4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Recalled Alternator gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 01:08 PM

Recalled Alternator gone bad?

I had my alternator changed last summer due to the recall Nissan had on them. Didn't have any problems since they changed it.

Then two weeks ago, I was driving around, and I noticed that when I started my car, the clock was VERY dim, and if I turned on my headlights, the ABS light would come on, and the airbag light would start flashing, also the dash lights would be abnormally dim. If I drove around for a couple of minutes like that, the clock would be fully lit and the ABS/Airbag lights would disappear. This went on for a couple of days.

That same weekend, I tried to start the car..NOTHING. It would turn, but wouldn't power on. Thinking "It can't be the alternator because I just got that changed like 6 months ago" I went ahead and changed the battery. A week went by with no problems, until this past Saturday, when I noticed the lights were dimming, and if I turned on the headlights, hazard lights, A/C and stereo, the ABS and Airbag lights were acting up again and the car cranked VERY slowly at start up.

Fed up with this, I just went to Nissan today and they said that the alternator is shot! Said that some diode was faulty, and that one of the wires was glowing bright orange, which was gonna lead to a fire so they told me to leave it in overnight as the new alternator is coming tommorrow. And obviously, its at no cost to me because the alternator had warranty on it.

I'm kinda disappointed I guess because I had miss work today to get this problem fixed as I have to get to school in the afternoon. They gave me a rental car for the day as well, so it's ok.

Didn't they recall the altenator because a diode may have been defective? Then all of sudden, the new part that was suppossed to be fixed is still faulty. Hmmm...Anyways, sorry about the long post, I just thought I'd share this with you guys. Thanx for listening.