4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cost of Starter Solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cost of Starter Solenoid

Hi all,

Im a bit new to posting on this forum. I've been lurking for the past few days reading up on tips on how to keep my car (97 Maxima GXE) in shape and diagnose problems. I am grateful and thankful to all of the members whose posts have been helpful (I'm sorry too many users to list but there have been alot.)

Just wondering but can anyone tell me how much would the starter solenoid costs to replace?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

anyone?
Old 02-06-2003, 04:29 AM
RKS

starter

I am not sure because I changed mine about 2 years ago but...

I believe the cost after the core exchange was about $175 from a local auto parts chain.

If you have the Haynes manual and basic tools you can easily do this. (I am mechanically retarted and I did it.)
Old 02-06-2003, 05:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Cost of Starter Solenoid

Originally posted by WhutsPoppin
Hi all,

Im a bit new to posting on this forum. I've been lurking for the past few days reading up on tips on how to keep my car (97 Maxima GXE) in shape and diagnose problems. I am grateful and thankful to all of the members whose posts have been helpful (I'm sorry too many users to list but there have been alot.)

Just wondering but can anyone tell me how much would the starter solenoid costs to replace?

Thanks
I believe they go for around $65 at Autozone or NAPA.
Old 02-06-2003, 05:21 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Can you get the Solenoid seperately?

If so, people with starter failures should jump the old one and see if the car starts before they go out and purchase a completely new starter. I bet quite a few starters that have been replaced could very easily have been fixed for less then 1/2 the price of a new one.

As a matter of fact, between the drying grease problem and the solenoid I bet upwards near 75% of the starters replaced didn't need to be.

Comments anyone??
Old 02-06-2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Can you get the Solenoid seperately?

If so, people with starter failures should jump the old one and see if the car starts before they go out and purchase a completely new starter. I bet quite a few starters that have been replaced could very easily have been fixed for less then 1/2 the price of a new one.

As a matter of fact, between the drying grease problem and the solenoid I bet upwards near 75% of the starters replaced didn't need to be.

Comments anyone??
You're right, many times it is only the solenoid that needs to be replaced, not the entire starter. Mine went out last summer, so that's how I know about the $65 cost. At the time, Autozone and NAPA both had prices for solenoids only, but didn't have any in stock. Since I needed the part right away, I got one from the junkyard for the same price but with the starter attached.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:13 AM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

You're right, many times it is only the solenoid that needs to be replaced, not the entire starter. Mine went out last summer, so that's how I know about the $65 cost. At the time, Autozone and NAPA both had prices for solenoids only, but didn't have any in stock. Since I needed the part right away, I got one from the junkyard for the same price but with the starter attached.
I have read up on the greasing issue with an old starter and am familiar with motorvate website. However, I have a question regarding the solenoid. Is the solenoid failure related to the dried up grease issue? Or are both independent of each other? The reason I ask is because I have a 96 Max and the start does "grind noise" on startup generally. And I have been too lazy with the cold weather to regrease it. But if both are related, I might be more inclined to get off my butt and fix it rather than pay $65 to get a new solenoid when it fails.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

This is very good information and should be part of the sticky thread. Anybody have a P/N for the Solenoid? Lets get this up there.
Old 02-06-2003, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by amb4081

I have read up on the greasing issue with an old starter and am familiar with motorvate website. However, I have a question regarding the solenoid. Is the solenoid failure related to the dried up grease issue? Or are both independent of each other? The reason I ask is because I have a 96 Max and the start does "grind noise" on startup generally. And I have been too lazy with the cold weather to regrease it. But if both are related, I might be more inclined to get off my butt and fix it rather than pay $65 to get a new solenoid when it fails.
My starter did begin to make the noise a couple of months before the solenoid started acting up. I pulled the starter and greased the gears, but the solenoid went out anyway shortly after. I think the two issues are unrelated, but it does raise suspicions.
Old 02-06-2003, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
This is very good information and should be part of the sticky thread. Anybody have a P/N for the Solenoid? Lets get this up there.
At autozone the solenoid is wells ss495, and is $61.99. This isn't a stocked item at most locations, so it would have to be prepaid and usually get it in two- three days.
Old 02-06-2003, 03:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys, I just wanna say thanks for all the info. Its been helpful.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:28 AM

Starter or Solenoid

I've been having the starter noise after start-up happening now for about a year. Due to my laziness, as of yesterday, my starter is just spinning and not engaging to the flywheel (I think). My battery is fine but my engine is not turning over.

My question is, do I need to replace my solenoid or starter or both? Do I need to try to regrease the starter? Does the solenoid come with a new starter when you buy it from the parts store?? Any answers?? Thanks.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:44 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: Starter or Solenoid

Originally posted by MercerMax
I've been having the starter noise after start-up happening now for about a year. Due to my laziness, as of yesterday, my starter is just spinning and not engaging to the flywheel (I think). My battery is fine but my engine is not turning over.

My question is, do I need to replace my solenoid or starter or both? Do I need to try to regrease the starter? Does the solenoid come with a new starter when you buy it from the parts store?? Any answers?? Thanks.
when you turn the key.. all you hear is WWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, a constant sound.. not the sound like the car is turning over.. hopefully regreasing will work.. or just the soleniod needs to be replaced..

i am replacing my battery first. (since it needs to be) then if me car still does not work, then the greasing and solenoid will be next for me..
Old 02-08-2003, 08:33 AM

Re: Re: Starter or Solenoid

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

when you turn the key.. all you hear is WWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, a constant sound.. not the sound like the car is turning over.. hopefully regreasing will work.. or just the soleniod needs to be replaced..

i am replacing my battery first. (since it needs to be) then if me car still does not work, then the greasing and solenoid will be next for me..
Thanks for the help. I think I'm just going to get a new starter/soleniod assembly. More money but less time. I have tests all next week. I have to study some time.