2002, 04:45 PM

the one i raced was a 2002 and it was supercharged but the fact that he barely beat me should say sumthing, thanx for all the responses and i will be looking into intake and a y-pipe soon as i get some cash
Old 12-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by MaXimaDout95
Yeah GTP's are fast. I raced one in a SVT Contour and it hung with me. So there pretty fast. I think with a few mod's the Max can take it easy though...
Yes a 5 speed Max with intake can take a GTP.

Yes a 5 speed Max with intake can take a Contour SVT as well. He was right on my rear bumper tho. With this match...its all driver and the launch.

Now with my Y and catback...........I should get together again with them and run.

SHE has a smaller pulley on the GTP now tho. Yes I said She
Old 12-29-2002, 05:10 PM

GTP's are not complete peices of crap, but for you to say that the average GTP motor will outlast a maxima, even if the max is boosted is just ignorance on your part. my boss has a modded GTP, my aunt has a stock GTP, my mom has 2k GT and i have ridden in all except my boss's and i have a maxima. they are pretty well built cars, and are not that bad at all, but my aunt just sold hers cuz she cant afford the minor repairs all the time, my mom is selling hers (for a 2k2 max btw) because her whole rear suspension and allianment is messed up, (no accident) and my boss's is in good shape though. not saying they are bad cars, my moms has 90k miles, my aunt has 112k, and yes GTP's can make it up to 150k miles without blowing up, but most need thousands in work. and most maxima's around here with 100k-250k miles havnt spent much money so far on them, in repairs, but thats just my experience.
Old 12-29-2002, 06:47 PM

Let me correct myself....by saying "****ty engine" i mean the components that are under the hood. and if u look at reviews for maximas and GTPs u will see for yourself that the car falls apart, whereas no one will complain about 95-99 maximas. and it's funny when u say "it has over 100k", 200k+ is impressing...100k is a walk in the park for a well built car.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Kolyan
Let me correct myself....by saying "****ty engine" i mean the components that are under the hood. and if u look at reviews for maximas and GTPs u will see for yourself that the car falls apart, whereas no one will complain about 95-99 maximas. and it's funny when u say "it has over 100k", 200k+ is impressing...100k is a walk in the park for a well built car.
First of all, I know quite a few GTP owners that have VERY modded cars. All of them seem to be holding up just fine. Just like any car, you have to MAINTAIN it! The GTP doesn't do as well when not maintained compared to the Maxima. But if you maintain both equally then you'll find they're about the same.

And as far as the trannys go, the Max tranny sux! The factory couldn't seem to get the preload correct on the carrier bearings and now a lot of people have to replace those bearings. The auto tranny isn't up to holding much power over stock at all. It can be built to, but so can the GTP tranny.

These arguments are incredibly stupid. If you like your Maxima, great, good for you. If you like the GTPs, great, good for you. This thread isn't about which car you like more, or why you don't like one of the two, it was about a race with a GTP. Why don't we try to stay on topic here. If you want to bash the GTP then go and start a "GTP Bash Fest" thread or something to that affect.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:22 PM
SLOW

it's got stronger internal parts than any maxima engine ever has. stock bottom ends on those cars can go well over 400 horsepower at the wheels, how many maximas can make that claim? A GTP motor will far outlast any maxima engine with forced induction, because the GTP motor was built for boost, the maxima engine wasnt.

I agree that mindless car bashing is stupid, but I did have something to comment on. Now, I don't pretend to know what the 3.8SC engine is good for internally as far as power goes, but the opposite can also be said: Have you heard of a VQ that has been blown due too excessive power? I've heard of one... and that was on 18psi of boost. The fact is people don't blow these motors from power (fuel delivery yes, power, no). Its the fuel system that hampers us, not the strength of the internals.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:45 PM

true. the thread is not about what's better, and as i said, i like GPs, i was just trying to make a point that it's hard to compare an american car with japanese. most or all american sport cars are built with less quility, but with power due to V8s or SC.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by JdawgX

These arguments are incredibly stupid. If you like your Maxima, great, good for you. If you like the GTPs, great, good for you. This thread isn't about which car you like more, or why you don't like one of the two, it was about a race with a GTP. Why don't we try to stay on topic here. If you want to bash the GTP then go and start a "GTP Bash Fest" thread or something to that affect.
agreed
Old 12-29-2002, 11:56 PM
CaLSoNiC

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Yes a 5 speed Max with intake can take a GTP.
Thats not remotly true... I raped the guy off the line, had him all the way to 3rd gear then he just started pulling all the way to the finish.

Old 12-30-2002, 12:55 AM
JsL

Get a budget Ypipe for 158.xx shipped at thier site. Best bang for buck mod. Compliment it with an intake and you will feel bad that you were restricting your VQ in the past so much I'm not sure how fast GTPs are, but judging from what people are saying, it's a pretty fast car, so I don't know if you will be able to beat it. BUT, if you only lost by a little this time, if you get the intake and ypipe, you will win by a lot next time

P.S. How much does a SVT Contour weight and how much HP? 200hp from a V6?
Old 12-30-2002, 02:06 AM
Dev

Originally posted by DTR Maxima

well said, they are monsters but like dave said the majority of pulley, exhaust, intake, gtp's are mid to low 14's. rarely do they run low 13's with those mods. there i video that explains the low and high end thing on VQpower. a 2k2 6speed max with only intake, i/h/e/50shot civic and a GTP with pulley, exhaust, intake, all race. well needless to say the civic got burned, but from a roll the max pulled about 6 cars on the GTP but the next shot they run from a stop and the max is only like 1/2 a car ahead. but stock GTP's have had like 2 cars out of the 500,000 made run a mid 14 stock. i have raced a gtp 2 times, when i had only vb mod he beat me from a stop by like 4 cars, i reraced him with vb mod, intake, y-pipe, b-pipe and new tires and from a stop to about 100 i had about 1 car, from a roll like 40-100 i had about 3-4 cars (gtp was stock) but i wont deny that with $500 my friend can put his gtp in the mid 14's
i've seen this video as well.
if you didn't notice, the maxima driver was doing the honking, and got an obvious huge jump on the civic and GTP. you can hear his tires peel about 2 seconds ahead of the GTP. and the 6 cars is more like 2-3 cars.
and there are 500,000 cars built before 2 can run mid 14's?
this forum brags about 5spd max's having the edge on the GTP in the 1/4 mile? how many 4th gens can even run high 14's stock? not many. for that rare situation that the 97 max got 14.7, we shouldn't generalize that its common, as you didn't for the GTP's.
and please stop saying the GTP is a pos because it rattle's inside or the dash looks cheap...etc. my maxima rattles inside, my engine makes stupid noises when its cold outside. as cars age they are bound to get these little imperfections that weren't there when new, its a fact of life.
as for the main topic of the thread, if you get a ypipe and intake, you will gain power, but i would still say the GTP has the advantage in a race.