4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Positive battery cable help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 03:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

Positive battery cable help

I've searched, and not many people here, that I could find, have changed or talked much about the 2 separate wires from the positive cable that lead to a harness in the fuse box. Here's a link that talks about something very simialr that has been happening with my car. http://www.samscars.com/mage9.html If anyone can tell me how to change the positive cable, I'd be happy. I already changed the neg. cable and it helped, but it still does the no start thing every now and again. I know the main cable goes to the starter, but the other 2 look like they go to the fuse/relay box right next to the fender well, and also, there is a harness connection plug that connects right at the positve cable just before the 2 "other" wires head off to the relay box. How hard to change/repair these wires?

Thnx
Old 02-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Positive battery cable help

Originally posted by NmexMAX
I've searched, and not many people here, that I could find, have changed or talked much about the 2 separate wires from the positive cable that lead to a harness in the fuse box. Here's a link that talks about something very simialr that has been happening with my car. http://www.samscars.com/mage9.html If anyone can tell me how to change the positive cable, I'd be happy. I already changed the neg. cable and it helped, but it still does the no start thing every now and again. I know the main cable goes to the starter, but the other 2 look like they go to the fuse/relay box right next to the fender well, and also, there is a harness connection plug that connects right at the positve cable just before the 2 "other" wires head off to the relay box. How hard to change/repair these wires?

Thnx
The no start problem can also be the starter. I pulled mine, cleaned it with aerosol electrical cleaner and regreased with Amsoil Synthetic grease. The grease on the 3 gears and ring gear in the starter dry out and thicken causing the problem. Takes about 75 minutes to do the whole thing. Also cleaned starter and solenoid electrical connections as well as battery terminals and clamps. There is a nice write up and pictures for this on www.motorvate.ca.
Hope this helps!